PDA

View Full Version : off topic> dyson

cresshead
08-29-2009, 12:52 AM
well at one time i had 5 cats in the house...
jaz, ripley, wilson, leelou and dyson

my last surviving cat dyson died this morning...he was old...not sure how old as he actually wasn't " my cat "but was a pet of a few doors down the street...when i moved here in 1996 with my 3 cats at the time...wilson my black n white cat must have invited him round...Dyson decided to stay..

i even had the owner door step me asking how come i kidnapped him!
i just said nothing to do with me...wilson must have told him it was 'easy life' here or something...

anyhow they moved on and Dyson stayed!

so...Dyson stayed here from 1996 until today...so not sure how old he was.

what to do now?...i've had cats since 1992..
it's going to be different around here with no cat annoying me.

cool toon cat>>
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I1qHVVbYG8Y

http://www.newtek.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=76690&d=1251528648

biliousfrog
08-29-2009, 03:09 AM
Sorry to hear that Steve, I hope that it wasn't too traumatic.

It's an unfortunate thing that we need to deal with when sharing our lives with pets. We don't have any cats here although we've got rabbits, guinea pigs, dogs and a tortoise and have had a number of our 'kids' pass away over the years. We strongly believe that every animal deserves to be nurtured and has an interesting personality to be found, unfortunately it makes it so much more difficult to say goodbye when you've devoted so much time to them.

I'm sure that another little friend will find it's way to you. Apart from the tortoise all of our animals have been rescued or 'donated' and they've all been a joy to look after. We lost our house rabbit a couple of years ago after he developed cancer around his eye. He was one of a kind, more or less a cat with long ears, and he'd keep us entertained for hours. Our current bunnies were hand reared wild rabbits, both runts and both caught by cats almost a year apart. They're a complete nightmare, nothing like our last one, but they're both adorable in their own way and we've got a converted shed and run for them to play in and destroy (imagine the siamese cats in Lady & the Tramp).

Take care.

Steve

cresshead
08-29-2009, 04:21 AM
thanks...dyson was on his way early this year...so not a surprise...though i thought he'd go in june...he was well past his 'sell by date' so to speak.

his thing was to 'meow without saying anything'...he'd look up at you and his mouth would mime 'meow', but no sound came out...he could meow but just saved it for special occasions...'cat's, each one has their way of doing stuff'!

btw he got his name cos he used to wait till the other cats finished eating their fill then came in and finished off the bowl s of food and licked them clean...sorta vaccumed up the food!....hence>>Dyson!

zapper1998
08-29-2009, 04:37 AM
Sorry to hear that Steve ...

biliousfrog
08-29-2009, 04:43 AM
My old boss had a cat that looked very similar and he did the mime meow occassionally.

Those Simon's cat animations are great aren't they...perfectly captured the expressions and movements.

probiner
08-29-2009, 04:52 AM
I never had a pet, rules of the house. Even when i had louses they were taken away from me =\ So i never had a animal at my care, so i don't know what you feeling.

Still, my condolences for your friend.

safetyman
08-29-2009, 10:50 AM
Sorry to hear of your loss, cress. We lost one of our beloved cats right before Christmas. Her name was Noel and she did the same thing; we called it silently meowing. She was sick for a while, but the vet couldn't find anything wrong with her. The night before she died, I picked her up to bring her downstairs to the basement to eat, but she just walked to her little soft cube "house" and layed down. My wife called me at work the next day to tell me that she had passed sometime during the night. She looked like she had just gone to sleep, no sign of any suffering, which was good. We miss her greatly, and so does her two "sisters", a 15 pound horse of a cat named Sophia, and a Yorkie-Poo named Lily, who was her best friend.

Some people absolutely hate cats, but they can be just as affectionate and loving as any dog. Noel, Sophia and Lily all would come running when I would get home from work, happy to see me. It's tough sometimes not to see little Noel there, rubbing my leg or sitting in my lap when I'm at the computer. But I know she's in a better place now, free from any sickness or pain.

Jim_C
08-29-2009, 11:09 AM
Get tto the shelter ASAP Cress, somewhere a little kitteh is calling your name!

My heart goes to you. I lost my cat of 19 years not long ago and it tore me up much MUCH worse than I thought it was going to.

COBRASoft
08-29-2009, 11:35 AM
Oh my... Losing a cat is a disaster. I lost mine after having it 15 years, so I understand your pain.

I can't have a cat anymore, my gf is allergic to them. I bought 4 parakeets instead. They are fun too, but it will never be the same as with a cat. I'm planing to buy a big parrot though, they are fun as hell as well.

shrox
08-29-2009, 11:48 AM
I was just going to adopt a kitten today. Maybe I'll name it Dyson.

Jim_C
08-29-2009, 11:56 AM
I was just going to adopt a kitten today. Maybe I'll name it Dyson.

We just bought an actual Dyson, maybe we should call it Cresshead...

:D

Intuition
08-29-2009, 12:55 PM
I had one cat in my life, named "Silver". He was the uber cool companion cat that I had since I was like 3 years old in 1980. He was alive all the way up until like 1997. By that time I had moved to Los Angeles in 1995 so I only saw him when I went home to Wyoming for xmas or summer time.

He used to sit on the steps and watch me leave when ever I left for school in the morning as a kid all the way up even when I was leaving in a car. He would come to sleep at the bottom of my bed every night. Just a cool cat, sometimes would hang out, other times would keep to himself. Just really chill. Never had the crazy cat/random psycho cat behavior I had come to expect from most cats I had seen at my friends houses or what not. He knew not to get up on the table/couches unless it was just me and him. Stuff like that.

The last time I saw him I was leaving in my car to go back to LA and my wife (then GF) were pulling out, there he was just sitting on the steps watching us go.

She (my girlfriend/now wife) asked "Should we take him back to LA with us" and I said no because he would be lost in the big city and he'd be happier in Wyoming with the large open areas and wildlife. He died of old age later that year so I never saw him again and have not attempted to get another cat since.

Sorry bout you losing a buddy man. Its rare to find a cat that just hangs cause it wants to. Wont bolt down the street just cause the door is open. They are really neat.

cresshead
08-29-2009, 02:18 PM
thanks guys...

i'll look at getting a cat in september as i don't think i can go without one for long as they'e just so cool to have around the house...

i've never chosen a cat before...they always just 'arrived' somehow...
so this will be new...

jaz was rescued from a house renovation i was working on...she then had wilson and ripley as kittens once she settled into my home.

leelou turned up on my front garden boxing day one year...someone threw him out as he was abit ragged looking...as usual wilson gave him an invite to stay..and leelou was just about 'welded' in my front garden next to the door...he looked like a furry bookend!

so...there we are.. no idea what my next furry friend will look like ...i'll see what pops up when i visit the local pet shop's notice board.

jaf
08-29-2009, 06:45 PM
Oh my... Losing a cat is a disaster. I lost mine after having it 15 years, so I understand your pain.

I can't have a cat anymore, my gf is allergic to them. I bought 4 parakeets instead. They are fun too, but it will never be the same as with a cat. I'm planing to buy a big parrot though, they are fun as hell as well.

Just keep in mind that a "big parrot" can live much longer than a cat or dog. Ours is only 29 years young. :)

JamesCurtis
08-29-2009, 09:57 PM
Reminds me greatly of my cat Tiger, who, when he was a kitten, bore quite a resemblance to Dyson. Sorry for your loss.

jaxtone
08-30-2009, 01:19 AM
Yes youre right with one exception... the parrot will live for long and many times longer than a cat if not:

1. The cat uses all his nine lifes.

2. The cat donīt open the bird cage!

Just keep in mind that a "big parrot" can live much longer than a cat or dog. Ours is only 29 years young. :)

jaxtone
08-30-2009, 01:23 AM
Cress!

You can celebrate Dyson if you make a 3D model of him! Then he will live for as long as digital technology excists. And Garfield really needs a real cat as competitor to the Hollywoodish saga.

I got 3 female cats in the family and one of them is about to give birth to another bunch of lovely kittens. Might name one of them "Dyson" if we get a male as well...

cresshead
08-30-2009, 04:55 AM
here's a closeup pik of him..big pik! sorry!:D

http://www.newtek.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=76727&d=1251629592

OnlineRender
08-30-2009, 05:28 AM
sorry to hear that , its a gutter when that happens " dog owner myself " collie and Lab, dont get a parrot , i had an African Grey ,intellegent animal but drove me mental and cost me a fortune " only lived for four years and died of Cancer " vet bills where massive luckily i was insured .
cats are easy and self dependant .and there in season atm ,plenty of kittens needing a good home .

PEACE

DiedonD
08-31-2009, 03:57 AM
I shoulda posted here sooner! I thought Dyson was a name of amovie that I didnt watched thus I preassumed I had nothing to say...

Sorry about your house cat Cress!