PDA

View Full Version : Turbosquid and Autodesk now?

hrgiger
08-29-2009, 04:50 PM
I just got an email about Turbosquid with the following message:

TurboSquid has some exciting news -- today we signed a major agreement with Autodesk to benefit our sellers. TurboSquid has been named as Autodesk® Seek's exclusive marketplace provider for the purchase of user-generated 3D content. TurboSquid will provide marketplace services for 3ds Max, Revit, Maya, Softimage, AutoCAD, Mudbox and other Autodesk application files.

We’re so excited about the opportunities this agreement will offer that we wanted to share the news with you right away. We’ll make an official announcement with Autodesk in the next few weeks.

So another acquisition by AD? Does this mean anything for people with .lwo or other file types?

This smells evil to me...

robertoortiz
08-29-2009, 05:01 PM
Well gotta love the Empire...
I wonder what will happen to all non Autodesk content on the site.
And what will happen to companies that were doing similar services
(like Renderosity), will they be allowed to sell Autodesk content?
Like models and plugins?

-R

Red_Oddity
08-29-2009, 05:35 PM
... will they be allowed to sell Autodesk content?
Like models and plugins?

-R

Why wouldn't they? Autodesk doesn't own the rights to the models we make, so we decide where we sell those models.
And should AD demand some stupid Autodesk software compatible only files policy, i'd say to them and TS; 'your loss and go f*** yourself.'

cresshead
08-29-2009, 05:41 PM
autodesk and turbosquid have had strong ties for many years, i think around max 3 or 4 we got turbosquid discs on the installers along with 3dsmax in the box.

SplineGod
08-29-2009, 06:18 PM
There isnt that much LW content there anyways and its never been that much of a problem to use assets in other formats. They are evern pretty helpful about converting things for you. NT should have done something like this awhile ago and has been asked to host 3d objects, plugins etc years ago. Somone else eventually does it.
As far as it being AD who might or might not be aquiring it I dont see it as necessarily a bad thing. Many 3d sites dont support Lightwave all that well. CGSociety is even one of t hem. Its a matter of supporting places that support the tools you use or starting up such a place. Another thing is to have tools around that easily allows assets to be brought into LW. So far it hasnt been a real problem. :)

Andyjaggy
08-29-2009, 06:43 PM
we'll wait and see what this entails for us, if anything.

If they do only allow products that are in an Autodesk format, then they can say goodbye to me, even though I could easily convert most of my stuff on there to open in Max, I won't, simple on principle.

SplineGod
08-29-2009, 07:24 PM
To be honest I dont think it will have much impact. LW can import obj. 3ds fbx and collada. For most of the things Ive had to look for on TS few were in lwo format or few that were in lwo format were worth bothering with.

Riff_Masteroff
08-29-2009, 07:50 PM
Yes, I know, fast projects, no time. But still, with LightWave's tool set, it is better to make your own. Cheaper, better, maybe not exactly faster. Just my opinion.

My take is that most ppl who buy content aren't truly experienced in the app of their choice. (here comes the eggs thrown at me)

JamesCurtis
08-29-2009, 09:53 PM
Riff,

I CAN and DO model my own objects when the need and time allowed to arises. In some cases, there simply is no time allotted in a budget to create from scratch and using LW to modify models at least gives a start point.

SplineGod
08-29-2009, 10:03 PM
Yes, I know, fast projects, no time. But still, with LightWave's tool set, it is better to make your own. Cheaper, better, maybe not exactly faster. Just my opinion.

My take is that most ppl who buy content aren't truly experienced in the app of their choice. (here comes the eggs thrown at me)

I would probably agree in general but IVe noticed a trend towards clients/studios etc wanting more and more faster and faster for less and less. :)
Its really about picking and choosing ones battles. How important is the custom handcrafting of assets vs the final rendered output? If I only really have time to animate one hero character but need several other background characters moving then Im going to put the personal touch to the hero character and use mocap etc on the background characters. In the end its less about the journey as opposed to getting things done and approve by the client in tha alloted time to release the magic paycheck :)

Red_Oddity
08-30-2009, 05:58 AM
If we need say, a car model that holds up on close ups, and a freelancer costs around 400 euros a day end he needs 5 days to model a convincing car, you can bet your arse we buy the $200 insanely detailed car model from TS or 3DStudio.

It sometimes is the only way to be able to compete in todays 3d market.

Riff_Masteroff
08-30-2009, 06:15 AM
Yes, I admit that I was talking out of the both sides of my mouth. Yes, if it comes right down to character, I am a terrible person. :-)

The general topic is Autodesk's recent involvement with Turbosquid. More specifically, are 'purchased' models desirable or needed.

For sure I cannot speak from your perspective. However, I have my own well worn set of shoes. As you probably know, I work in the construction industry and mess with construction models of real projects. The projects I have been involved with range in total cost from 100mil USD to more than 2billion USD. More and more, by contract, 3d model(s) describe the very specifics of what is to be built. Definitely not independent archviz.

Turbosquid (and the like) is a non-starter because these models are the intellectual property of some entity. And many times not that of the architects. Noting that a complex construction model consists, almost always, of many different models superimposed. All kinds of different software is used to create the sub-models. But.......
Far more dangerous, from my point of view, is Autodesk's ongoing initiative to legally require all of the participants of a particular construction project to use only Autodesk branded software. Autodesk writes a "CAD" standard that the owner (gratefully?) incorporates directly in the "specifications". The main selling point (shlock) is that all the computer stuff will now be compatible. The other selling point (shlock) is that Autodesk software can do anything better than you.
Still....models need to be purchased in my neck of the woods. A general contractor will write contracts with each of many subcontractors. For a handful of major subcontractors the GC writes a 3d model requirement into their contract. Many times the resulting model will either be total garbage or in need of adjustment. I cannot clean or modify these. I have to directly (or chain of command) tell the creators to do it themselves or else. Wouldn't it be nice if you could tell the turbosquid content guy to go fix it, right now.

the Lightwave community, for the most part, would recognize and support the use of LW in a so-called CAD environment. For me, I use Lightwave to create, examine the work of others, and to assemble for comparison many different models from all the huts in the construction village. It is a superior app that cannot be replaced with another.

Viktor (LWCAD) and other developers help greatly with the actuality, but not with the perception.
:jam:

geo_n
08-30-2009, 06:31 AM
As a seller at TS I can say that lw sales have been good for the past years. Its a model format thats easily converted. I'm sure people who buy lw format use it in maya, c4d. Just last week I sold a lw/kray model. And the company I work for just bought some max fruit models as well. Lol! Model format is becoming irrelevant. Animation scenes are different of course.
I'm hoping core doesn't abandon legacy lw format completely.
I haven't received that email about autodesk. Were they bought? I hope they do. I've been pushing license verification for artists over there for years but the management just won't do it reason being that a stolen guitar and any music the thief creates is not criminal. So any models created by pirated software is ok. What an analogy they use. If autodesk asks for license I am sure TS would be a cleaner site.

jaxtone
08-30-2009, 06:41 AM
AutoDesk are taking over the world... may the force be with us!

Wow... I never thought anyone sold anything out there, except from when I bought some stuff from time to time to cut down production time. (Well in most cases I had to re-model the purchased item anyway because it hasn´t been modeled in a smart way.)

But really, you mean that you actually produce content in Lightwave and sell it on the web? Great! Maybe I am naive but I never even thought of selling stuff to fellow 3D guys but when thinking of it there might be others than me that also need to cut down processes...

Damn, I got a sack full of old content from both sharp projects and sidekick modeling. But how do you know they don´t trick you?

As a seller at TS I can say that lw sales have been good for the past years. Its a model format thats easily converted. I'm sure people who buy lw format use it in maya, c4d. Just last week I sold a lw/kray model. And the company I work for just bought some max fruit models as well. Lol! Model format is becoming irrelevant. Animation scenes are different of course.
I haven't received that email about autodesk. Were they bought? I hope they do. I've been pushing license verification for artists over there for years but the management just won't do it reason being that a stolen guitar and any music the thief creates is not criminal. So any models created by pirated software is ok. What an analogy they use. If autodesk asks for license I am sure TS would be a cleaner site.

jaxtone
08-30-2009, 06:51 AM
Riff! I see what you mean and think you are both right and wrong.

I buy models from time to time because I haven´t got time to create the models in projects where budget doesn´t allow it. Then it doesn´t matter how fast you are since the time plan can´t afford this extra side step that a model takes anyhow.

But in one way I have to agree, and that is just because many of the models seems to be very bad planned by their creators.

First of all the amount of polys are mostly extremely high. This is of course unecessary in most cases and it seems like the producers of this content just have added poly on poly to make the models look great. But for all of us working with time dependent productions we always wan´t the opposite to cut render times and to get a decent workflow in both modeler and Layout.

What I would like to have is different levels on each model in Subpatch mode so you easily could manage to extend or change the purchased model to fit your project. As it is now I mostly have to re-model my purchases using the purchase only as a pattern.

There´s another thing that disturbs me but maybe someone have an easy solution to this. It´s a downpeak when models made in 3D studio or other softwares are delivered with triangles. I think I did read somewhere about a plugin that could fix this but forgot where! Anyone?

geo_n
08-30-2009, 07:06 AM
Wow... I never thought anyone sold anything out there, except from when I bought some stuff from time to time to cut down production time. (Well in most cases I had to re-model the purchased item anyway because it hasn´t been modeled in a smart way.)

But really, you mean that you actually produce content in Lightwave and sell it on the web? Great! Maybe I am naive but I never even thought of selling stuff to fellow 3D guys but when thinking of it there might be others than me that also need to cut down processes...

Damn, I got a sack full of old content from both sharp projects and sidekick modeling. But how do you know they don´t trick you?

To tell you the truth I know other top sellers there that make anywhere from 500-5000US a month for doing nothing but waiting for sales. Stock photo is actually much much bigger market:D.
You might think a car is a good seller but sometimes it doesn't sell at all. As I said we bought a fruit basket for 90US recently just because we didn't have time to do it and we needed some. :D
Very hard to predict what sells and what doesn't so personally I wouldn't make selling 3d a priority. Just to supplement a hobby for me.:D

robertoortiz
08-30-2009, 09:07 AM
Ok let me start by saying that I would not worry about the LW format...
At least in terms of the object files.

And about this deal, well I got some concerns.
Keep in mind that this is speculation on my part...

I understand the need for license verification for assets sold on Turbosquid, but my concern is that I have heard reports of audits of studios that DONT use software that is owned by Autodesk.

In those cases it was the responsability of the studio/artist that the content was not created by hacked software.
Here is my concern...

What happens if I bach convert all my LW models to Maya files on a friends machine? (Something I can do)
Since I did not own the software that was used to convent the content, and I dont own any licenses of AD products, does that open the door for a software audit?

And for those who are new to the concept of software audits,
welcome to the new world
Here are some tales...
http://searchcompliance.techtarget.com/news/article/0,289142,sid195_gci1340705,00.html

OnlineRender
08-30-2009, 09:15 AM
got to admit there hold on the market is getting stronger ............ core has to crack the market or it will get drowned out ,the viral marketing idea was great but came to anti-climax , need something like that again . maybe in 2 - 3 years everybody will use core , but i cant see it in the near future . youll see blender becoming more and more common in mainstream productions . and so it should be for a free app . turbosquids is just another gap filler for AD ....

cresshead
08-30-2009, 09:18 AM
we appear to be in the middle of a silly season... a witch hunt more like and the ever so 'evil witch' is deemed to be autodesk as usual...8/

look, if you want autodesk to fade away, then start making competative apps that blow their apps out the water...everything else i read here just comes across as sour grapes.

robertoortiz
08-30-2009, 09:23 AM
I can understand your point cresshead...

As I said, as somone who has been keeping an eye on this industry for almost 20 years, I just have some strong concerns.

geo_n
08-30-2009, 09:25 AM
Ok let me start by saying that I would not worry about the LW format...
At least in terms of the object files.

And about this deal, well I got some concerns.
Keep in mind that this is speculation on my part...

I understand the need for license verification for assets sold on Turbosquid, but my concern is that I have heard reports of audits of studios that DONT use software that is owned by Autodesk.

In those cases it was the responsability of the studio/artist that the content was not created by hacked software.
Here is my concern...

What happens if I bach convert all my LW models to Maya files on a friends machine (Something I can do)?
Since I did not own the software that was used to convent the content, and I dont own any licenses of AD products, does that open the door for a software audit?

And for those who are new to the concept of software audits,
welcome to the new world
Here are some tales...
http://searchcompliance.techtarget.com/news/article/0,289142,sid195_gci1340705,00.html

You have a point about your friend. But he does have a license for maya right? So theres a valid license in that case. No piracy involved. Its something in the gray area maybe or even a stretch if ever it was brought to court. Similarly, I dont think anyone is supposed to profit from educational software which I think if you used a friends license is about the same. Just my opinion. Not sure if most Eula states that only the owner of a license is allowed to use the software commercially.
The problem with 3d websites is you dont know who actually has a license and in the forum a lot of kids sell their stuff for too low a price for legit artists to compete with.

edit: I've never heard about software audit. Will look into it.

robertoortiz
08-30-2009, 09:36 AM
My friends here in DC all have valid versions of Maya, Softimage and Max.
Most if the people I know in the DC market act professionally about their licenses.

And in the federal government, at least for the visualization market, the CIO has a tight lock on what gets installed on the production machines.
This is why blender has a problem making inroads in this market. (Keep in mind that NASA is another story since they are very independent. After all they took the US Government to court, but that is another tale)

Anyway about my concerns,
What if, I generated the content at home, but I converted in the office after I am off the clock with the permission of my boss? Did I do something illegal? Does this open the door to an audit?

If so there is no way in hell that a Audit lawyer will set foot in a secure facility to verify licenses.

Keep in mind all these questions are speculation on my part:
I posted the questions I have on the Turbosquid forum:
http://www.turbosquid.com/Forum/Index.cfm/stgAct/PostList/intThreadID/35226

geo_n
08-30-2009, 09:47 AM
My friends here in DC all have valid versions of Maya, Softimage and Max.
Most if the people I know in the DC market act proessionally about their licenses.

And in the federal goverment, at least for the visualization market, the CIO has a tight lock on what gets installed on the production machines.
This is why blender has a problem making inroads in this market.

Anyway about my concer,
What if, I generated the content at home, but I converted in the office after I am off th clock? Did I do something illegal? Does this open the door to an audit?

If so there is no way in hell that a Audit lawyer will set foot in a secure facility to verify licenses.

Again in your case you used a valid license. No piracy involved which is not the case in 3d websites.
Being on or off the clock means you used licensed software of your company/employer. IT IS LICENSED, and depending on the eula with that software is the restriction on how you can use it.
I don't see how a friend can grant you the authority to use his license. An employee like in your example would be different as he's being paid to use the software for the company that bought the software for commercial purposes.
I'm not a lawyer but best to look at the eula.:D

cresshead
08-30-2009, 10:04 AM
save as obj, dxf or 3ds, lwo, dae, xsi...or fbx...or....blend...those can be output by any app including blender, wings3d for objects/models

if you save as an app specific such as zbrush, 3dcoat, modo, cinema4d, houdini, formz, vue, 3dsmax or maya then you'll have to have a licence to do so,

Intuition
08-30-2009, 10:05 AM
I'm all pro capitalist and everything and even enjoy some of the corporate developments over the last 30 years, so with that premise please understand when I ask this.

When the hell do the monopoly laws take effect with Autodesk?

This is getting ridiculous.

cresshead
08-30-2009, 10:15 AM
I'm all pro capitalist and everything and even enjoy some of the corporate developments over the last 30 years, so with that premise please understand when I ask this.

When the hell do the monopoly laws take effect with Autodesk?

This is getting ridiculous.

i'd gues when it becomes a monopoly....

let's see :question: ...Auotdesk still needs to aquire>>

houdini
zbrush
cinema4d
lightwave
3d coat
modo
messiah
sketchup
formZ
vue
terragen
moi
vray
final render
pixar renderman
mental images
brazil
daz3d studio pro
poser
bryce
carrara
strata
silo

look at the stranglehold of adobe...photoshop is the defacto photo editing app yet they have not invoked any monopoly status..even when they purchased their rival macromedia..look at the job market in that area...for "photoshop required" jobs
you don't see photoshop or any paint app...like corel painter, paintshop pro, gimp...they specify photoshop...
and illustrator
and flash
and dreamweaver
and indesign

ALL adobe products...

OnlineRender
08-30-2009, 10:16 AM
not a monopoly ,just good buisness practice . I dont belive in some of there practices but i can assure you ,if NT was in there position they would be buying up left-right and centre .
but they belive in morals instead of buying up software the build a new program aka CORE .
let the arguments begin,,,,,,,,,
as for Adobe buying up macromedia they built it up better , so it cant be a bad thing . . .

Titus
08-30-2009, 10:27 AM

Wrong, it's not illegal to have a monopoly, from wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monopoly):

"Competition law does not make merely having a monopoly illegal, but rather abusing the power a monopoly may confer, for instance through exclusionary practices."

AD doesn't need to own all the 3D programs. Microsoft doesn't own all the OS, but they abuse their dominance position.

Red_Oddity
08-30-2009, 10:31 AM
But the same can be said about Microsoft, they don't own the entire market, there's still OSX, Linux, Unix, Solaris, BSD, etc.

Why is MS punished for bundeling a browser or a mediaplayer, but Apple isn't?

Sure, AD has the largest market share with 3d tools aimed at the entertainment industry (about 70%), but i get the feeling that being called a monopoly depends more on in who's tea you pissed than how much market share you have, see, there's not that many lawyers, senators, EU commissioners you can piss off by screwing up a 3d toolset, you can piss them off however by writing a sh!tty webbrowser or an OS that has more holes than a colander.

cresshead
08-30-2009, 10:32 AM
Wrong, it's not illegal to have a monopoly, from wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monopoly):

"Competition law does not make merely having a monopoly illegal, but rather abusing the power a monopoly may confer, for instance through exclusionary practices."

AD doesn't need to own all the 3D programs. Microsoft doesn't own all the OS, but they abuse their dominance position.

well it was a 'guess'

Q. do you see abobe abusing their position?
for instance buy an abobe product in the u.k is 250% higher than in the usa...

Red_Oddity
08-30-2009, 10:32 AM
Doh, seems Titus just answered my question.

OnlineRender
08-30-2009, 10:35 AM
AD aint abusing well maybe just a little ......there just covering all aspects of the game . installing Microsloth as industry standard on new machines now thats a monopoly . pass go do not collect $200 edit in a rES ITS ONLY $100 NOW

If AD & ZB become as one then where all &*^%ed

IMI
08-30-2009, 10:38 AM
AD aint abusing well maybe just a little ......there just covering all aspects of the game . installing Microsloth as industry standard on new machines now thats a monopoly . pass go do not collect $200 edit in a rES ITS ONLY $100 NOW

That's not a monopoly, that's a symbiotic business relationship between computer manufacturers and a software developer.

There are alternatives. A monopoly is when there are no alternatives.

cresshead
08-30-2009, 10:38 AM
re o/s'a the netbooks all started out with a linux variant on them as standard until the consumers demanded an o/s that THEY prefered...there were MANY netbooks returned as customers were NOT happy...then we got netbooks shipping with windows xp and all was good.

it's called market forces....the customer [the one who pays] wanted xp NOT linux, microsoft did a deal whereby xp could be installed cheaply on netbooks and also extended the life of xp to accomodate customers who wanted a familiar operating system over what they percieved cludgey toy town broken o/s [linux variants]

OnlineRender
08-30-2009, 10:42 AM
That's not a monopoly, that's a symbiotic business relationship between computer manufacturers and a software developer.

ye i can see dell moving to Linux ohh wait a second they did . you can ubuntu instead of win

do you know Micheal Dell started with only $1000 capital . not bad . . . . . also from Texas seems to be alot of good companies from there must be something in the Water

Titus
08-30-2009, 10:58 AM

Yeah, that's a good defense for drug addicts: they have a "symbiotic business relationship" with their drug dealers.

IMI
08-30-2009, 11:00 AM
Yeah, that's a good defense for drug addicts: they have a "symbiotic business relationship" with their drug dealers.

It's hardly the same thing.

hrgiger
08-30-2009, 11:02 AM

let's see :question: ...Auotdesk still needs to aquire>>
houdini
zbrush
cinema4d
lightwave
3d coat
modo
messiah
sketchup
formZ
vue
terragen
moi
vray
final render
pixar renderman
mental images
brazil
daz3d studio pro
poser
bryce
carrara
strata
silo

That's a stretch to say most of any of these are competitors to Autodesk's main business which now seems to be major 3D applications.
The only 3 on there that are close are Lightwave, Houdini and Cinema. Modo still does not have a full solution so I wouldn't count it. Most of the other things you listed are specialty applications which are often used in conjunction with another major 3D application. Some of the others....well does anyone seriously think that a program like Bryce or Poser are competitors to Maya or Max or XSI? Not anyone who has thought about it anyway.
The fact is, monopolies or even monopoly tendancies if that's what you want to call it curb innovation. AD has little motivation to spend money or take risks on innovation when they already own a major chunk of the market share. They're just as motivated to push their stock up a couple points by cutting their labor costs and getting rid of the people who made the product what it is.
I'd really love to see CORE come out swinging at AD in the next few years. Corporations have a tendancy to get a bit too big for their own good.

And no, I don't like Adobe either. I think it's ridiculous that they, now with their takeover of Macromedia, have 20 different programs that all do variations of the same thing-graphics. Both Adobe and AD could sure use a healthy dose of competition.

OnlineRender
08-30-2009, 11:07 AM

i second that motion

IMI
08-30-2009, 11:15 AM
Try as I may, I can't hate Auotodesk. I'll make fun of them from time to time because it's The-In-Thing-To-Do, but their products are outstanding.
Same with Microsoft.

Mudbox is kinda weak though. Zbrush is making it look like Play-Doh, and I think it will eventually be absorbed into Maya, Max, and Softimage as a plugin

OnlineRender
08-30-2009, 11:34 AM
you cant really hate anybody unless youve been stabbed personaly in the back with them , i bought max about 5 months ago and im finding it a dream . plus ive nearly made my money back so i aint complaining and the people there help alot . .

just do what Andrew Shpagin done build your own .... then you cant moan . . .
( but thats another debate which ill stay well clear of )

cresshead
08-30-2009, 11:47 AM
you cant really hate anybody unless youve been stabbed personaly in the back with them , i bought max about 5 months ago and im finding it a dream . plus ive nearly made my money back so i aint complaining and the people there help alot . .

just do what Andrew Shpagin done build your own .... then you cant moan . . .
( but thats another debate which ill stay well clear of )

you raise a valid observation...3d coat is being inventive and it's development seems to be at a high pace even with just 1 programmer at the helm he's managed to get up there and rub shoulders with zbrush and mudbox.

that's exactly what newtek CORE needs to do except rub shoulders against maya/houdini/xsi and max...offer an alternative and gain momentum by ading in some inventive ideas as well as the 'me too' offerings.

manholoz
08-30-2009, 02:35 PM
merge trigon x?

Ernest
08-30-2009, 04:53 PM
you raise a valid observation...3d coat is being inventive and it's development seems to be at a high pace even with just 1 programmer at the helm he's managed to get up there and rub shoulders with zbrush and mudbox.

that's exactly what newtek CORE needs to do except rub shoulders against maya/houdini/xsi and max...offer an alternative and gain momentum by ading in some inventive ideas as well as the 'me too' offerings.That's an interesting point. When 3D Coat 1.0 was released, nobody would have placed it in the same galaxy as Z-Brush. However, it has lightning-speed development that would have left any competitor in the dust, if one such competitor wasn't Pixologic, which is another development freak.

Today, it doesn't matter how distant 3DCoat 1.0 was from the others, or how limited it was. All that matters is how fast it's developing and how powerful and innovative it is today.

So many people are waiting to see CORE 1.0 to see if it will offer benefits. However, if the big benefit of CORE is the new SDK, the true improvement will be a lightning fast rate of development, like the previous examples. And that improvement can only be seen/measured after the first release.

jaxtone
08-30-2009, 07:59 PM
When someone compares Autodesk´s eager business methods with other giants such as Microsoft and Adobe I guess one must think again! I am saying this knowing I can´t change the business rules but at least I didn´t accept the Autodesk greed with silence. (For what it´s worth.)

The thing that bothers me most is not whether AD buy all the software´s in the world and either kill it or develope it in their rental policy. The problem as I see it is that they sell you a software that you never own. It´s like a lifetime rental sentence where you never are independent enough to the Autodesk product you payed for and swap to something else. That´s not a reality with Adobe, Microsoft, Steinberg or most of the other consumer products out there but in deed a painful fact in the house of Autodesk´s policy.

In my opinion that´s why I feel Autodesk sucks all the way to Hades!

IMI
08-30-2009, 11:34 PM
The thing that bothers me most is not whether AD buy all the software´s in the world and either kill it or develope it in their rental policy. The problem as I see it is that they sell you a software that you never own. It´s like a lifetime rental sentence where you never are independent enough to the Autodesk product you payed for and swap to something else. That´s not a reality with Adobe, Microsoft, Steinberg or most of the other consumer products out there but in deed a painful fact in the house of Autodesk´s policy.

In my opinion that´s why I feel Autodesk sucks all the way to Hades!

Yeah, AutoDorks sucks alright. May their board of directors become infected by a plague of frogs, locusts and boils, and all that.

Then again, as far as "owning" the software and being able to sell it, what are you going to do, sell your Max 2009 to someone 3 years from now? How much would you expect to get from that sale when by then it's so obsolete that it might as well not even exist?

And along the way, you probably made a hundred times more money using the software than you spent buying the software.

Look at it like most other things you buy: it has only a limited lifespan, and you get what you can out of it in the meantime.

cresshead
08-31-2009, 02:14 AM
And how many of those you listed are complete modeling and rendering apps like XSI, Max and Maya? How many of them are used in the highend industry?

you asking 2 different things..pro and full...

full and hi end
houdini
modo
cinema4d
sketch up
form z
lightwave
rhino
zbrush [limited animation though]

pro renderers not owned by autodesk
final render
vray
pixar renderman
mental images
brazil renderer

not full but pro
vue
terragen
massive
3dcoat
silo

not pro but full
carrara> it's a full app though not regarded as maybe 'pro' but then again lightwave is marketed as hobbyist by newtek most of the time.

then you look at adobe...as i pointed out they control just about ALL the jobs in the 2d industry for print and web

cresshead
08-31-2009, 02:34 AM
The thing that bothers me most is not whether AD buy all the software´s in the world and either kill it or develope it in their rental policy. The problem as I see it is that they sell you a software that you never own. It´s like a lifetime rental sentence where you never are independent enough to the Autodesk product you payed for and swap to something else.

it's not 'rental'
you personally own a lifetime liecence to 'use' the app, the subscription service keeps you 'on the current version'.

the best way to explain it's like you bought a driving liecence...YOU can drive with that licence but you cannot sell it to a friend or stranger to enable them to drive a car and on subs you get to upgrade that licence each year to keep the type of 'car' current that the licence grants you to drive.

if you stop subs you have a licence to use the last current version your subs gave you and any updates/bug fixes that come along for that version in the future.

:i_agree: it's not ideal and isn't the 'norm' when you look at other 3d app vendors but that's autodesk's way of doing things...you either buy it 'as is' or you choose to use one of the other 30-40 3d apps out there NOT made by Autodesk...there's still plenty of CHOICE out there unlike the 2d print/web industry which is totally dominated by adobe now.

really if you want core and lightwave to grow, newtek and their 3d app userbase need to get on well with maya,xsi,motion builder,mudbox etc rather than flee the scene calling them 'the enemy' and trying to hunt them down with pitchforks and a pile of stones.

modo has embraced the CAD market and created good links to the top cad apps to import and render it also modo does sculpting but was intelegent enough to SEE that a goZ link would be a positive move to link zbrush and modo together.

rather than build a wall around lightwave/newtek they should talk to other apps and get on with each other more...

which as i see it is the WHOLE POINT of lightwaveCORE

hrgiger
08-31-2009, 04:04 AM
you asking 2 different things..pro and full...

full and hi end
houdini
modo
cinema4d
sketch up
form z
lightwave
rhino
zbrush [limited animation though]

full and hi end? sketch up and formz NO Modo NO Rhino NO Zbrush NO

Do these programs have dynamics or particles? They can't exactly compete with a full application in this and several other areas. Character Animation? UVmapping?

OnlineRender
08-31-2009, 04:08 AM
you forgot particle illusion LOL ,which i made add backyardigans animation use .

jaxtone
08-31-2009, 04:36 AM
I don´t know where you get your information but it´s definitely not from the same source as AD. A few years ago before AD put their hands on XSi we hade invested in three damn expensive Maya licenses but they didn´t meet our expectations so we wanted to get rid of them as soon as possible which of course wasn´t a piece of cake. The whole sales process ended up in a total failure because of AD´s insane sales policies. We had to invest in three XSi licenses and still keep the Maya licences we weren´t pleased with... (oops, who didn´t think of this?)

I hope you understand that this is my personal point of view based on a very expensive experience and no comparisons with "drivers licenses" will change that for sure.

it's not 'rental' you personally own a lifetime liecence to 'use' the app, the subscription service keeps you 'on the current version'. the best way to explain it's like you bought a driving liecence...YOU can drive with that licence but you cannot sell it to a friend or stranger to enable them to drive a car and on subs you get to upgrade that licence each year to keep the type of 'car' current that the licence grants you to drive. if you stop subs you have a licence to use the last current version your subs gave you and any updates/bug fixes that come along for that version in the future.

Gee, of course I want CORE to grow just as much as any other waver. Just to remind you I have probably been over-critical since -98 in many bad things in the LW interface that are connected to a non compatible 3D soft that LW has been for a long time.

When talking off building fences around Lightwave´s software I guess Newtek´s choice of isolation are what to blame for the lack of communication between other industrial 3D-standards rather than my critisism of Autodesks greedy license policy.

... really if you want core and lightwave to grow, newtek and their 3d app userbase need to get on well with maya, xsi, motion builder, mudbox etc rather than flee the scene calling them 'the enemy' and trying to hunt them down with pitchforks and a pile of stones.

modo has embraced the CAD market and created good links to the top cad apps to import and render it also modo does sculpting but was intelegent enough to SEE that a goZ link would be a positive move to link zbrush and modo together.

rather than build a wall around lightwave/newtek they should talk to other apps and get on with each other more...

I am not anti any of Autocads software´s and guess they have some of the best in their catalogue, I just hate their rotten license policy!

jaxtone
08-31-2009, 04:40 AM
I guess the Max 2009 was added as an ironic example but no, I haven´t got a Max license or a plan for selling it!

But maybe you have convinced me to buy one and sell it directly just to show off how wrong their license mumbo jumbo is. But I guess not since I would be the only one that get ripped off. ;)

Yeah, AutoDorks sucks alright. May their board of directors become infected by a plague of frogs, locusts and boils, and all that. Then again, as far as "owning" the software and being able to sell it, what are you going to do, sell your Max 2009 to someone 3 years from now? How much would you expect to get from that sale when by then it's so obsolete that it might as well not even exist? And along the way, you probably made a hundred times more money using the software than you spent buying the software. Look at it like most other things you buy: it has only a limited lifespan, and you get what you can out of it in the meantime.

cresshead
08-31-2009, 04:50 AM
full and hi end? sketch up and formz NO Modo NO Rhino NO Zbrush NO

Do these programs have dynamics or particles? They can't exactly compete with a full application in this and several other areas. Character Animation? UVmapping?

all depend what 'you' regard as full...
lightwave isn't full...doesn't have fluid dynamics
max isn't full doesn't have fluid dynamics
cinema4d doesn't have fluids..

only full apps are maya, softimage, blender and houdini then?...ohh scratch blender...it's not "pro" is it?
actually scratch softimage as it's nurbs tools are poop compared to maya's...
actually scratch maya as it's fluids are rubbish compared to houdini...

so...houdini then...huge list!

full can mean end to end for a project...if the needs are a still image then zbrush is end to end, so is modo...
you can certainly create a children's illustrated book with 3d illustrations using zbrush or modo for example.

if you don't need fluids then max, cienma, modo come back in from the cold...

if you need to create a game for xbox then houdini, lightwave, modo and blender may struggle whereas 3dsmax, softimage and maya would be ideal for it with directx pixel shaders

if you need to create with nurbs then you'll not list lightwave, modo,blender..but might list maya, 3dsmax, cinema

if your hi end production requires solid modeling...then formZ or go get the plugin for 3dsmax..where as maya, houdini and softimage will be useless to even consider...you may, for product devlopment need to look into delcam powershape for example.

hi end means it's used by pro artists and studios/prdouction that certainly is formz, rhino and sketchup..you mayn need to 'get out more' and have a look around at what people use and not just film productions...try 'production' which can mean real things made not just images...real things like buildings, engines, mass produced items like toys and electrical items...can also mean packaging and point of sale displays.

3d really is 'everywhere' not just film/tv/games

the idea is that CORE is a base to which it can link into many types of productions and is maluable enough to be a part of all types of 3d production needs.

modelers are not end to end usually...but "could be" if you want to use art to part to mill a physical model...you just need the model file to create the final product.

bottom line it's hard to make a 'list' at all..or very easy..all depends on what your looking for to include/exclude.

OnlineRender
08-31-2009, 05:58 AM
everyone seems to overlook Blender " which i would consider a FULL app "

GandB
08-31-2009, 06:19 AM
Looking very much forward to 2.5 and the new UI!

cresshead
08-31-2009, 06:28 AM
everyone seems to overlook Blender " which i would consider a FULL app "

not everyone...but alot appear to!

i think currently that blender is like Pollyfilla

http://www.polycell.co.uk/web/media/images/catalogue/medium/polycell_one_fill_polyfilla.jpg

it seems to fill any gap in your 3d app:D

though when 2.5 is ready to play with in october..well..not so sure if that might be the other way round!

3DBob
08-31-2009, 06:31 AM
Here in India, The Software dealers I have spoken too that sell AD products have had to sign an exclusivity deal where they cannot sell competing products.

If they do sell competing products, they are excluded from selling AD products.

3DBob

cresshead
08-31-2009, 06:49 AM
Here in India, The Software dealers I have spoken too that sell AD products have had to sign an exclusivity deal where they cannot sell competing products.

If they do sell competing products, they are excluded from selling AD products.

3DBob

abit like a car dealer then...nothing new when you see it tha way.

IMI
08-31-2009, 06:58 AM
I guess the Max 2009 was added as an ironic example but no, I haven´t got a Max license or a plan for selling it!

But maybe you have convinced me to buy one and sell it directly just to show off how wrong their license mumbo jumbo is. But I guess not since I would be the only one that get ripped off. ;)

Dude, you just make no sense most of the time, and don't seem to be real big on that whole reading comprehension thing.

jaxtone
08-31-2009, 07:49 AM
IMI! Here´s the deal and I hope you will accept it.

I the future I guess we can switch to write in Swedish language only which happends to be my native code of text and reading. Let´s see if you make more sense in Swedish than I do in English!

Guess not! :D

Dude, you just make no sense most of the time, and don't seem to be real big on that whole reading comprehension thing.

IMI
08-31-2009, 08:01 AM
IMI! Here´s the deal and I hope you will accept it.

I the future I guess we can switch to write in Swedish language only which happends to be my native code of text and reading. Let´s see if you make more sense in Swedish than I do in English!

Guess not! :D

That has nothing to do with it and once again you prove my point.
You understand English well enough to write it and well enough to reply to it. Your reply to what I had written was thoroughly out of context and made no sense. I've noticed that before in many of your posts though and I think you're so obsessed with your own opinion and what you want to say that you completely ignore what others have said.

suneelkumar85
08-31-2009, 08:10 AM
Like models and plugins?
----------------------------------------

robertoortiz
08-31-2009, 08:11 AM
Guys, lets keep it civil. This is not a matter of life and death after all.
-R

IMI
08-31-2009, 08:20 AM
Like models and plugins?

Hasn't that already been answered?
You buy the rights to use the software and you also buy the rights to do whatever you want with the content you create.
AutoRip doesn't have any say in where you can sell your models. Turbo Squid may, I suppose, but it wouldn't really be in their best business interest to exclude content made with non-AutoWreck apps.

IMI
08-31-2009, 08:22 AM
Oh wait, damn... that's that spammer guy who pastes previously posted messages so as to appear to be a legitimate member.

Can someone please do something about that guy?

Edit:
Reported. Hopefully he'll get banned - that's damn irritating to waste time with a reply to something you think is a legitimate post from someone.

OnlineRender
08-31-2009, 08:32 AM
lol "damn i love this forum " IMI you crack me up ....

IMI
08-31-2009, 08:58 AM
lol "damn i love this forum " IMI you crack me up ....

Yeah, I aim to please. ;)

Dude got banned though so I guess my reporting him worked. Every one of his 6 posts were exactly like I said above - pasted-in copies of previous messages from random people, starting a few months ago.

OnlineRender
08-31-2009, 09:27 AM
who are the mods now , i see at the bottom of vbulletin its still proton " but i aint seen him 4 awhile " mega busy man i guess " , or is it just generally anybody in the NT staff room logged at the time . . . .

OnlineRender
08-31-2009, 09:35 AM
have you not noticed its rather on the quiet side since Core Forums opened . . . . .

there plotting against us lol

IMI
08-31-2009, 09:41 AM
have you not noticed its rather on the quiet side since Core Forums opened . . . . .

there plotting against us lol

You are correct.
It's turning out exactly as I predicted many moons ago, when they started that whole nonsense of attaching "Super Member" to those who went Hardcore.
We're divided now. They have their forum and have developed their own clique. Many who used to post here in the Plebian Forums very regularly now are rather absent aside from a few.
They have nothing to discuss with us Commoners and Serfs. We're old news, obsolete, languishing in the cold, dead past. ;)

OnlineRender
08-31-2009, 09:50 AM
I made the wrong decission and spoke to my wife first about buying Core " she freaked " ..... the argument went like this " you just spent F&973N +$2000 on Max or whatever is called , you told me it was all you needed " .. .

damn . . on hold 4 now

IMI
08-31-2009, 10:03 AM
:lol:

IMI
08-31-2009, 10:06 AM
Hey look at post # 135 in THIS THREAD (http://www.newtek.com/forums/showthread.php?p=920648#post920648).

Looks like our suneelkumar85 guy managed to sneak one in there too before getting banned. ;)

OnlineRender
08-31-2009, 10:28 AM
ahahahahahahahhahahahahahah nice ,well in son .god loves a trier .

you cant ban people from forums for ever, if hes smart he will spoof his ip if hes clever he will spoof his mac , or goto Mcdonalds and use the cloud wireless ....lol ...

wonder what admin excuse was to him .
your annoyin beat it ..

pmsl

IMI brightened up my day .

OnlineRender
08-31-2009, 10:36 AM
ahahahahahahahhahahahahahah nice ,well in son .god loves a trier .

you cant ban people from forums for ever, if hes smart he will spoof his ip if hes clever he will spoof his mac , or goto Mcdonalds and use the cloud wireless ....lol ...

wonder what admin excuse was to him .
your annoyin beat it ..

pmsl

IMI brightened up my day .

kinda feel slightly sorry ......................IMI your a bad infulence mwhahaha

IMI
08-31-2009, 10:46 AM
kinda feel slightly sorry ......................IMI your a bad infulence mwhahaha

There's a reason why I left the word "member" in my user title. ;)

OnlineRender
08-31-2009, 10:46 AM
DAMN IM GOD yes GOD , i should use these skills for greater man kind

Probably worth a BAN

could give you his
Latitude
Longitude if that helps . . . . . probably broke forum policy myself BUT WORTH IT . . . .

person: Telecom IP NCC
address: TEO LT, AB
address: Savanoriu 28
address: LT-03501 Vilnius
address: L
remarks: ************************************************** *****
remarks: * ABUSE CONTACT: abuselt in case of violation, *
remarks: * illegal activity, scans, probes, spam, etc. *
remarks: ************************************************** *****
phone: +370 5 2367082
nic-hdl: LTIN1-RIPE
mnt-by: TELECOMLT-MNT
source: RIPE # Filtered
abuse-mailbox: ra.lt

% Information related to '78.0.0/17AS8764'

route: 78.56.0/17
descr: TEO LT, AB
origin: AS8764
mnt-by: AS8764-MNT
source: RIPE # Filterer

geo_n
08-31-2009, 12:05 PM
some history where turbosquid came from.

http://www.allbusiness.com/company-activities-management/company-strategy/6092930-1.html

And from the CEO.

TurboSquid was founded by four people -- myself, my brother, and two others. There were separate groups working on the idea, and my company was one, and Digimation was the other. The groups were ultimately incompatible, and Digimation was separated from TurboSquid in every way in April of 2002.

TurboSquid has been managed in the last seven years by my brother Andy and myself. Andy was the CEO and is now the chairman of the board. I was the CTO of the company at its founding, and I have run the company as CEO since 2006. Since 2002, the company has grown so that our sales in the average week are bigger than entire the first two years of operation where Digimation had involvement.

Digimation subsequently competed with TurboSquid. Their concept was to add the Viewpoint collection to a clone of TurboSquid called modelbank.com. Digimation ultimately failed in both the marketplace and plug-ins and quit the stock 3d industry entirely to focus on 3d service work.

A Digimation employee who worked with TurboSquid for a brief time at its founding named Jon Stoddard is trying to start up a competing site with Will McCullough from Highend3d. He brokered some kind of deal with Digimation so they could try to launch with some of the models accumulated at the defunct modelbank.com. A lot of artists are upset that Creative Crash didn't ask about selling their models, they just published them.

In any case, that's the history as I experienced it.

Matt
--
Matt Wisdom
CEO
TurboSquid

==================

Whatever the AD and TS deal is, Highend3D and digimation have an uphill battle against the empire.

Andyjaggy
08-31-2009, 12:46 PM
http://seek.autodesk.com/manufacturer.htm

This is what was referred to in the original letter, I don't think it is really going to effect anyone all that much.

OnlineRender
08-31-2009, 01:53 PM
Question can you buy shares in Newtek ? if so i want some . even if its only 1p

Edit just thought about Simpsons eps " here Bart have some more stock "

hrgiger
08-31-2009, 02:05 PM
Question can you buy shares in Newtek ? if so i want some . even if its only 1p

Edit just thought about Simpsons eps " here Bart have some more stock "

No, Newtek is not a publicly traded company.

GandB
08-31-2009, 02:24 PM
No, Newtek is not a publicly traded company.
Which is a good thing!:thumbsup:

hrgiger
08-31-2009, 02:27 PM
Yeah, a public company has to consider what the shareholders want and the only thing shareholders want is profit. Whether or not the product actually works worth a damn is a secondary concern.

Let me think of a good example of a public company.... Scanning the list....here we go, Autodesk.

jaxtone
08-31-2009, 02:30 PM
I don´t know how to answer this because it becomes so personal and O.T. It feels like if I answer in the same personal way and get on to you about how you express yourself instead of what you write unwanted friction will probably appear to other visitors in this thread.

I guess A.D. is the main topic at the moment and not what you think of me as a person. I can assure you that it has never been my intention to being a p.i.t.a. for anyone but I guess my ambitions to explain my point of view sometimes have been more accurate to me than how to write proper English. Im sorry if I in any way have hurt your feelings as a grown up man by not abandon my own opinions or making excuses for my point of view to make you less frustrated. Hey now, that doesn´t sound like an open communication on an uncensored forum, does it?

Well I shall think about what you wrote anyway since I am not too old to learn from it and you are more than welcome to express personal agressions anytime, but to make me understand what you really mean please respond in Swedish :D

That has nothing to do with it and once again you prove my point. You understand English well enough to write it and well enough to reply to it. Your reply to what I had written was thoroughly out of context and made no sense. I've noticed that before in many of your posts though and I think you're so obsessed with your own opinion and what you want to say that you completely ignore what others have said.

OnlineRender
08-31-2009, 05:10 PM
sniff sniff "whats that smell " its the smell of a closed thread "sniff sniff

GandB
08-31-2009, 08:29 PM
Got the email/notification that tomorrow is the beginning of non-guild members "subsidizing" Guild Members new 60% royalty (provided they have at least $10,000 lifetime sales). That's right, everything you have for sale on Turbosquid will now only net you a measly 40% as of tomorrow (unless you sign your life away and join the "SquidGuild"....reminds me of Sponge Bob for some reason). I have a compiled list of other places to sell your wares (as well as a mention of a new up and coming FREE program to easily transfer your files to multiple sites without compromising your files or passwords CG Uploader):

The TurboSquid "Debacle" (http://gameartistgroup.com/gag/index.php?article=77)

-Keith

Red_Oddity
09-01-2009, 03:06 AM
This whole SquidGuild sounds like a quick cash grab at the cost of the folks who helped them get where they are now.

cresshead
09-01-2009, 03:34 AM
Bull. Modo is not a true FULL app yet and as you said, neither is ZBrush. And Sketchup and FormZ can probably be counted on one hand the number of "professional" facilities that use them. You are really reaching here.

And "not a full app but pro" is ALSO stretching it. Vue is "called" pro and just because ILM uses them for STILLS does not make them a pro app. I also wouldn't consider 3D Coat or Silo in that category either since one, 3D Coat hasn't had severe market penetration yet and Silo is probably on the way out. That leaves Massive and Terragen.

So what will you say when AD takes a couple of these apps? Smart? No... it couldn't be that they are trying to make LOTS more money and edging even closer to a monopoly? No... of course not.

And we're talking 3D, not Adobe 2D market.

okay list ONE app that makes your 'full 3d app' and i'll punch a hole in that idea the size of texas thru it..:D

no app is a FULL 3d app....
just the same as every 3d app is a FULL 3d app.

you can make a list of no full 3d apps or make a list of 30+ full 3d apps..all depends on what your end goal is for the list and how the persons define "full" or "pro".

if your skewed goal is to make autodesk appear as they have control of the 3d market you can trim down 'how' you want to list
3d apps so that autodesk appears completly dominant of the '3d market'

on the other hand you can define the full and pro so that they hardly appear in a list at all.
are you getting this now?

"there's lies, dam lies and statistics"

cresshead
09-01-2009, 03:46 AM
Unless it has a built in previewer, instance replicators and Pixar's deep shadow map tech it's not a full app in my opinion :p

It really is a silly discussion. But I like silly...
:D exactly

remember maya 'complete'?
that had a whole load of things missing in the app...no fur, no cloth, no fluids, no live...yet it was 'complete' enough to be called 'complete' and find it's way in huge amouts into film, tv and game productions where they didn't need maya unlimited for 'their full 3d application specifications'.

jaxtone
09-01-2009, 04:28 AM
I´ve now read the information of the link you attached and I can truly say that I´ve only bought stuff from T.S. I have never put any of my own 3D objects in their hands. But without any doubts this reminds me of another company´s greedy and monopolistic policy. If this is just bad timing of a co-incidence when A.D. is taking over T.S. In that case some of us may send a big "thank you" to the stars above for shining so bright on the obvious!

Raw capitalism at it´s finest! :hey:

Got the email/notification that tomorrow is the beginning of non-guild members "subsidizing" Guild Members new 60% royalty (provided they have at least $10,000 lifetime sales). That's right, everything you have for sale on Turbosquid will now only net you a measly 40% as of tomorrow (unless you sign your life away and join the "SquidGuild"....reminds me of Sponge Bob for some reason). I have a compiled list of other places to sell your wares (as well as a mention of a new up and coming FREE program to easily transfer your files to multiple sites without compromising your files or passwords CG Uploader):

The TurboSquid "Debacle" (http://gameartistgroup.com/gag/index.php?article=77)

-Keith

akademus
09-01-2009, 04:52 AM
Did anyone joined the SquidGuild thing?

I decided not to, even if the buggers take 10 more percent, because I'd like to have my models for sale at other places as well!

Its a simple math for me. If you have, lets say, 100$ priced model, I'd rather earn 40$ from TS sale and another 60$ from other site than have it sold for 50% on TS.

I think in the end I could make more money having it on several places than only at TurboGuild :)

GandB
09-01-2009, 09:18 AM
I've looked at the averages that people have been posting here:

It looks like most people are averaging around 40% on other sites combined, at a minimum. Of course that rate at other sites will go up, when TS takes another 10% of your sales to pay for the Guild Members 10% increase in theirs. Let's see if this lasts as long as their old "subscription plan" that sold artist's work for pennies on the dollar....only to be eradicated (the plan) later on, mostly from seller outrage over it.

Raising your prices is an option; but you'll only be giving TurbSquid more money in the end.

-Keith

GandB
09-04-2009, 07:01 AM
Has anyone heard anymore of what the AD and Turbosquid "merger" is comprised of?

GandB
09-07-2009, 10:47 AM
Maybe it's not such a big deal after all, then. Is what they're doing different from the tentacles app they introduced for some modelers awhile back?