PDA

View Full Version : FFX Banding

jasonwestmas
08-28-2009, 10:59 PM
So I was messing around for 6 hours or so trying to dive into FFX a little deeper with this old model I have. Doing my best to avoid the synthetic stuffed doll look that you get by default. I made three weight maps using three different sets of Gradients in the density and scale T channels. I'm starting to like the results but anyone have any tips on getting rid of this banding problem on his belly? I know that early on people were really stumped on this issue. I can get rid of it but only if I crank up the swirl, splay and bump which is of course not very cat-like.

jwiede
08-29-2009, 05:31 AM
Can you give us a little better idea of the settings you're using?

It almost looks like the hair distribution is pulling from underlying surface normals at a coarse resolution, and thus you're getting tiny steppings. How is clumping set right now? Does reducing it smooth out the banding as well?

SplineGod
08-29-2009, 06:41 AM
Its been a chronic problem with ffx.

jasonwestmas
08-29-2009, 08:04 AM
Clumping really doesn't work with this model, not sure why other than the fact that it's a low poly model. FFX seems to clump per polygon. So the banding is still there but is less noticeable with these settings without clumping in the attached pict. I know from previous posts that turning self shadowing off fixes the banding but of course I don't want to do that because it looks more flat with shadows off. The second render is with clumping on.

I guess I was just hoping that by now there was a work around for these issues.

jasonwestmas
08-29-2009, 08:31 AM
I like the look of "Volume only" the best but there are artifacts everywhere, lol. Now this is with interpolated shadowing, Raytracing is much worse and point sample looks the same. If I was a newcomer I would think that FFX was a piece of garbage, not a good presentation NT. I'll report my findings to the high council just in case NT didn't know already.:grumpy:

SplineGod
08-29-2009, 11:09 AM
Can we see the character mesh?

jasonwestmas
08-29-2009, 12:43 PM
Sure, thanks for taking a look. I guess I could smooth subdivide the hell out if and see if that helps.

jasonwestmas
08-29-2009, 12:58 PM
I subdivided the model twice which did lighten the banding a little or should I say made it smaller and thinner. . .but it is still there. If NT fixes this bug I can use FFX for fur.

SplineGod
08-29-2009, 06:52 PM
Whats frustrating to me is how long fiberfx has been around and yet these problems persist. It ws being developed for quite awhile even before NT aquired it/ Even at that time I saw some people evangelizing it when it was in a far more primitive/useless state. This is probably why NT aquired it before really knowing what they were getting into.
Ive tried using it in production and it was a nightmare to use. I was able to get some decent results but only after jumping thru some ridiculous hoops. In the end it was just easier to go back to using sasquatch and that was months ago. Its quite troubling to see that the same issues are plaguing it.

jasonwestmas
08-29-2009, 07:33 PM
Yep, though I've been able to make pretty good long hair with FFX I'm gettin back into sasquatch for fur. Far less hoops for fur in sas, just a lot of settings to remember and tweak.