PDA

View Full Version : Writing on a texture

Paul_Boland
08-29-2009, 02:04 PM
Hi Folks.

I've modelled a starship and want to place the name of the ship across the front of it. The thing is, most of the ship is textured with a repeating texture called ShipHull. How can I place the ships name on the front without messing up the ShipHull texture which is already there?

Any advice appreciated.

SplineGod
08-29-2009, 06:39 PM
You can always layer your UV maps.

IMI
08-30-2009, 02:55 AM
Hi Folks.

I've modelled a starship and want to place the name of the ship across the front of it. The thing is, most of the ship is textured with a repeating texture called ShipHull. How can I place the ships name on the front without messing up the ShipHull texture which is already there?

Any advice appreciated.

Is the texture actually a texture, or is it a procedural material? I only ask that because of the way you specify "repeating".
If the model has UV maps you could use the surface baking camera (better) or surface baking shader (slower) to bake out an actual texture map for your model. The "repeating" texture will become one solid image map you can apply to your model, even if it's a procedural.
And then you could use Photoshop or something else to place text where you want it.

That's one way.

You could also make an image file for the text and an alpha to block out the area other than the text and use a separate image layer to place it exactly where you like, without disturbing the texture that is already there.

Or, you could physically model the text into the surface of the model wherever you want it, using Modeler's Drill tool, under the Construct Tab, in the Combine menu. With "Stencil" selected from the options, looking down the axis you want the text on. You can use a system font and the text tool, or model your own in one plane. That works great on polygonal models, not so great on sub-patches.

Note that if you try the last method you will probably run into smoothing errors (if you have smoothing checked) and have to adjust that with the smoothing slider in the surface editor or triangulate the mesh, at least in the text area.

Paul_Boland
08-31-2009, 12:33 PM
Thanks very much for the feedback. I'm managed to get the name on the ship by stenciling it on. This creates more polygons but I don't mind, I have the result I want. I'm not 100% sure about how to layer textures yet. Still have LOADS to learn about Lightwave.

Thanks again, much appreciated.

IMI
09-01-2009, 04:29 PM
Oh you're welcome, I'm glad it worked out for you.