PDA

View Full Version : Speed Modeling Challenge #53 - Let there be Light

Nowhere Man
08-26-2009, 04:34 PM
Speed Modeling Challenge #53 - Let there be Light
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Rules:

1: Every week there will be a subject for you to model along with a time limit. You should spend no longer than the allocated time, then post a render of your model. As in most challenges like this, your honesty on modelling times is essential.
How you interpret the brief is up to you as long as the final model conforms to what is asked for.

2: Post a render of your model (min 800x600 pixels) in this thread with a wireframe.

3: LightWave should be used for modelling. 3rd party Plug ins are allowed.

4: You can enter as many times as you like, posting each in this thread. If you run over the time, the model can still be posted but won't be subject to the judging.

5: Time spent on texturing, setting up a scene for a render and rendering is not included in the allocated period.

**Please mention whether or not you would be happy to share the model.**

Lightwave Speed Modeling Group (http://www.newtek.com/forums/group.php?groupid=7)

Subject - Let there be Light.

Anything that emits, blocks, amplifies, attenuates, reflects, refracts, disperses, absorbs or just has something do to with light ;)

Time Limit - 60 minutes.

Deadline - Wednesday, 2nd September, 22.00 UTC.

PS And big thanks to R.Feeney for actually informing me, that I'm the one to run this week's challenge (that would be quite funny waiting for #53 to pop up "as they always do" :D).

R.Feeney
08-26-2009, 05:55 PM
Good man :thumbsup:
I have some ideas :D

Nangleator
08-27-2009, 07:02 AM
Sharks with frikken' laser beams attached to their heads!

colkai
08-27-2009, 07:38 AM
Sharks with frikken' laser beams attached to their heads!

Would that be a laser be the Alan Parsons Project? :p

Crossfire
08-27-2009, 12:28 PM
Let There Be Light! Literally..........I decided to model a compact florescent bulb. I always seem to take the obvious route. Modeling took about 50 mins and about 25 mins for texture and render. Can't wait to see hat everyone has in store this time around.:thumbsup:

R.Feeney
08-27-2009, 12:30 PM
Thats great work

oobievision
08-27-2009, 10:22 PM
35 min modeling 3 hours texturing didnt bother messing with lighting since its sopposed to be solar light anyway.

colkai
08-28-2009, 03:37 AM
crossfire: excellent stuff, just fitted one of these and that looks spot on.

Crossfire
08-28-2009, 03:53 AM
crossfire: excellent stuff, just fitted one of these and that looks spot on.

Cheers!:thumbsup:

oobievision - Great job on the solar panels.:thumbsup:

colkai
08-28-2009, 05:12 AM
Did mean to mention though, I'd up your render subpatch level some, you can see the segmenting. Assuming you've left it at the default, try around 6 - 10. :)

Crossfire
08-28-2009, 05:30 AM
Did mean to mention though, I'd up your render subpatch level some, you can see the segmenting. Assuming you've left it at the default, try around 6 - 10. :)

Thanks.
Yeah it was on default. I rendered it on a second machine that I have and always forget to change the level. I was too lazy to change it and re-render!:D

colkai
08-28-2009, 07:32 AM
Ahh, alas, I hear that only too well. ;)

Me, who ends up using a default scene and surface presets more time than he really oughtta. :p

R.Feeney
08-28-2009, 08:04 AM
Nice work on the solar panels oobievision

The water came out a bit like ice rather the ocean but still happy enough with the lighthouse itself.
The full hour modeling and a good deal more on the rendering.

colkai
08-28-2009, 08:46 AM
Darn it man! Will you stop making it look so easy.
Oughtta be a law against such talent I tells ya! ;) :D :D

R.Feeney
08-28-2009, 08:51 AM
Its all the practice man :D

COBRASoft
08-28-2009, 10:36 AM
R. Feeney, you're insane! It makes me embarrassed to even try to model something within 1 hour. Ace work, again :)

R.Feeney
08-28-2009, 10:47 AM
R. Feeney, you're insane! It makes me embarrassed to even try to model something within 1 hour. Ace work, again :)

I hope thats just exaggeration, I would rather stop taking part than put anyone off joining in.
:thumbsup:

Crossfire
08-28-2009, 10:56 AM
Seriously good work!:thumbsup:

COBRASoft
08-28-2009, 10:56 AM
I'm serious, your work is so much more detailed than most others (specially mine). Perhaps you could make a video once of you modeling during 15 minutes or so. I'm very interested to see how you do things so fast. What tricks you have in your sleeves for certain problems and how you achieve things so fast. I'm sure it would raise the level of some participants like me (if I even have a level :)).

R.Feeney
08-28-2009, 11:33 AM
I dont know what to tell you, I`ll look into some kind of screen cap video. I dont know if my computer would be up to doing both though. its 9 years old and sounds a bit like a tractor when it starts :D

General thoughts-
leave any detailing till the very end.
An eight sided disk is a great template for adding circular subpatches.
Multishift rocks
reference is king, no matter how sure you are that something looks just so, mostly it dosent
many complicated shapes can be done in 2d and then extruded.
one hand on the keyboard at all times or shortcuts will speed you up more than any thing else.
I use a wacom tablet, makes more organic modeling feel more natural I find.
Look for repeating parts in your model, and only build them once, copy and paste/mirror/array.
Odd numbered details seem to look more correct to me. if you were puttin screw heads on a panel use 3 or 5 rather than 4.

Just a few things that spring to mind, I dont know if its any help.

You can have a look at most of the finished models and scenes that I am giving away in the mean time
http://www.newtek.com/forums/showthread.php?t=101465

COBRASoft
08-28-2009, 11:56 AM
Thanks for the tips R. Feeney. Matt could help you with the screen cap thing :)

Nowhere Man
08-28-2009, 11:59 AM
(...) Odd numbered details seem to look more correct to me. if you were puttin screw heads on a panel use 3 or 5 rather than 4.(...)

Hmmm, that's quite interesting, never heard of it before, but if I try to imagine the example with screw heads, it really works, thanks! :thumbsup:

Recently someone (can't remember who) suggested to post some tips along with the models, I have a tiny one of my own, that I will post soon.

Hope, that You like the subject. Anyway, I see some great entries coming along! Good work guys, keep them comin' :D

(I would love to find some time and join the fun, but this week looks like it's going to be quite "heavy" for me :devil:).

R.Feeney
08-28-2009, 12:03 PM
Thanks for the tips R. Feeney. Matt could help you with the screen cap thing :)

:D I had my camera out trying to see where I could film my screen from but it will only do 5 or 6 min at a time and dosent look too clear at 640 res
Forgive my poor memory but who is Matt again?

R.Feeney
08-28-2009, 12:06 PM
Hmmm, that's quite interesting, never heard of it before, but if I try to imagine the example with screw heads, it really works, thanks! :thumbsup:

Recently someone (can't remember who) suggested to post some tips along with the models, I have a tiny one of my own, that I will post soon.

Hope, that You like the subject. Anyway, I see some great entries coming along! Good work guys, keep them comin' :D

(I would love to find some time and join the fun, but this week looks like it's going to be quite "heavy" for me :devil:).

Great subject :thumbsup:
I dont remember where I first heard about the odd numbered thing but it helps make things look less uniform

Nangleator
08-28-2009, 12:10 PM
I do my videos with Camtasia Studio. I have screen resolution of 1600x1200, so I only capture 800x600, and align my perspective window so that's the focus. I also do timelapses, because one hour is a bit long to watch my flailing about!

R.Feeney
08-28-2009, 12:37 PM
Im afraid that my budget wont stretch to... well anything.
I found Jing from the same crowd, a five min limit on the videos but I will see how that goes.

COBRASoft
08-28-2009, 01:00 PM
Matt Gorner, never heard of him? He's an active member of the forums and has made several tutorials already.

R.Feeney
08-28-2009, 01:04 PM
Ah the dragons lair guy :D

oobievision
08-28-2009, 01:09 PM
thanks on the comments for the panels.

Crossfire sweet lightbulb I have those all over the house surprised I didnt think of it.

Feeney Wow man that was a fast lighthouse.. ummm what happ with the water lol. nah just teasing. kinda looks like a painting of a lighthouse
great work. I think I can make another one before the week is out. Oh and if anyone wants the panels just ask.

oobievision
08-28-2009, 01:11 PM
I dont know what to tell you, I`ll look into some kind of screen cap video. I dont know if my computer would be up to doing both though. its 9 years old and sounds a bit like a tractor when it starts :D

General thoughts-
leave any detailing till the very end.
An eight sided disk is a great template for adding circular subpatches.
Multishift rocks
reference is king, no matter how sure you are that something looks just so, mostly it dosent
many complicated shapes can be done in 2d and then extruded.
one hand on the keyboard at all times or shortcuts will speed you up more than any thing else.
I use a wacom tablet, makes more organic modeling feel more natural I find.
Look for repeating parts in your model, and only build them once, copy and paste/mirror/array.
Odd numbered details seem to look more correct to me. if you were puttin screw heads on a panel use 3 or 5 rather than 4.

Just a few things that spring to mind, I dont know if its any help.

You can have a look at most of the finished models and scenes that I am giving away in the mean time
http://www.newtek.com/forums/showthread.php?t=101465

Adobe has a one but if ur on XP Fraps works well but BBflashback pro recorder is pretty decent too. and relatively inexpensive.

R.Feeney
08-28-2009, 01:20 PM
Ah ha an open source one http://camstudio.org/ I`ll give this one a go later tonight when things are quiter around here

Nangleator
08-28-2009, 01:36 PM
I LOVE open source.

Crossfire
08-28-2009, 01:39 PM
Thanks for the tips Fenney! I've heard about the odd number thing several times and it actually works really well.:thumbsup:

R.Feeney
08-28-2009, 02:25 PM
I have a video done, re building the first parts of this model, around 20 min.
things got a bit stuttery at times and I was very distracted by the fact I was recording it. At least you dont have to listen to my voice :D
The vid worked out at about 650 mb I will try and shrink it down and upload it some where.

COBRASoft
08-28-2009, 02:41 PM
R. Feeney: that looks lovely and I'm very curious to your video.

In the meantime, I'm trying to make my own ceiling lamp...

R.Feeney
08-28-2009, 02:43 PM
I`ll look forward to seeing the light :hey:

COBRASoft
08-28-2009, 03:26 PM
Hey all,

While waiting for the video from R. Feeney, I've tried to make a ceiling lamp. The modeling was just 1 hour, but I did some extra little tweaks later on while texturing :)

Greetings,
Sigurd

R.Feeney
08-28-2009, 04:20 PM
Hey all,

While waiting for the video from R. Feeney, I've tried to make a ceiling lamp. The modeling was just 1 hour, but I did some extra little tweaks later on while texturing :)

Greetings,
Sigurd

Well its uploading at the moment, might take a while though.

Judging by this model (which is cool) you are not going to get much from the vid though.

COBRASoft
08-28-2009, 04:23 PM
I think I will, I use LWCad whole the time and use the presets in there. The few tips you typed before already helped me. The odd one and 8-sided disc were inspiring :)

R.Feeney
08-28-2009, 04:50 PM
nearly 70% uploaded now.
I should really install LWcad, I got it with LW8 but never got into it and once I started 9 forgot to install it.

R.Feeney
08-28-2009, 05:30 PM
This is obviously not something I am speedy at, the video was in the wrong codec for them, I will re-compress again and upload again. it will take a few hours though.

COBRASoft
08-28-2009, 06:27 PM
Take your time R. Feeney, I'll go to sleep now and watch it tomorrow. thank you for all the efforts!

About LWCad, you MUST install it. It brings so many extra functionality to LW that it would take me even longer without it. So, imagine if a person like you uses it. Your models would be more detailed and/or even faster... On second thought, don't install it, you're too good already :thumbsup:

JCG
08-28-2009, 07:21 PM
How exciting. That video is really something to look forward to!

15 minutes modeling and about 12 for texturing, lighting, etc.

Nangleator
08-28-2009, 08:03 PM
Great entries! I'm trying to come up with an appropriately oddball interpretation, and with the cooler weather here, my PC will run long enough for me to model.

R.Feeney
08-29-2009, 06:21 AM
How exciting. That video is really something to look forward to!

Thats cool:thumbsup:
Im a bit confused where light comes into it... unless its suncream :D

finally done
http://www.vimeo.com/6326976
I if ever decide to do something like this again, remind me to make sure its not recording at 200 frames a second. That can add trouble down the line.

oobievision
08-29-2009, 07:08 AM
u should set it to like 25 to 15 frames a second to save room and time uploading.

R.Feeney
08-29-2009, 07:12 AM
I know :)
I just assumed that the default settings would be 25/30fps but it was 200 and I didnt realize until my third attempt at re compressing it what the problem was.

R.Feeney
08-29-2009, 07:57 AM
http://www.vimeo.com/6327814
This one might be more useful to someone. using a disk as a template to add a circular section to a subpatch surface

Weetos
08-29-2009, 08:20 AM
Ok I'm in !

(First time I enter the Speed Modeling Challenge, so please bare with me :D )

Just had an idea and wanted to see what would come out of this ;)

Modeling : 15 minutes
Texturing/Lighting : 30 minutes

Really simple maglite, 1461 polygons

No problem about sharing the object

R.Feeney
08-29-2009, 08:26 AM
Thats some nice work there Weetos.
And welcome to the challenges

COBRASoft
08-29-2009, 08:40 AM
R. Feeney, thanks for that video! I'll have to watch it several times to understand what tools you're using when :)

Around the 9th minute, what are you using there?

How many hours a day do you actually model?

R.Feeney
08-29-2009, 08:52 AM
I think its extender plus or just e on the keyboard and the drag tool in the side view to move the extended bits around.

Generaly I do an hour or two at most.
I had an accident years ago,it left me with nerve damage and a lot of pain, so my concentration is not up to much apart from a short time after some tablets. I am kinda forced to be fast or just not do it at all. :D

COBRASoft
08-29-2009, 11:29 AM
Sorry to hear about the accident.

Extender Plus in combination with drag tool in side view... Must try that, it seems easier to control than bevel tool :)

Nowhere Man
08-29-2009, 01:39 PM
Ok I'm in !

(First time I enter the Speed Modeling Challenge, so please bare with me :D )

Just had an idea and wanted to see what would come out of this ;)

Modeling : 15 minutes
Texturing/Lighting : 30 minutes

Really simple maglite, 1461 polygons

No problem about sharing the object

Finally someone made a Mag! Lovely piece of gear, I have a 3D one with me at all times :thumbsup:

I wanted to post some tips this time, but, again, I don't have time for putting them together in an understandable manner :bangwall:

Crossfire
08-29-2009, 04:42 PM
Great Job From Everyone So Far!:thumbsup:

flakester
08-29-2009, 04:59 PM
Fantastic stuff from everyone again so far! :thumbsup:
Feeney: They're right, you're almost too good at this lark! :p

Here's mine; a flourescent / neon light, that says 'light'. Kinda like light squared I suppose!

Anyhoo, the full hour for the model (there are still a couple of things left that I'd like to gently refine!), and about 2 hours all told for the layout, most of that being on material tweaks.

Happy to share the model as always.

Great work all.

--
flakester

COBRASoft
08-29-2009, 07:03 PM
Hey,

I've modeled a small laser light using mostly 8-sided discs :)

I have a problem at the end though. How can I make a ball with a whole in it? I've struggled a lot with it and the result is not as it should be.

Greetings,
Sigurd

R.Feeney
08-29-2009, 07:08 PM
Try creating the ball on its side with the poles where you want the holes. select the triangles around both poles, Merge polys then bridge between them.

JCG
08-29-2009, 08:02 PM
Thats cool:thumbsup:
Im a bit confused where light comes into it... unless its suncream :DIt's TCBY! It's not ice-cream; it's frozen yogurt. Less than 200 calories and completely fat free.

flakester
08-30-2009, 03:16 AM
It's TCBY! It's not ice-cream; it's frozen yogurt. Less than 200 calories and completely fat free.

Man, that really is light!

--
flakester

R.Feeney
08-30-2009, 06:35 AM
It's TCBY! It's not ice-cream; it's frozen yogurt. Less than 200 calories and completely fat free.

Well consider me "enlightened" :D I have never heard of TCBY is it "Totaly Cold B!tchen`Yogurt"? :thumbsup:

Nangleator
08-30-2009, 09:31 AM
Okay, in case you ever wondered...

This is what the back end of the luminous poly looks like, installed here in a Cornell box. Read the installation label, if you can. There's a cost associated with cranking them up.

51 minutes modeling. Not enough time on lighting, as my blotchy radiosity will attest.

R.Feeney
08-30-2009, 09:40 AM
That is brilliant, something about puppy souls?

Nowhere Man
08-30-2009, 09:47 AM
LOL, that luminous poly just made my day, great idea! :thumbsup:

PS And thanks to JCG for explaining that TCBY thing, I was wondering about it too. Theese entries are getting funnier and funnier :D

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Just my 2 cents, this challenge wouldn't be complete without our planet's most importat light source - the Sun.

Modeling time<1 minute.

I don't think I need to bother with textures :D

Derrick_SA
08-30-2009, 11:12 AM

Very cool, how did you do the yogurt twirl?

thanks,
Derrick

oobievision
08-30-2009, 06:23 PM
im assuming he used the twist tool

Nangleator
08-30-2009, 07:36 PM
He could have used the rotate tool with falloff. If he wanted to be slower.

Crossfire
08-30-2009, 08:34 PM
Well consider me "enlightened" :D I have never heard of TCBY is it "Totaly Cold B!tchen`Yogurt"? :thumbsup:

Seriously! that was funny. Actually laughed out loud!:thumbsup:

JCG
08-31-2009, 03:05 AM
I actually used both ^_^.

The twist was used to... err.. twist it, and the rotate with falloff to bend it, since the bend tool is my nemesis.

Here's the whole twirl process in flash swf. Hopefully someone will suggest more efficient approaches.

Derrick_SA
08-31-2009, 02:09 PM
Thanks JCG, that's much Appreciated!

- Derrick

Kuzey
08-31-2009, 02:42 PM
Hey JCG...nice tut :thumbsup:

I just had to have a go and this is what I came up with:

step1:

Model your ice cream.

step2:

Select all the points that form the ice cream and from the top view rotate slightly. Decrease selection of points and continue to rotate, repeat until you get to the top.

It's basically the same procedure as my mini tutorial:

http://kuzey3d.blogspot.com/2009/07/aperture-ufo-blades-tutorial.html

step3:

Select the coloured polygons and click "Extender Plus", then click "Move Plus" tool. While the tool is still active, right click and drag until you like how it looks. You can also use the "Multishift" tool but you might get unexpected results at the tip of the twirl.

Model included as well :D

Kuzey

Ernest
08-31-2009, 04:00 PM
That's very nice but... is it light?

oobievision
08-31-2009, 10:00 PM
Heres another one, 35 min modeling 4 hours texturing and lighting.
I wasnt too happy with the textures I actually got very annoyed with this glowstick. but I think its gonna get as close as I can possibly come up with.

flakester
09-01-2009, 02:58 AM
~ I wasnt too happy with the textures I actually got very annoyed with this glowstick. but I think its gonna get as close as I can possibly come up with.

Grand job I reckon; immediately identifiable as a glowstick. :thumbsup:

Takes me back a few [too many!] years!

--
flakester

Kuzey
09-01-2009, 03:37 AM
That's very nice but... is it light?

Ha ha....it's light in terms of time taken to model...about 2mins tops. :)

Kuzey

Nowhere Man
09-02-2009, 05:13 PM
Hi guys! It's time to wrap this one up (well, I'm a bit late actually).

Anyway, I want to thank You all. You've really put a great deal of time and effort into this one and I love the ideas and work submitted.

First, I'd like to mention JCG and Nangleator as I've found their entries (TCBYoghurt and luminous poly) embodying the most creative and hilarious ideas presented here.

Finally, I pick R.Feeney's lighthouse as this weeks's winning entry. What I especially like about it is that not only does it showcase superb modeling skills, but also encourages us to try something bigger in terms of real-world scale. I know there have been buildings before, but they still remain rather an meagre minority (possibly it's just that way of thinking: fast to model = small, but You can just as well go with something big and it's scale will render the absence of tiny little details almost invisible).

I would like to go deeper into some justifications and mention a few more entries, but it's just sooo late here and I'm literally dog-tired, so please, forgive me for not starting #54 today. I'll do that tomorrow and hopefully R.Feeny will be able to get SMCs back on their wednesday cycle again :help:

So, congrats to our winner and all participants! :thumbsup:

Nangleator
09-02-2009, 05:48 PM
Congrats, Feeney! That lighthouse was beautiful. I thought about one, but I'm glad I didn't try to execute it. I simply wouldn't have had the time to add in all that detail and background.

As for buildings, I'm in favor of that. Stepping out of my comfort zone is helpful. Also, real-world nurnies such as the stuff on building roofs and around the backs, that seems like fun.

I'd also like to throw a nebulous suggestion out there to a future winner: Subject, Anything Anime.

COBRASoft
09-02-2009, 06:54 PM
Congrats Richard! Very nice entry.

R.Feeney
09-02-2009, 08:13 PM
Thanks for that guys :D
Unfortunately I probably wont be around for next week.
So it would be great if someone else could run the challenge next Wednesday.
Nangleator if you wanted to run it you could go with your Anime idea.

Nangleator
09-02-2009, 08:19 PM
I'm on it! Be well, Richard!

R.Feeney
09-02-2009, 08:37 PM
Thanks man:thumbsup:

Weetos
09-03-2009, 01:22 AM
Congratulations Richard, that lighthouse is beautifull !

flakester
09-03-2009, 02:50 AM
Congrats Feeney - a very well deserved win there! :thumbsup:

--
flakester

Crossfire
09-03-2009, 03:36 AM
:agree: Great Job Richard!

oobievision
09-03-2009, 06:23 AM
awsome job!

adamredwoods
09-03-2009, 12:02 PM
Great Lighthouse RFeeney, good job everyone they all looked good.
I also really like Flakesters "light" writing.... that's a good model and not easy to do!