PDA

View Full Version : Video out through firewire

Salem TV 17
08-31-2009, 08:36 AM
One thing I would like to see the future generations of the tricaster have is the ability to output video through firewire. I use a Sony HDV deck to record my productions and the only inputs that the unit has is firewire, s-video and composite. It would be nice to be able to record a higher quality video and also be able to record in 16:9 without the video being squeezed.

SBowie
08-31-2009, 10:31 AM
That's what the Export to Tape feature in Edit Media does. From the manual:

Export to Tape - This feature uses the IEEE 1394 Preview to send the current project to a DV device (As noted elsewhere in this manual, HDV files can be captured by TriCaster. Ultimately, however, the Edit Media section output is standard definition – hence HDV export is not supported.)

Quiet1onTheSet
08-31-2009, 05:58 PM
Steve has addressed a good portion of your issue, from a post-production perspective, admirably. Here are some additional considerations, that are LIVE PRODUCTION based - but as further reading intimates, a significant deficiency in regard to your expressed concerns, may very well lie with your chosen Sony HDV deck.

...It would be nice to be able to record a higher quality video...

Of course, if you've got TriCaster PRO™ or above, that matter is likely an issue with your Sony DV deck not having a Component input; since arguably, your best quality output from these TriCaster™ models would be Component (barring the Serial Digital Interface (SDI) output provided by TriCaster BROADCAST™).

be able to record in 16:9 without the video being squeezed.

If your TriCaster is utilizing 2.0 or later version of TriCaster software, then you've already got the ability to output a 16:9 SD signal. If recording to your DV deck during LIVE PRODUCTION, then simply launch TriCaster™ in the 16:9 Mode.

Input sources to TriCaster 2.0 and later, which are 16:9 will be properly output to your Sony DV recording deck; and any input source that's not 16:9 can be stretched into a 16:9 aspect, via the LiveSET™ "Aspect" Utility.

Q1

theStreamDotTV
09-02-2009, 04:19 AM
If your TriCaster is utilizing 2.0 or later version of TriCaster software, then you've already got the ability to output a 16:9 SD signal. If recording to your DV deck during LIVE PRODUCTION, then simply launch TriCaster™ in the 16:9 Mode.

By recording to a DV deck during LIVE PRODUCTION, do you mean via FIREWIRE? I haven't been able to figure how get my audio and video to output via the firewire port. Can you? If not, does anyone know? (and not from the edit module... but the switcher for archiving a live show.)

This would be ideal as it would keep everything digital with your existing hardware and no SDI. Technically, you could go outbound firewire right into final cut pro and capture directly to any format you wanted.

Quiet1onTheSet
09-03-2009, 05:01 AM
No, I cannot suggest this is possible via FirewireŽ.

TriCaster has plenty of concurrent processng capabilities during LIVE, yet FW streaming isn't an option. Instead, analogue A/V out to your deck during LIVE is your only option since you lack SDI/AES-EBU digital A/V respectively, a workaround in the form of FirewireŽ would consist of your simply attaching a digital A/V converter such as those offered by ADS, Canopus, Sony, Blackmagic Designs: Convert TriCaster's squeakly cean Component and Audio output to a COMPRESSED DV stream for your DV deck thereby.
Q1

SBowie
09-03-2009, 06:17 AM
...you could go outbound firewire right into final cut pro and capture directly to any format you wanted.Keep in mind that converting the video output to DV for IEEE1394 transmission necessarily imposes a drop in image quality (particularly color fidelity). This is not a TriCaster limitation, it's a fact of life. And it would make no difference whether the conversion took place internally or externally.

SDI (if you have it) or component would be best, but really any analog output - including lowly composite - to a higher (than DV) quality capture card would be a better 'simultaneous transfer' arrangement.

Quiet1onTheSet
09-05-2009, 09:25 AM
Couldn't have said it better myself, Steve. I think convenienc over quality can have benefit in some situations, f rhe quality after compression is yet considered "acceptable".

But that said, many think that DV is really da bomb, fidelity-wise. But It is no!

Q1

theStreamDotTV
09-17-2009, 01:12 AM
I just don't think the solution should be... 'get more hardware' every time i ask something here.

And i'm not debating the fact about the quality loss over DV... but it's become a standard that many people are fine with, so why not have the option?

So my question stands.... "COULD IT BE A FEATURE?" ... as i don't believe it's a hardware limitation.

SBowie
09-17-2009, 07:59 AM
So my question stands.... "COULD IT BE A FEATURE?" ... as i don't believe it's a hardware limitation.More of a decision as to what is important I think - reliable live performance, or compromised performance with realtime DV out. Again, the latter would require a fair bit of attention from hardware to perform the compression to DV format, which could interfere with more important tasks. I suspect that's the principal reason it's not an option.

Adam_LightPlay
09-17-2009, 11:10 PM
I see many professional broadcasters still using Composite. My minimum is Y/C and I've done hundreds of professional and broadcast shows with no complaints.
My point is, with a good quality S-VHS cable and Audio cable into your DV or HDV deck you vshould be fine.

Paul Lara
09-18-2009, 10:32 AM
I just don't think the solution should be... 'get more hardware' every time i ask something here.

Can we start by noting that TriCaster itself is already replacing a significant amount of hardware in your live production kit?

DV [has] become a standard that many people are fine with, so why not have the option?

Please understand that inherent in the design of TriCaster's live production capabilities is the assumption that everything that CAN be happening is happening: several video channels + clip playback + titles + transitions + recording + streaming + archiving and all of that fits within the amount of CPU cycles available on the machine. Adding real-time DV out simply pushes that over the top, and jeopardizes the smooth playback of your live production. Perhaps on future TriCaster models, with Quadcores and PCI Express pipes, this might be possible. I'm not saying 'never' - just not with the shipping hardware.