PDA

View Full Version : preview channel for more than just preview.

luis.ayuso
08-28-2009, 12:01 AM
i know there is hardware limitations, but what if the broadcast would output a multiviewer-esque signal to a tv?

a video with a large program and preview, and all the camera sources. leaving the camera sources at a thumbnail that would refresh every half second or something like that. like how the MX DVPRO from videonics would do its multiviewer preview. helping make this a part of a true one flycase setup.

and as far as my previews requests for the preview out. why not add more functions to the preview out. make it versatile, and easily adjustable to many more situations. giving all your clients more options then ever before for when they setup for a gig.

jcupp
08-28-2009, 08:36 AM
This is a feature that is rumored to be in the XD300.

SBowie
08-28-2009, 10:09 AM
This is a feature that is rumored to be in the XD300.In considerable depth. :)

luis.ayuso
08-29-2009, 11:45 PM
In considerable depth. :)

if only this rumored thin would make it to the 6 input SDI switcher with a small hardware/software update. seriously i'll pay a little extra to get some nice new features on a non HD switcher. i have no intentions of EVER going HD for what i do.

SBowie
08-30-2009, 07:26 AM
if only this rumored thin would make it to the 6 input SDI switcher with a small hardware/software update.I'd like to see that too, but to me it seems unlikely, given that, as a minimum, it would require a completely different (or supplementary) digitizer card.

theStreamDotTV
09-02-2009, 04:04 AM
having multiple inbound cameras displayed on an external monitor would hardly be a hardware limitation with all the power the tricaster has. i had an old focus mixer that could display your full console on one screen, then all four camera inputs in a four-up (security) style on another monitor.

the tricaster is several years newer (maybe even ten) and JAM PACKED with hardware. the monitor card has two DVI outs and one S-Video out. you could easily put up a preview of all six incoming cameras on the second DVI out.

right now it seems that it's an either or situation between the second DVI out and the S-Video out.

Either way, i'd like to be able to decide what i put on that screen. seems to only be able to output program and you need tricaster broadcaster to get a full screen preview otherwise. why?

i understand if there's not enough gear to give me both a full screen preview and program at the same time, but can't you just pick which you prefer to see at that moment?

sorry if there is, the manual is pretty sparse and i haven't found that particular button.

SBowie
09-02-2009, 07:13 AM
having multiple inbound cameras displayed on an external monitor would hardly be a hardware limitation with all the power the tricaster has.Two or three, yes - more than that is impossible with current gen TC's.

i understand if there's not enough gear to give me both a full screen preview and program at the same time, but can't you just pick which you prefer to see at that moment?I suspect that for some models (depending on hdwe.), it would be technically feasible to output a multiplexed signal on the 'VGA' (which is just a name, btw, since sometimes it's actually DVI) output. (This would obviously make it of limited use for IMAG purposes, mind you.)

For example, you might output Program, Preview and Effects selections on a single screen.

the monitor card has two DVI outs and one S-Video out. you could easily put up a preview of all six incoming cameras on the second DVI out.

Showing all 6 inputs for (current) models that have them simply won't fly. There are only ever a maximum of three input channels being digitized at any moment. This is a hardware fact of life.

theStreamDotTV
09-02-2009, 08:10 PM
For example, you might output Program, Preview and Effects selections on a single screen.

So is there a way to change the program monitor out to a preview monitor out via a config file or switch on the fly with a TriCaster Studio?

The S-Video out on the same card with two DVI outs can output the extended desktop when you fall out of the TriCaster into Admin mode. So it's not hardlined to any particular switcher output. So essentially, you can send anything you want out of that s-video out.

This means it's software determining the s-video output and not hardware. So how do we make the software let us switch to a preview out instead of a program out?

This would be great for color correcting or whatever on the fly while you're live!

SBowie
09-02-2009, 08:48 PM
So is there a way to change the program monitor out to a preview monitor out via a config file or switch on the fly with a TriCaster Studio?With some systems, you can output the Effects channel to the secondary output - but not Preview iirc. BTW, I don't think all systems have the extra S-video connector on the gfx card, even in a given model.

ACross
09-14-2009, 09:54 PM
This is a feature that is rumored to be in the XD300.

I can up you one on that ... XD300 does have this feature and we where showing it at IBC. You have a variety of different secondary output modes including ISO monitor bridge, WFM/SCOPE/PVW, etc...

theStreamDotTV
09-17-2009, 01:14 AM
With some systems, you can output the Effects channel to the secondary output - but not Preview iirc. BTW, I don't think all systems have the extra S-video connector on the gfx card, even in a given model.

Ok, great! If I can route the FX channel to the secondary output, then how do I do that. There's no instructions anywhere.

theStreamDotTV
09-17-2009, 01:15 AM
I can up you one on that ... XD300 does have this feature and we where showing it at IBC. You have a variety of different secondary output modes including ISO monitor bridge, WFM/SCOPE/PVW, etc...

I don't have an XD300 - I have a Tricaster Studio.

Zane Condren
09-17-2009, 06:44 AM
I don't have an XD300 - I have a Tricaster Studio.

With TriCaster STUDIO you can't choose what you get on the outputs you have 2 Program Row outputs. TriCaster BROADCAST has the option to choose either, Preview,FX or Alpha output for the secondary output.

theStreamDotTV
09-19-2009, 04:09 AM
Yes, I understand that... my question is.... WHY? It's not a piece of hardware that's selecting the program feed to be output via the S-Video port... it's the software. So how can I tell the software to output preview, instead of program.

The only thing that video card is connected to is the motherboard. There's no other bus routing to that s-video port... therefore, anything you want can be sent to it. So has this just been intentionally left out of the software? That's all I'm trying to find out. If so, we can push to have it upgraded in a future patch.

Zane Condren
09-19-2009, 08:11 AM
The outputs have much more to do with hardware then software.

theStreamDotTV
09-23-2009, 04:03 AM
The outputs in the FRONT are extremely hardware based... yes. However, the S-Video port in the back for your program monitor is just part of the computer's graphics card. If it can show my windows extended desktop when the tricaster isn't up, and show program image when the tricaster is on.... it can show ANYTHING you code it to show. The vectorcope... the title preview... anything! Seriously.

PIZAZZ
09-23-2009, 10:56 AM
The outputs in the FRONT are extremely hardware based... yes. However, the S-Video port in the back for your program monitor is just part of the computer's graphics card. If it can show my windows extended desktop when the tricaster isn't up, and show program image when the tricaster is on.... it can show ANYTHING you code it to show. The vectorcope... the title preview... anything! Seriously.

Actually the SVideo port you are referencing on the back IS hardware based. It is part of the graphics card chipset. TriCaster does not send out anything besides the GUI and if you have a second monitor connected you can send out Program out via the second head. If you are using both of those VGA/DVI outputs then most likely the SVideo output on the GFX card is disabled. Some will do 3 headed output but they are rare.

Sure NewTek could write something specific to send out other items besides Program Out. Currently though the feature set in the TriCaster line does not support that. It is a nontrivial thing to do on the current platform. The newer platform, the XD300, has this functionality. Hopefully that newer code will trickle down into the SD TriCaster line at some point.

SBowie
09-23-2009, 02:41 PM
Keep in mind too, that some systems have that connector, others don't - not restricted to specific models or generations either. So while certain things might be feasible on a specific system, it may not be equally true that all its siblings would be able to provide the same functionality.

ACross
09-23-2009, 10:52 PM
I think that the last few responses on this summarize the issue very well. It is correct that some of the graphics cards have an S-Video output (which is not a third head, but rather a scaled version of one of the desktop monitors.) Unfortunately on TriCaster we are pretty limited with exactly what we can put onto that ... and there are also some video related issues that seem very scary to me even pretending that its a decent video signal (normally it is not a YCbCr frame buffer, tears, has non legal video framing and has nasty scaling.)

On XD300 we do use the VGA output to be used for far more complex things than in previous models. On the ISO bridge mode for instance we display a monitor bridge, VU meters, a clock, etc...