PDA

View Full Version : Fair price for animation work?

halley
08-28-2009, 02:23 PM
I am putting together a business plan to do animations to be used as evidence in lawsuits. I think the term is forensic animation. So itís not going to be high end work. What I need to know is - what is the going rate for that kind of work.

Also any ideas on Photoshop and illustrator work.

Thanks for any help

SplineGod
08-28-2009, 04:26 PM
I would call around and get an idea of the going rate in that area. :)

JonW
08-28-2009, 08:42 PM
It may not be “high end” but you will need “very high end” documentation of your process & water tight documentation & procedures you used.

I do architectural models which end up in our Land & Environment Court. It would be very embarrassing & expensive if I could not justify every single step I used to achieve my final result.
Eg, physical models built to the mm or less, know where a camera is placed, just to name a few!

oobievision
08-28-2009, 09:46 PM
it actually is very high end while graphicly it may not be it has to be extremely accurate. bullet trajectories, andgles. blood splatter analysis. it gets very exact.

SplineGod
08-28-2009, 10:02 PM
Ie done forensic animations for lawyers years ago in albuquerque. :)
Youll usuall work with an expert witness but it is possible that the other side
may try and ask that you prove that your results are correct based on physics etc.
I generally found that most of the time the animations were mainly used to intimidate
the other side into settling out of court. :)

Teruchan
08-29-2009, 04:46 AM
Lawyers have money and they want to win! I say shoot for the moon! :devil:

SplineGod
08-29-2009, 05:38 AM
True there but unfortunately my experience has been that people outside this business thinkyou hit a couple of buttons to create animation. This is especially true the further away from LA you get. Most people dont expect it to cost what it does. :)

JamesCurtis
08-29-2009, 10:10 PM
And TV shows like CSI and it's ilk can take a bit of blame for that too. IMO

SplineGod
08-29-2009, 10:55 PM
SHows like that dont help but this is an issue Ive repeately run into since the Amiga days :)

halley
08-31-2009, 01:05 PM
Thanks all for the impute I will try to find a standard cost if one exist and share it. I have in the past for other projects herd number like $500 to $700 a finished rendered second. Does that sound accurate?

Ie done forensic animations for lawyers years ago in albuquerque. :)

Larry do you still have any contacts in ABQ? I saw Brad K. about eight months agoÖ He looked good lost some weight.

SplineGod
08-31-2009, 04:10 PM
I talk to Brad from time to time. :)
I woudlnt charge based on a per second finsihed rate....
never could figure out how some people would charge that way.
Base it on what you feel is a good hourly or day rate for you and
how long you think it will actually take. Factor in some extra time
for redos, fixes. changes etc. Do this after you have a good idea
of what the client wants. Do what you can to get as much info an details
to nail the job down. Let them know that any mistakes you make you eat
but any deviations, changes, etc from their side can result in them
paying more. Youll need to spend some time holding their hand and educating
them on just how long this stuff can take and that you dont have a magic
button you press to make this happe. :)

halley
09-01-2009, 01:16 PM
Larry

Thanks for the tips as usual you are very helpful. I know what you mean about the make animation hear button. I currently make my living working for a DOD contractor on Kirtland AFB and my boss who knows nothing about animation or any other type of work for that matter is always giving me a deadline that is unreasonable and when he is asked how he came up with how much time it will take he has no idea.

I am thinking that I will make story board and have the customer sing it like a contract.

Do you remember Louis and Chris from TVI?

SplineGod
09-01-2009, 01:25 PM
Trust me. Ive had bosses who did know what they were doing give me rediculous deadlines too. :)
I remember Louis and Chris...what are they up to?

halley
09-01-2009, 01:41 PM
Still working at the school. The department has gone to hell and it breaks my heart seeing two talented guys spinning there wheels. I do know Luis is doing some freelance work on the side so I guess that is something. I try to stop by from time to time to see how they are doing. I can send your best if you would like.

Tai

SplineGod
09-02-2009, 02:39 AM
Ive heard that...too bad. Yea say hi for me :)