PDA

View Full Version : messiah:studio as a lightwave plugin

Wegg
08-26-2009, 02:03 PM
I have created an instructional video that demonstrates how to use messiah with lightwave. It covers it's use as a plugin, with the .mdd interchange format, .mot files and even the newer (yet to be released) .FBX interchange format.

There is a free 1/4 res preview of the video that demonstrates how to install the plugin and how to get to a model from lightwave, into messiah, a quick little animation and then back into lightwave to show how instant and symbiotic the relationship is.

http://setuptab.com/index.php?action=store;sa=view;id=35

Enjoy!:thumbsup:

calilifestyle
08-26-2009, 02:07 PM
So is this new or the same old video

Wegg
08-26-2009, 02:11 PM
I just made it. . .

The Dommo
08-27-2009, 09:37 AM
I'll be watching this - thanks, you da man

StOuen
08-27-2009, 09:49 AM
Totally stoked! Woop! :thumbsup:

Andyjaggy
08-27-2009, 10:00 AM
Orem Utah. Hey you. Why don't I know you. :)

Wegg
08-27-2009, 10:26 AM
Small world :-)

calilifestyle
08-27-2009, 03:55 PM
hey weg this old school method only works across 32 bit, correct.

Wegg
08-27-2009, 04:24 PM
Right. The first part I show in the preview only deals with the plugin that has been around forever. Nothing "new" there but a lot of people may not have been aware of its capabilities.

PLUS there is no reason to ever think that the 32bit version of Lightwave animates slower or less stable than the 64bit version so. . . if you have a 64bit machine you'd be a bit silly not to have both 32 and 64bit versions of Lightwave installed and use the 32 to animate and 64 to render. (Rendering is where the 64bit version shines) Just make sure when your all done animating you bake it down into the other formats demonstrated later in the training video. Like .MDD or .FBX.

calilifestyle
08-27-2009, 04:30 PM
Right. The first part I show in the preview only deals with the plugin that has been around forever. Nothing "new" there but a lot of people may not have been aware of its capabilities.

PLUS there is no reason to ever think that the 32bit version of Lightwave animates slower or less stable than the 64bit version so. . . if you have a 64bit machine you'd be a bit silly not to have both 32 and 64bit versions of Lightwave installed and use the 32 to animate and 64 to render. (Rendering is where the 64bit version shines) Just make sure when your all done animating you bake it down into the other formats demonstrated later in the training video. Like .MDD or .FBX.

omfg dude this never crossed brain. i cant believe i didn't think about rending in 64 bit version. i have both installed but i just never viewed it this way.

The Dommo
08-27-2009, 08:11 PM
Does the 64bit version of Messiah not plug into 64bit LW like this??

calilifestyle
08-28-2009, 01:23 AM
Nope that plug-in is only 32 base. from what i read.

well i would trying but i'm to lazy since i read you get some error when you do

GregMalick
08-28-2009, 09:33 AM
aloha,

Nice job on the video, Wegg.

Hopefully, pmG plans to support the new LW CORE version.

probiner
08-28-2009, 09:55 AM
Thanks for the video.
I dont get this, so its complete animation system that operates as a deformer in Layout. But it wont have interaction with things in Layout right?

So, even that messiah CA stuff is better than LW (wich i don't know, only cam aware of this thing today) what is the porpuse of making a rig separated from the scene?

Looks great, but i was just wondering the real uses for this.

Cheers

Wegg
08-28-2009, 10:06 AM
calilifestyle: Did you try the 64bit version of Messiah with the 64bit version of Lightwave? Because if you had. . . you would see that it works just fine. :hammer:

http://www.eggington.net/~wegg/4Messiah/Works.jpg

If you only have the 32bit version of Messiah then what I mentioned earlier is how you would have to work. 32bit plugins don't work in 64bit apps.

Wegg
08-28-2009, 10:23 AM
Thanks for the video.
I dont get this, so its complete animation system that operates as a deformer in Layout. But it wont have interaction with things in Layout right?

There are lots of different workflows but usually you import the lightwave scene file in messiah so you get all the set pieces in place for the character animation to be lined up with what is in lightwave. Anything you want the character to interact with will need the deformer or messiah:xform applied so that the animation you do in messiah happens simultaneously in Lightwave.

So, even that messiah CA stuff is better than LW (wich i don't know, only cam aware of this thing today) what is the porpuse of making a rig separated from the scene?

Looks great, but i was just wondering the real uses for this.

Cheers

I guess you could think of it like Modeler for Layout. Modeler's whole interface and workflow is different from Layout's because it is required to accomplish a different task. BUT. . . Modeler's hub instantly updates to Layout so its not a totally "separate" application.

Messiah's whole interface and focus is about animation. Its rigging, expressions, non-linear animation, interaction speed etc are fine tuned for heavy duty character animation productions. The fact that you can reach in and literally grab vertex points and move them around with point animation is awesome in and of itself. Its soft body dynamics are real time so you don't ever have to wait for a simulation to compute. . . its list of effects you can do to a mesh like bloat, melt, sphereize etc. . . I could go on and on. :)

Taking the rig out of a scene file also cleans up the scene file so that you can focus on other aspects of your production.

The Dommo
08-28-2009, 04:02 PM
I do love Messiah - I say that having barely used it. I first saw it in 2001 as a plugin to LW6 I think at an animation house. Was amazed by the power and speed even then.

We bought 2.5 32bit a couple of years ago, sadly there was no 64bit version then, so barely touched it, and still haven't had much chance to yet.

Would love to upgrade to version 4 soon.
I think my current dongle is dying too, so may need a replacement for that (the light on it blinks on and off randomly, and windows does lots of 'hardware found' balloon things)

The Dommo
08-28-2009, 04:04 PM
Oh and btw - glad to see new training material being made - that's been a big reason we've not done much with it yet, we needed fast training and couldn't find any anywhere.

Wegg
08-28-2009, 04:15 PM
There was always training with Joe Cosman and others but there was never really ever one spot for the community to go for "everything". Chat/Forum/Training. Till setuptab.com So now things are really cooking. :thumbsup:

The Dommo
08-28-2009, 04:48 PM
A friend fro on here pointed me to the Joe Cosman stuff several months ago now - but it looks like it only covers a few things of Messiah, not everything. However, I hear it is good.

I also know of setuptab.com, and glad Messiah users finally got an online home!

Is there now training material (like the one you have made and shown here) to cover just about every aspect / button / tab within Messiah now?

Wegg
08-28-2009, 08:17 PM
Well I'd say that would be close to impossible. The list of expressions goes on for pages and pages. Did you click on the training tab on setuptab? Its not comprehensive in any way but what is available should be more than enough to get you started. And if/when there is anything you really need clarification on the community is usually more than willing to help. Plus there are almost always real live helpful people in the chat room.

GregMalick
08-29-2009, 10:51 AM
Check out some of the messiah rigs by Jonas Jarvers for Urs.

http://www.jonasjarvers.com/projects.html

Awesome!

The Dommo
09-03-2009, 11:07 AM
I'll try to check those out next week - thanks :)

Julez4001
10-09-2010, 09:57 PM
Much needed Bump.

geothefaust
10-13-2010, 12:42 AM
Hey no kidding. Good bump.

I wish I had switched over to Messiah sooner for rigging and other things. It's a great companion or stand alone application, to boot.

I'm especially in love with the rigging tools, expressions and the noisette shader. :) Erm, OK and meta-effectors with the weight spot node.

DBMiller
02-23-2011, 08:47 AM
Well, after the Dare To Share program, I will bump this again!