PDA

View Full Version : Backup formats, HD, STD, Blue-ray?

wacom
08-25-2009, 01:25 PM
OK, my paranoid file saving habits are coming back to haunt me, and I'm running out of HD space.

The question now is, what medium is the most reliable "long term" storage solution? Solid state drives, Blue-ray, Hard drives?

I've read about hard drives failing if they are not spun every so often, and blue ray is still very expensive going by the GB when compared to HD and solid state drives.

Is blue ray ink stable? I've had DVD's and CDs degrade- are these the same?

OK...off to try and figure out if and what I can delete to make room...ugh...

biliousfrog
08-25-2009, 01:37 PM
Best bang-per-buck is definitely hard drives. 1TB drives are relatively cheap, fast and reliable (mostly). There are cheap RAID solutions available which would allow safe, fast backups which can be expanded easily.

It might be a bit high-end for personal use, but I have a Cisco network RAID server with 4 hotswap bays. I've got 4x1tb drives in RAID 5 with hot spare which gives me 2tb of drive space for project backups over 3 drives and if a drive fails the spare kicks in and rebuilds the RAID. The drives are all WD greenpower drives which are more energy efficient and have a good reputation for reliability.

I use Genie Backup Manager which backs up my current projects once a day over the network and I also store all my archive stuff on there.

The problem with DVD/CD etc is that they degrade over time, SSD's are really expensive and so is DAT.

JeffrySG
08-25-2009, 01:39 PM
I think you've got to go with offline backup. I think most writable media such as DVD or CD or B-Ray will become corrupt after 5 years or so. If you are going to use writable media you need to be good about re-writing all of the data every few years, and also having multiple copies. If it's on HDs you need to have multiple copies as well. Hopefully keeping one copy in a different location.

Have you thought about using a service such as AmazonS3 (http://aws.amazon.com/s3/) using Jungle Disk (http://www.jungledisk.com/) as a front end for your permanent backup needs?

wacom
08-25-2009, 01:45 PM
I was thinking of going with syncbackPro or SE since it has built in compression and FTP services. I would put the most important "final files" then on my site and maybe another.

Jim_C
08-25-2009, 01:50 PM
Safest long term storage medium is still a tape based back up.

Slow and tedious but as long as you have the machinery that reads it, a tape is the most likely to still work after sitting for 10 years on a shelf.

JonW
08-26-2009, 02:38 AM
Hard drives, there is just too much data!

zapper1998
08-26-2009, 04:19 AM
Actually HD's are your Best Bet..
I have a Network Storage Unit..with 4 HD's ..
And After 2 yrs, I pull em and put on self, then put New HD's in..
I have only done it twice, I figure they are good Sitting in the Box On the self...
If I need something, I can hot swap them out and get what I need...
And pull em out and put them in the box again..
CD's and DVD's are good for max 10 yrs, In a Container that is kept in a cool dark place you might get a few yrs more out of them..

But Tape drives are the Best..
I do not have one, I kinda wish I would have started using one yrs ago ...

Michael

biliousfrog
08-26-2009, 05:06 AM
I was discussing backups with an IT company recently that works with some pretty big clients in London. They honestly couldn't understand why people still use tape when HD's are much cheaper, faster to access and have higher capacity.