PDA

View Full Version : A way to find points that might merge?

IMI
08-29-2009, 09:00 AM
In Modeler, when you merge points on a model, if you select Fixed you can specify a range.
Is there a way in Modeler to find points that will merge IF you run it at that setting, without actually running it? In other words, a way to select all the points that are not merged but are within a certain distance of each other.

Thanks. :)

SplineGod
08-29-2009, 07:16 PM
Would be nice wouldnt it?
Usually what i do is select points in the areas where I definately want some merging going on and then hit the m key. That way I know for sure that any merging will only happen in that particular area.

IMI
08-29-2009, 08:12 PM
Would be nice wouldnt it?
Usually what i do is select points in the areas where I definately want some merging going on and then hit the m key. That way I know for sure that any merging will only happen in that particular area.

Yes, it would be nice. ;)

Well the real problem I'm having is I have a rather hi-res model that wants to merge 8 points at default settings, which I think is one micron in distance.
I have no idea what points those are and no way to find out that I know of, but I'd really like to know.

I guess that merge tool was made back in 1956 when people were making models with only 10 polygons, huh? ;)

IMI
08-29-2009, 08:38 PM
It's getting frickin' irritating that Modeler is so outdated and so...lacking in so many ways.
For one (1) project, I've had to start three threads looking for tools that I've needed, that would seem to me, in 2009 Anno Domini, to be essentials, and I shouldnt have to be spending my time searching the expansive annals of plugin sites, some of which I can't even read because they're not in English.
I have had to try 4 different 3rd party plugins for this project, only one of which worked, and two different programs other than Lightwave Modeler, to get me through this.

I really really hope the things that are lacking - these seemingly specialty tools and all their ilk that might go overlooked - have been noticed and will be addressed in CORE.

I think I'm going to take my object into Layout now and make some FiberFX hair for it, just to complete the experience. There hasn't been quite enough frustration yet and I think that would help push it along.

IMI
08-29-2009, 09:02 PM
By the way, Larry, that recent thread where you told me about Spline Guides was a part of this project and was one of the things that actually went well.
I tried it out and have now added it to my tool tab of favorites. :)

IMI
08-30-2009, 03:27 AM
I have no idea what points those are and no way to find out that I know of, but I'd really like to know.

That's simple enough to do.
Look at the bottom left of the Modeler interface where it shows how many points you have selected in point mode. If you click on a point, it should say one down there. If it says more than one, then you have overlapping points, or points so close together that they look like one. Those would be the points that Modeler is wanting to weld.
So all you have to do is select all 50,000 points in your model one at a time and look at the count, until you have found those 8 that are wanting to merge.

Make sure you have plenty of coffee on hand while you do this.
Good luck!

cagey5
08-30-2009, 03:31 AM
See if this works. Perform the merge.
Lasso all the points to highlight them.
[CTL] z to undo the merge.
Invert selection and hopefully you will have the points to be merged selected.

IMI
08-30-2009, 04:00 AM
Man, you're a genius!

I never would have thought to try that, but it works perfectly.
Thank you much, sir. :thumbsup:

IMI
08-30-2009, 04:03 AM
Could an Lscript be written that does that without actually going through all the steps?

cagey5
08-30-2009, 04:06 AM
I was thinking the same thing. I guess it should be possible but I have zero experience of writing scripts.

IMI
08-30-2009, 04:12 AM
I was thinking the same thing. I guess it should be possible but I have zero experience of writing scripts.

Yeah same here.
I've made some of my own simple customized scripts in Layout using the command listener thingie, but Modeler doesn't have any tool like that.

probiner
08-30-2009, 04:22 AM
IMI don't you have MODO? Doesn't the Merge tool of modo allow you too change the merging distance interactivly while showing what points are affected byt the threshold?

Good Luck =/

EDIT: oops cagey already found a solution. hoooray

IMI
08-30-2009, 04:24 AM
IMI don't you have MODO? Doesn't the Merge tool of modo allow you too change the merging distance interactivly while showing what points are affected byt the threshold?

Good Luck =/

Yes, I have Modo 302, but didn't think to try it. I don't think I've ever used the merge tool in modo for that matter. Thanks for the idea though and I'll give it a shot. :)

SplineGod
08-30-2009, 04:29 AM
You should be able to create all or most of a script using lscript commander.

IMI
08-30-2009, 04:39 AM
You should be able to create all or most of a script using lscript commander.

In Layout, yeah, but that's not in Modeler, at least not anywhere I can see. Not in 9.6 at least. Seems to me as though it used to be in Modeler.
All I see is LScript, LScript/RT, LS Compiler and EXE Command. I don't see it in the Configure Menus box list anywhere either, and a search doesn't turn it up.