PDA

View Full Version : Any word on Core?

Serling
08-28-2009, 11:38 AM
Struggling with the decision whether to upgrade to Hardcore right now and Core when it comes out this fall. Couple of questions if anyone can answer them...

1. Based on what you may have seen regarding Core (without violating your NDA), is it going to be "all that and a bag of chips?" (In other words, worth the cost of upgrading from 9.6 or not?)

2. Waiting for a new Core2 Quad with lower end Nvidia card, Vista 64 and 8 GBs of RAM to be delivered in the next couple of days. Will Core perform well on such a machine?

Any thoughts on these 2 questions will be greatly appreciated.

cresshead
08-28-2009, 11:50 AM
1.it could be.
2.yes

Nicolas Jordan
08-28-2009, 11:54 AM
I personally would not refer to Core as an upgrade since it is totally a new piece of software altogether. No one knows what the Core 1.0 final release will include not even Newtek. They probably have a goal of what they want in it for release. It will probably be at least a few years before Core will be a respectable replacement for 9.6 as a production tool.

adamredwoods
08-28-2009, 11:57 AM
Core already has a history stack-- how bad can it be?

Nicolas Jordan
08-28-2009, 12:03 PM
I'm not joining the Core beta thing until after Core 1.0 comes out if I like what I see.

cresshead
08-28-2009, 12:06 PM
I'm not joining the Core beta thing until after Core 1.0 comes out if I like what I see.

after core1.0 comes out it won't 'be' in beta!:D

geothefaust
08-28-2009, 03:03 PM
Struggling with the decision whether to upgrade to Hardcore right now and Core when it comes out this fall.

Correction: Winter!

aurora
08-28-2009, 03:56 PM
The main word on Core is NDA, that and ** * ****** ******* ** ** * ****** **** ***!

walfridson
08-28-2009, 04:29 PM
Is it really NDA?

*Pete*
08-28-2009, 04:58 PM
CORE has a future, but at the moment it is at a Beta stage....join if you want to beta test, wait if you want a full working application with a respectable list of features.

its that simple, no offence...

Mike_RB
08-28-2009, 06:01 PM
Is it really NDA?

No NDA, just a polite request to let Newtek control the flow of information.

hrgiger
08-28-2009, 06:04 PM
Is it really NDA?

No official NDA. Just a requested courtesy from Newtek that we not discuss CORE happenings publicly.

In regards to your questions Serling

1. It's too early to say what features the first version of CORE will be like. Keep in mind that CORE will be supplemented by 9.6 until it can stand on it's own feature wise. So I might suggest you wait until more information is released before you decide to upgrade.

2. Yes, I would think CORE would perform well on your machine. There will be hardware accelerated subdivision surfaces and there may be other areas of the program that also take advantage of hardware acceleration so a good video card might be recommended to get the most out of CORE.

aurora
08-28-2009, 06:46 PM
True, not an official NDA, but one with a warning and well if they ask and I'll comply just the same as an NDA.

thomascheng
08-28-2009, 07:15 PM
From what I have seen, Core has the foundation in place to become the best product, but keep your expectation reasonable with v1.0 release.

hrgiger
08-28-2009, 07:26 PM
From what I have seen, Core has the foundation in place to become the best product, but keep your expectation reasonable with v1.0 release.

I could write a whole page on this subject. But this pretty much sums it up perfectly.

Serling
08-30-2009, 01:34 AM
So I might suggest you wait until more information is released before you decide to upgrade.

Sounds like a good idea. In the meantime, I'll be working on the new computer. :)

Matt
08-30-2009, 08:30 AM

Good answer, I'd go with that.

OnlineRender
08-30-2009, 08:39 AM
anychance we can see a nice render / screenshot. i know its hush hush and development clauses blahahah but would nice for us mortals to see some results.

robertoortiz
08-30-2009, 08:57 AM

What he said...

:)
-R

OnlineRender
08-30-2009, 10:01 AM

cresshead
08-30-2009, 10:24 AM
anychance we can see a nice render / screenshot. i know its hush hush and development clauses blahahah but would nice for us mortals to see some results.

sure, look at the newtek vids posted recently

hrgiger
08-30-2009, 10:37 AM
It would really be kind of pointless to show a screenshot anyway. A lot is going to change between now and the release of CORE anyway.

OnlineRender
08-30-2009, 11:13 AM
fek it I'm buying im Core the urge to be a part of it is to much ....

OnlineRender
08-30-2009, 11:29 AM
its like finding Gold they aint sharin unless you have an american express gold card . I wonder how many AD staff have purchased .

probiner
08-30-2009, 02:57 PM
fek it I'm buying im Core the urge to be a part of it is to much ....

lol looks like core is wearing a knockout lingerie :D

(Cover your eyes... OnlineRender taking his clothes off)

dmack
08-31-2009, 04:14 AM
Thomascheng sums it up 100%.

GandB
08-31-2009, 06:23 AM
It would really be kind of pointless to show a screenshot anyway. A lot is going to change between now and the release of CORE anyway.
Regardless; it is/would be nice to see some progress, without having to pay money for the privilege. The screens I saw from the latest webinar/video were pretty sweet.

adamredwoods
08-31-2009, 02:38 PM
I heard a rumor that LW Core was going to make the renderer external-- in other words you can plug it into Maya.

True/False?

hrgiger
08-31-2009, 02:47 PM
I heard a rumor that LW Core was going to make the renderer external-- in other words you can plug it into Maya.

True/False?

It's completely true that I don't know anything about that.

pluMmet
08-31-2009, 02:56 PM
I did a google image search for Lightwave Core and this came up:

I hope this is not getting me in trouble (Moderator please remove if it's wrong and send me a pm and I won't do it again...but hey it was on the net I just linked it.)

Let the speculation begin!

http://www.pixsim.co.uk/core/gfx/LightWave_CORE_vX2_Theme_Q3R1_Light.png

http://www.pixsim.co.uk/core/gfx/LightWave_CORE_vX2_Theme_Q3R1.png

cresshead
08-31-2009, 03:08 PM
and this one!

http://www.newtek.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=76775&d=1251752211

pluMmet
08-31-2009, 03:10 PM
and this one!

Now you're messing with my childhood fantasies. :hey:

cresshead
08-31-2009, 03:16 PM
from this site>>
http://sites.google.com/site/modolwclub/new
also here
http://www.maxforums.net/showthread.php?p=1470154

akademus
08-31-2009, 03:27 PM
...also here
http://www.maxforums.net/showthread.php?p=1470154

طيب
هذا الاحساس ناتج عن ماذا ؟
يعني سمعت خبر من قريب من بعيد ؟
وهل اصدرو نسخة جديدة من كور (تجريبية)اعتقد اسمها r1

انت اكيد استخدمت النسخة التجريبة
كيفها هل اضافوا عليها اضافات قوية تستحق انتضار النسخة ؟
ام مجرد استايل

ارجو ان لا اكون قد ثقلت عليك بالاسألة
فأنت الوحيد هنا الذي تصله بعض الاخبار

I totally agree with this guy!

cresshead
08-31-2009, 03:32 PM
translated>>

http://translate.google.com/translate?prev=hp&hl=en&js=y&u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.maxforums.net%2Fshowthread.php% 3Fp%3D1470154&sl=ar&tl=en&history_state0=

akademus
08-31-2009, 03:36 PM
translated>>

http://translate.google.com/translate?prev=hp&hl=en&js=y&u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.maxforums.net%2Fshowthread.php% 3Fp%3D1470154&sl=ar&tl=en&history_state0=

No offense tp anyone, but I think it God's will to see Core released this year :D

OnlineRender
08-31-2009, 05:04 PM
you could use google search strings to dig deeper but i want it to be a suprise

OnlineRender
08-31-2009, 05:14 PM
طيب
هذا الاحساس ناتج عن ماذا ؟
يعني سمعت خبر من قريب من بعيد ؟
وهل اصدرو نسخة جديدة من كور (تجريبية)اعتقد اسمها r1

انت اكيد استخدمت النسخة التجريبة
كيفها هل اضافوا عليها اضافات قوية تستحق انتضار النسخة ؟
ام مجرد استايل

ارجو ان لا اكون قد ثقلت عليك بالاسألة
فأنت الوحيد هنا الذي تصله بعض الاخبار

I totally agree with this guy!

Damn how many times can you mention GOD in one forum . . . makes this forum look like satans love child . . .

BeeVee
08-31-2009, 05:39 PM
Have a look at the PDeform video posted on the CORE page: http://www.newtek.com/forums/showthread.php?t=101583

B

prometheus
08-31-2009, 08:31 PM
those interface starts to look better now.

simple and clean but not to simple..and a good balance of hard edged
buttons and round buttons, I hate it when all buttons are rounded everywere
I donīt see any point with that somehow, just feels old and not neccessary.

the highlighting over selected button is nice and a little as it was in the lw 7 series , that is the interface I liked the most, dont know thou about the underlining at the same selected button thou, but itīs better than having a complete outline border around the selected button, itīs enough with the highlight as it is.

the icons shown in the earlier interface wasnt pretty, needs work on color schemes and icon design, hopefully we might be able to change that ourselfes, and maybe those can be ripped of and and placed on a shelfe with text under the icons, thatīs were I would want them instead of combining them with the text at the left or right side of the buttons.

ohh and the nodes are looking good, finally the rubber band connection.

Michael

probiner
08-31-2009, 08:49 PM
also agree that it looks VERY NICE. Those anti-aliased wide arrows its the only thing that doesnt make much sense to me, but that's small change :D

Snosrap
08-31-2009, 08:49 PM
those interface starts to look better now.

Just so you know, these are 3rd party interface designs and not something supplied by NT.

robertoortiz
08-31-2009, 09:33 PM
Gotta love how we can find the dark spot right in the middle of that pesky silver lining.
-R

A Mejias
08-31-2009, 11:18 PM
No offense tp anyone, but I think it God's will to see Core released this year :D

Maybe even "September." LOL :lol:

Kuzey
09-01-2009, 03:29 AM
Isn't that Matt's designs for the Core interface. After all, there is a layer named Matt in there :hey:

Kuzey

-EsHrA-
09-01-2009, 04:47 AM
shouldnt that be 'mat'? as in material?...

no honestly... GET MATT ABOARD THE CORE TRAIN... !! :)

the current NT UI hurts my eyes...

mlon

cresshead
09-01-2009, 08:37 AM
just to light a bonfire up someone's rear end...cinema4d just got a pay to go update..
though i REALLY do not like the idea of having to either upgrade ALL the modules or the 2 year minimum contract for updates..and yeah a 0.5 update is not free btw.

also cinema4d appear to be targeting the motion graphics industry on the point update more than anything else.

http://www.maxon.net/en/products/new/cinema-4d-r115/other-features.html

http://www.maxon.net/en/products/modules.html

note that newtek have still been incredibly lucky this year...the update for cinema just covers a few things...no huge step forward generally though it does have bucket rendering [newtek??...please do bucket rendering]
..maya..zero update so far,
max is out of sync
and softimage got a bug fix..
modo stepped further..but it's still years away from a all signing/dancing app.

how lucky is that?

newtek have maybe a year breathing space to get core out the door still.

KillMe
09-01-2009, 02:45 PM
Just so you know, these are 3rd party interface designs and not something supplied by NT.

just feel should be pointed out that while these are matts 3rd party interface they are real and functional in core - the interface is fully customisable and alot of people are using this interface while testing core

OnlineRender
09-01-2009, 02:53 PM
just feel should be pointed out that while these are matts 3rd party interface they are real and functional in core - the interface is fully customisable and alot of people are using this interface while testing core

"sweet " like a user SKIN ?

IMI
09-01-2009, 04:33 PM
Core already has a history stack-- how bad can it be?

I don't know why, but that just really really really cracked me up when I read it. :lol:

Matt
09-01-2009, 04:34 PM
Damn it! Who's given the links to my theme screenshots away, because that page is locked to those without the password (basically for CORE members).

See here:

www.pixsim.co.uk/core

shouldnt that be 'mat'? as in material?...

no honestly... GET MATT ABOARD THE CORE TRAIN... !! :)

the current NT UI hurts my eyes...

I am on the CORE train, that theme is mine, and that's me as a 3D scan!

IMI
09-01-2009, 04:41 PM
See here:

www.pixsim.co.uk/core

That's a really nice looking padlock, Matt.
Did you render that in Core? :D

Matt
09-01-2009, 05:17 PM
That's a really nice looking padlock, Matt.
Did you render that in Core? :D

Nah, I robbed it off the internet somewhere!

OnlineRender
09-02-2009, 01:42 AM
Damn it! Who's given the links to my theme screenshots away, because that page is locked to those without the password (basically for CORE members).

See here:

www.pixsim.co.uk/core

either way damn nice work .

-EsHrA-
09-02-2009, 02:22 AM

ah good to hear...finally some NT sense...

and whot??.....you have wings? :)

mlon

zardoz
09-02-2009, 02:48 AM
are those nodes real? in some of the screenshots

DarkLight
09-02-2009, 03:01 AM

You can stop google and other search engine bots from indexing some areas of your site. Just create a robots.txt file in the root folder of your site with something like the following:

User-Agent: Googlebot-Image
Disallow: /core/

User-agent: *

You can tell it to Disallow as many directories or files as you want.

IMI
09-02-2009, 07:36 AM
It does look pretty cool, like a cross between Modo and Softimage.
I wonder - is everything in CORE going to be nodal?

I guess the Powers That Be don't mind us seeing it, since they haven't taken it down.... maybe one of them put it out there. ;-)

hrgiger
09-02-2009, 07:43 AM
It does look pretty cool, like a cross between Modo and Softimage.
I wonder - is everything in CORE going to be nodal?

I guess the Powers That Be don't mind us seeing it, since they haven't taken it down.... maybe one of them put it out there. ;-)

Yes, everything in CORE will be nodal(although, this is just a structure, it doesn't force you to work this way like Houdini as I understand it). The tech faqs pretty much reveal this.

And that was my thinking as well when it came to not taking the pic down. It very much shows CORE in a positive light, probably better then some of the vids that Newtek has shown thus far.

Matt
09-02-2009, 11:02 AM
You can stop google and other search engine bots from indexing some areas of your site. Just create a robots.txt file in the root folder of your site with something like the following:

User-Agent: Googlebot-Image

User-agent: *

You can tell it to Disallow as many directories or files as you want.

Thanks, have done that now.

IMI
09-02-2009, 12:48 PM
Yes, everything in CORE will be nodal(although, this is just a structure, it doesn't force you to work this way like Houdini as I understand it). The tech faqs pretty much reveal this.

And that was my thinking as well when it came to not taking the pic down. It very much shows CORE in a positive light, probably better then some of the vids that Newtek has shown thus far.

Thanks for the info, and I do agree this is a very powerful promotion, subtle (and possibly unintentional) as it may be.

BTW, Steve, I'm still cracking up at your avatar every time I see it. ;)

hrgiger
09-02-2009, 01:47 PM
BTW, Steve, I'm still cracking up at your avatar every time I see it. ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7edeOEuXdMU

IMI
09-02-2009, 03:51 PM
Of course I know who Doctor Evil is!

m0184you
09-02-2009, 04:58 PM
Maybe I'm little off topic but I was wondering/I wish (fresh CORE theme), if it's possible to load/save light scene setups in CORE (or can you PLEASE implement some light management system ... LW 9.6.1 too).

Example: I just finish one archviz project (one BIG house/small hotel, many rooms, interior scenes) and I need to create different/specific light setups (dawn, day, dusk, night for 30 different rooms) and I'm done with couple identical lws files but different light setups/parameters in each. I could on/off some group of light in one lws file BUT it would be to much confusing.

I know, way off/ maybe not, but if you can make "light management system" (light grouping option/group naming, saving light parameters, light position/rotation/angles, also light parameters animation-saving) it would be very helpful.

Sorry about off but my last project sucking my patience/time/energy/brain, specially scenes light setups. :)
And if you can improve lens flare (similar look/parameters/animating parameters options like in Knoll Light Factory Pro), that would be like a dream my friends!!! ;) That can save to much time for motion tracking lights on scene and then adding flare in post.

Cheers!

colkai
09-07-2009, 08:43 AM
You can stop google and other search engine bots from indexing some areas of your site. Just create a robots.txt file in the root folder of your site

Ooh, me did not know this. :)