PDA

View Full Version : Link Bar

Slick Systems
08-26-2009, 07:35 AM
Here are some finished images of a metal link bar from our product range.

Hope you like.

OnlineRender
08-26-2009, 08:01 AM
nice dof , clean images aswell .

nice work dude

Slick Systems
08-26-2009, 08:08 AM
Thanks Onlinerender!!

Still experimenting with DOF in LW but the results speak for themselves. I think it just adds an extra touch of realism when done right as I hopefully have done here.

revengeofmonty
08-26-2009, 08:15 AM
Take your nice, fancy metal renders and get out!

...but seriously, nice work. Like the nuts and bolts in particular.

Slick Systems
08-26-2009, 08:18 AM
Thanks revengeofmonty!!

Yes I know what you mean!! :-) I have loads of metal stuff to create and render so it can get a bit much. I do try and vary the subject though when I can. :-) LOL

probiner
08-26-2009, 09:23 AM
Gorgeous as usual =)

But one thing catched my eye. In the third image you can see a bit lack of polygons. Wich would be ok, but since you maked a close shot it shows up a little. Higlighted in attachement.

Is that for a catalogue?

Cheers

Slick Systems
08-26-2009, 09:28 AM
Hi Probiner, thanks!!

Yes I noticed that too after rendering and I may just retouch it in pshop using paths to keep the curve depending on time constraints. or tweak the model slightly to increase polys around that edge.

These images will probably be used within our company literature and on our new website (coming soon).

Have you produced anything yet from that metal texture? I know you did a head model on my other machined leg thread, but I wondered if you had used it for anything else yet?

probiner
08-26-2009, 09:38 AM
No, sorry =/

Im not a metal guy. But i pick a lot of stuff in the foruns simply because, someday you got to do stuff you didn't think you would do or you dont do normally, so i got it here on hold. But i bet a lot of metal dudes sure looked into it more in matter of usage =)

It also visible but in very small scale, that probably doesnt demand changes, in the las image the tubes's cap, also lack of polys. But you really have to look hard to see. So it depends of the visibility the images will have of ir they are going to be sized down.

Well its good to be good at something and your pictures in this subject are good, imho.

Cheers

Slick Systems
08-26-2009, 09:42 AM
Just thought I'd check.

Thanks Again. :-)

Nigel
08-26-2009, 01:19 PM
awesome renders. So simple, but i just love looking at them!

Slick Systems
08-27-2009, 01:42 AM
Thanks a lot Nigel !! :-)

That means quite a bit coming from yourself. I've seen your stuff and it's awesome.

Snosrap
08-27-2009, 06:55 PM
Yes I noticed that too after rendering and I may just retouch it in pshop using paths to keep the curve depending on time constraints. or tweak the model slightly to increase polys around that edge.

Why did you not subpatch these? Nice renders BTW.

Larry_g1s
08-28-2009, 03:44 PM
Really nice work. Great textures, lighting, & nice use of DOF.

Slick Systems
09-01-2009, 02:32 AM
Hi snosrap, Thanks! - I didn't use subpatch purely because I never thought I'd be using the objects in the way I have above so I wasn't expecting to get too close so you'd notice the flaws. (Even though now it seems logical that I would have to produce images like these.)

I like the speed and simplicity of plain old polys also these objects are also used in other scenes with more complex objects and I wanted to keep things running smoothly rather than impeding performance with sub D surfaces.

Larry_g1s : Thanks!

Snosrap
09-01-2009, 07:20 PM
I like the speed and simplicity of plain old polys also these objects are also used in other scenes with more complex objects and I wanted to keep things running smoothly rather than impeding performance with sub D surfaces.

I wouldn't think your hardware would break a sweat. :D

Slick Systems
09-02-2009, 10:24 AM
Snosrap: Yes it's a beast alright but I do give it a good thrashing all the same - it's probably my inexperience of setting up 'lighter more efficient' scenes. I should really use the windows 64bit more often but I just find it easier working on the mac side - I'm hoping that the new snow leopard will improve things a bit for us mac users as well as LWHC of course.

Usually the speed decrease hits the graphic card first with sub D's and it starts to take longer times to render the screen. I could probably do with the next gcard up from the one I have which would triple the performance probably.

The octocore is blisteringly fast compared to my old G5 machine as an example I took some work home the other day which I'd been F9 previewing at work with times of around 2 - 3 mins per render - dropped the same scene onto my maxed out macbook pro with dual core and it took about 20 - 30mins to render an F9 preview. Bang went working at home!!! :-)

I got the 16GB ram before I knew about the 32bit memory limits and just assumed like most people that if the machine can take that much ram then surely it can use it all!! So I guess OSX probably takes it's chunk and whatever else it needs but the other apps hit the ceiling at around 2-4GB - at least it lets me run many apps simultaneously without suffering slowdowns or running out of ram especially when using CS4 MS.