PDA

View Full Version : how do you use LW?

erikals
08-30-2009, 08:56 PM
i've always been curious about this...

geo_n
08-30-2009, 09:06 PM
in terms of? a vague question.
I use it to annoy my max only collegues when they want work done I do it in lw instead and they can't comment or critic because they dont know anything in lw of what it can and can't do so they leave me alone to do the work the way I want. Lol!

edit: ok now there's a poll. much clearer.

Lamont
08-30-2009, 09:42 PM
I use LW when I can't stand Maya. Usually for accurate modeling of products and un-cluttered tools.

Oedo 808
08-31-2009, 12:05 AM
A hobbyist.

IMI
08-31-2009, 12:22 AM
Do I use it in my house?
Yes I do, I modeled a mouse.

Do I use it in my car?
Why, yes, I modeled a pair of womens' underwear...

Larry_g1s
08-31-2009, 12:45 AM
I use it at work everyday.

cresshead
08-31-2009, 02:08 AM
hard to pick an answer that fits...

i use llightwave for some just for fun projects so that's gonna be hobbyist
i use lightwave for freelance work like felix project and venus rises
i use lightwave for work like the book illustrations for saq international

i'd agree that maybe i use lightwave 2 or 3 days a week as it's mixed in with zbrush and 3dsmax.

anyway i picked work 2 days or less just to be on the cautious side!

DiedonD
08-31-2009, 02:16 AM
hard to pick an answer that fits...

i use llightwave for some just for fun projects so that's gonna be hobbyist
i use lightwave for freelance work like felix project and venus rises
i use lightwave for work like the book illustrations for saq international

i'd agree that maybe i use lightwave 2 or 3 days a week as it's mixed in with zbrush and 3dsmax.

anyway i picked work 2 days or less just to be on the cautious side!

Hard to pick here aswell. Im a hobbyist that uses less then 2 days a week for instance!

Its not there on that list! Must a hobbyist use it regularly! Nah, has other things that must be engaged with!

BTW - This cat picture of yours Cress is better than all else Ive seen before :)

So what do you do, tell the cat 'Ok, your chin a bit up, a bit more, now look distant, as if youre in mysterious thoughts... No, didnt work, better look through me, like a wolf! Yeah thats it, thats the girl, you want the meat dont you!' while you hold a mean camera? :D

cresshead
08-31-2009, 03:23 AM
BTW - This cat picture of yours Cress is better than all else Ive seen before :)

So what do you do, tell the cat 'Ok, your chin a bit up, a bit more, now look distant, as if youre in mysterious thoughts... No, didnt work, better look through me, like a wolf! Yeah thats it, thats the girl, you want the meat dont you!' while you hold a mean camera? :D

you have seen the big version?:D
http://www.newtek.com/forums/showthread.php?t=101522

OnlineRender
08-31-2009, 03:45 AM
Im the same kinda give up with LW for the moment , been using MAX & 3dc

edit not gave up more side tracked with other apps .

SplineGod
08-31-2009, 03:50 AM
Ive used it all the time as the last several studios Ive worked at for the past few years, I also use it for most of the freelance work I do and I also use it as a hobbyist... :)

DiedonD
08-31-2009, 03:59 AM
you have seen the big version?:D
http://www.newtek.com/forums/showthread.php?t=101522

Sorry, I just realized it! My condolences!

akademus
08-31-2009, 04:20 AM
freelance work -i use it 3 days or more a week
use it at work -i use it 3 days or more a week

both! I pretty much use it everyday for more than 3 hours these days...

COBRASoft
08-31-2009, 05:40 AM
Mostly hobby (1-3 days a week), for some logo's and icons for work (once or twice a month). My software development just takes too much of my time :)

Lamont
08-31-2009, 06:24 AM
LightWave is pretty much EOL here - reduced to utility status.I hear you on that. I just wish I could use it more. My big thing is games and the things I need don't even work right. So now I just render things in it. Well, the last big thing I did in LW game related was a Gundam model. I might do my Unearthly model in LW as well.

IMI
08-31-2009, 06:52 AM
I haven't used LightWave for months. My needs (modeling/rendering/workflow!) are better covered elsewhere.

I haven't *quite* reached that point yet...
But I just finished a project that absolutely required using other software to make up for Modeler's glaring and numerous deficiencies.

Layout, however... I don't think there's much that can render better than LW.

GraphXs
09-30-2009, 04:21 PM
I use it as a mixed pipeline with Max. Modeling for our games, and sometimes rendering for FX and pre-vis assets. I also use it for freelance work.

digefxgrp
09-30-2009, 04:38 PM
I use it to annoy my max only collegues when they want work done I do it in lw instead and they can't comment or critic because they dont know anything in lw of what it can and can't do so they leave me alone to do the work the way I want.
:ohmy: :thumbsup:

sublimationman
09-30-2009, 06:18 PM
I’ve been using Lightwave off and on since the first Amiga version. Took a 4 yea hiatus though and still catching up.

Now I use it to create product mock-ups form my web sites as well as to create still images for the advertising industry. I also do an occasional animation for a local public TV station.

I end up using it at minimum 4 days a week and max out at 7 days. Still trying to create an 8th day to get stuff finished :-)

Matt
09-30-2009, 06:48 PM
I voted 3+ more times a week at work, but I also use it for fun at home. But have been learning modo too.

colkai
10-01-2009, 01:18 AM
Hobby, not been using it much lately as have had "life" stuff to do, but normally, I fire it up a couple of times a week. Never actually made any money from it, though I've done the odd bit of 3D for friends for payment in Brandy, which is nice. :)

Red_Oddity
10-01-2009, 02:49 AM
Haven't voted as the options are too limited.

I still fire it up once in a while, mostly when we need to clean up models that Maya turned into incoherent garbage piles, or when i need some proper modeling tools.
Rendering in it for jobs is very rare (last one was for Philips and it was done in the 9.5 Open Beta, so, you do the math), almost everything we do these days is primarily Maya.

All the other time i use it as a hobby tool.

Zimtower
10-01-2009, 02:57 AM
I am a hobbyist and I have mastered everything in lightwave, I am focusing on practice with animation and different rendering techniques and I am getting quite fast at projects. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wc-Ckt8aGTM This was my last project which took only a year or about 30 hours total to make.

Fadlabi
10-01-2009, 03:25 AM
A hobbyist.

Lewis
10-05-2009, 01:08 PM
5 days week at work and 5-6 days at home for freelance (no such choice or multiple choice so i had to check 3 days at work).

Hieron
10-05-2009, 05:18 PM
My main job is in a physics lab and writing my PhD thesis. Years ago a professor noticed I could make 3D animations (from hobbying) and I started doing that on the side.

So now I work 4 days a week on my PhD, and besides that all waking hours in LW. Sleep would be nice again one day though :) Not 100% sure what I'll do when I get the PhD.. the 2 don't really match that well...

A Mejias
10-05-2009, 06:18 PM
I'd like to use it more.

bugzilla
10-05-2009, 09:27 PM
Maybe my situation is a little different from others. I am a Multimedia Designer for a university so I get projects that use LW sporadically. I have used it at my job to model and animate simulations for medical, engineering and children's education as well as to make general graphics for DVD menus. I also use it at home. I have created Star Wars fan films and other animations using it. I am currently using Modeler to create models for a couple iPhone game I am working on, but I am using Blender to animate since it has better character animation tools and imports seamlessly with Unity, the iPhone game development tool I am using.

virtualcomposer
10-05-2009, 11:33 PM
I use it as freelance work Usually texturing and composite but sometimes model and hopefully after my job interview on Wednesday, 8 hours a day. ( : I am totally against Max and Maya. I'm a Lightwave-Houdini-Blender man!!

meshpig
10-06-2009, 02:29 AM
Hobbyist, even though I get paid for things done in LW often enough. I use it everyday to salve my ever deteriorating eyesight and to retain eye-hand coordination.
- If you look at the poll as it stands now "hobbyists" are predominant because LW is reasonably priced and moreover, it's a very sensible and rich application which has a broad appeal... imho.

Cageman
05-12-2010, 04:59 PM
Layout, however... I don't think there's much that can render better than LW.

Aye.. LWs renderer is very good at texturefiltering (among other things). I had a talk with one of the game-artists here at work and everything he puts into his portfolio regarding low-res props etc are all rendered with LW because even lowres textures looks really good with it.

:)

erikals
05-12-2010, 05:01 PM
don't forget motion blur ;]

Netvudu
05-13-2010, 01:38 PM
Everyday at work for all kinds of stuff, right now mostly commercials. For the really tricky stuff I use Houdini. LW render rocks. Period.

prometheus
05-14-2010, 01:38 AM
I Use it daily for product renders of gym machines.
pipeline goes through solidworks-deep exploration and imported to lightwave
for surfacing and renders and some welding and remodeling of cushions.

And as a hobby waver, free time goes to fiddling with effects.

Michael