PDA

View Full Version : B & W Photo restoration " any tips "

OnlineRender
08-30-2009, 12:33 PM
I've been making an animation for a client when he asked " could you fix some old pictures for me " Since he is paying well i said sure no bother . . I have corrected some of the issues but is there any tips or tricks i can use to get a cleaner image , the scanned image he gave me are heavily pixilated / diluted . i reduced the noise and cleaned the obv mistakes , im not happy with the colour correction . .
TBH i think the client will be happy but im not theres just something wrong with the image maybe you guys/gals " politicaly correct " maybe able to solve it .
any help would be good , Jpeg Image attached excuse the compression may look strange . . . ive also looked into colour restoration programs but they kinda look naff .

http://www.onlinerender.com/restore.jpg

JamesCurtis
08-30-2009, 12:47 PM
It would be best if you could scan the pictures yourself. That way you could scan the BW Photos at a much higher resolution and get the best image possible [less pixelation]. Lowest scan setting would be 300 dpi, best would be 1200, 2400, or even 4800 dpi.

It would require more memory to do higher res scans, but it gives you more to work with detail wise.

Hope this helps.

OnlineRender
08-30-2009, 12:50 PM
Ye i tried to say that to him , but he only has the scanned images now " the original where lost in a fire or something to that effect " . also it was jpeg format he gave me them so i wasnt happy about that either , but effectivley hes paid for my morgage for the next 2 months so i cant moan about it .
Cheers anyways .....

" just out of interest how much would you charge for a service of this nature , " only spent about 20 minutes on it " freebie and all "

JamesCurtis
08-30-2009, 01:07 PM
Actually, are there any photo labs in your area that do picture restorations? You may want to check that out, and use that as a guide with similar charges. Call around and act like you were wanting to get your pictures done.

How much to charge? You need to know how much your time is worth. Also, if there are a lot of pictures to do you may want to come up with a "bulk" price in that case.

I do 3D animation and other related graphics work for $45 per hour USD. I'm in the US, but I've been known to cut my rate when needed.

OnlineRender
08-30-2009, 03:42 PM
:hey:

I've been known to cut my rate when needed.

I would shovel SH!T for money .honest "theres certian jobs you try avoid and there's survival .

and yes there are some , but i reckon you can get away with chargin $20 + per Image ,depends , these are for free "but in honesty already accounted for somewhere in the bill , mainly for electricity LOL "

I printed one of today in our local pharmacy " crapy pc ,with crappy printer dressed up and dosn't even have usb 2.0 " you know .
The Image was decent enough .

I have a 3 in total to do . Ive been messing around with RECOLORIZEIT .

PS I told the client about posting his image as a baby . make it sound like hes an internet hit pmsl :hey:

JonW
08-31-2009, 12:52 AM
I did some wedding photos years ago, the slides were scanned on a Scitex scanner & there was lots of info to work with & lots of mould!

One can get a perfect job but unfortunately it takes time.

Try to get hold of the scanned images before they were compressed, or worse compressed then re-compressed.

Re touch BW in 16 bit.

Add a touch of film grain to the finished retouched image. UnSharp at a very low say 10-20% at 30 pixels to increase local contrast a little.

Overall its best to under do retouching rather than over doing it.

Double or quadruple the size of the image so you can fix details easier.

If its BW leave it as BW, it will be just more appropriate for the era.

Return the images mounted with a wide boarder to draw attention to the “new” image.

Have it printed on some Kodak Endura Metallic Paper, its the closest thing to the old Ciba Chrome. It will give the photo a feel of a third dimension & bring life to the image. This will make a bigger difference to the end image than extra hours of retouching. And it will draw attention to the finished image & not the digital file! Insist that you get the printing done, keep the image small, it will look better quality also.

I’ve printed a few things scanned from old photos I took 30 years ago on the Kodak Endura Metallic Paper. The final result was really good, mostly do to this paper. Get it printed at a professional printing bureau, its not worth the hassle doing it yourself.

P.S. I hate working with other peoples scans or photos, it just makes my life more difficult. Even more so when its not a RAW file.

Working with RAW files is akin to working with the negative or transparency, working with JPGs is like working with the 20 cent print!

Mr Rid
08-31-2009, 01:41 AM
I think you lost some resolution in your noise reduction- the pic became a bit blurred.

Here I applied a Reduce Noise to the left image, in PShop with "Preserve Details at 11'. It is about the same level of noise reduction as the pic on the right yet remains sharper.

But Grain Surgery (AE plug) is the most miraculous noise reduction tool I've seen.

PShop's Dust and Scratches tool is great for removing dust flecks and such. I have even been able to remove whole watermarks surprisingly well with it.

P.S. How the hell do you make an attached image appear full size in your post?

DiedonD
08-31-2009, 02:05 AM
Speaking of meddling with pictures, there was once a machine that two couples pictures taken, would come up with how their childrens would look like!

So, is there something in reverse! You take a picture and it makes you seem older in that pic?

OnlineRender
08-31-2009, 03:52 AM
Add a touch of film grain to the finished retouched image. UnSharp at a very low say 10-20% at 30 pixels to increase local contrast a little.

Overall its best to under do retouching rather than over doing it.

Double or quadruple the size of the image so you can fix details easier.

If its BW leave it as BW, it will be just more appropriate for the era.

Return the images mounted with a wide boarder to draw attention to the “new” image.

Have it printed on some Kodak Endura Metallic Paper, its the closest thing to the old Ciba Chrome. It will give the photo a feel of a third dimension & bring life to the image. This will make a bigger difference to the end image than extra hours of retouching. And it will draw attention to the finished image & not the digital file! Insist that you get the printing done, keep the image small, it will look better quality also.

I’ve printed a few things scanned from old photos I took 30 years ago on the Kodak Endura Metallic Paper. The final result was really good, mostly do to this paper. Get it printed at a professional printing bureau, its not worth the hassle doing it yourself.

P.S. I hate working with other peoples scans or photos, it just makes my life more difficult. Even more so when its not a RAW file.

Working with RAW files is akin to working with the negative or transparency, working with JPGs is like working with the 20 cent print!

Excellent knowlegde and advice , champion . . . . .

OnlineRender
08-31-2009, 03:55 AM
P.S. How the hell do you make an attached image appear full size in your post?

lol cheers much appricated . .

goto advance in the post , click on the yellow mountian icon and add the direct link , 9 /10 i upload the pictures to my server then i can input the direct link

or use bbcode .... insert url between this

Andyjaggy
08-31-2009, 09:42 AM
Would he happen to have the negatives, you can do magic with them if you have access to the original negatives

Nikon Coolscan is your friend. :)

OnlineRender
08-31-2009, 09:45 AM
i dont even have the originals let alone negatives , but i know what your talking about , i bought a negative scanner from fleebay for $100 about a year ago not brilliant but worked for what i needed , came in handy ,but since then its sat in the cuboard .

radams
08-31-2009, 11:08 AM
Hi Online Render,

Restoration is a passion and hobby of mine.

What will be the end product you are trying to create from this...
A new print...what size?
To use in the animation?....what size?

First, you did a decent job of correcting some of the creases...
But the first thing that stands out is that you overly contrasted the image.
Crushed the darks and blown out the whites...with loss of detail in the grays...not just with your denoise...but overall.

A few tips.

1) isolate elements
2) use layers, and more layers and more layers...

What I mean is instead of trying to work over the whole image at once.
Break the main features of the image into their own isolated layers...
and work to keep the overall middle grays to keep definition...

This way you can also combine layers that have denoise effects and those without...blending them together and with maskes to help focus on elements ..which will give the impression of better sharpness and focus.

For me I may make 10 to 100 layers depending on the subject and elements.
There really is so much one can do...but it is very time intensive...and an eye to learn where to isolate and mix, match, blend.

A couple years back I took a friends photo, one from a relative who had lost their son...and the only picture they had from his childhood had been destroyed rips, stains etc.....When I finished is looked like it was just taken...
and we printed a 8x10...and some 4x6 for them.

It was an amazing moment seeing the mother's face.

How familiar are you with Photoshop?

Here is another suggestion....

If the scan is bad so that you can't blow it up...

Then Print it at a resolution that it does look good...

Then rescan it at a higher resolution...so that you can blow it up.
There are some methods digitally..through fractals etc....but those results can be mixed...

Also think of making multiple layers and passes...of the highlights, midtones...(make several), and the shadows....the add feathers maskes...then blend them together...this really can help to keep definition and still push the contrast without the crushed darks...and blown out whites.

Cheers,

OnlineRender
08-31-2009, 11:29 AM
damn this is 1 informational thread , cheers much radams ,cant express enough apprication to everyone for there help . .

TBH im not spending to much time on these images " dont want to say to the client sorry i never finished your animation cause i got engrossed in your old images " lol

but understand fully what your saying and some damn nice tips there . . .
photoshop im decent enough better with After Effects though...

heres another

ITS like a mini challenge LOL . . . . . . . .. . . . feel free to use and abuse if your bored . "clients cool with it "
http://www.onlinerender.com/imagefix.jpg

radams
08-31-2009, 12:38 PM
Here is just a start of what I've been talking about...this took 30 minutes to get to this level...
Two version..one with a darker vinette

Cheers,

OnlineRender
08-31-2009, 01:08 PM
Here is just a start of what I've been talking about...this took 30 minutes to get to this level...
Two version..one with a darker vinette

Cheers,

I'm going to get a bill threw my door now ? lol , Champion ,nice work , i can see the difference straight away sharper looking and more fluent again im in debt to yourself .

Mr Rid
08-31-2009, 02:53 PM
Speaking of meddling with pictures, there was once a machine that two couples pictures taken, would come up with how their childrens would look like!

So, is there something in reverse! You take a picture and it makes you seem older in that pic?

You can submit a jpeg for free here which will create a 3D mesh based on cross referencing a database of zillions of faces. May then drag sliders to see older, younger, fatter, thinner, male to female.
http://eonhuman.ning.com/

Check out the Tom Hanks demonstration-
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nice6NYb_WA

radams
08-31-2009, 09:37 PM
Hi Again,

Attached is a little more with about an hour or so work done on it.

Cheers,