PDA

View Full Version : The New Dark Crystal Movie :

pumeco
08-25-2009, 05:08 AM
I just thought I'd ask about this here seeing as this part of the forum has become popular with movie discussion.

Basically, I'm wondering if anyone here has some info on the new Dark Crystal movie. The original was an absolute masterpiece. It featured animatronics, Brian Froud design, and a Trevor Jones soundtrack - in other words it looked and sounded absolutely effin' gorgeous.

Now apparently there is another movie in the making right now, it is a sequel to the original. I've even seen a photo of the Gelflings as they are much older now. But that was a while ago and I've not really been able to find anything else on it since. So, as a lot of you LightWavers are into the visual effects business I was wondering if someone had heard anything regards it's production. They say it will be animatronic, but I still reckon there'll be GC in there somewhere (which will be a pity if they over do it).

Anyway, I can't wait to see this thing if it really is happening (if it's not a hoax), and I desperately hope that Brian Froud and Trevor Jones remain as designer and musician. Either way I think they've got their work cut out to make it as much a feast as the first movie was.

Kuzey
08-25-2009, 06:12 AM
I found this via google:

http://powerofthedarkcrystal.blogspot.com/

and

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0460907/

Kuzey

pumeco
08-25-2009, 08:16 AM
Cheers Kuzey!

Well, I'd seen that first link before (although it wasn't as informative as that when I did), and that IMDb link is a new one on me. Good news from the looks of it as well because if you click on that "More" link under the writers section it lists Froud and Jones as designer and musician as with the original.

That's brilliant, made my day that has :thumbsup:

To be honest I got fed up of following it early on because the rumour was that it was all a hoax and people are kidding themselves if they thought there would be a sequel. Apparently an official claimed it is just not financially viable to produce an animatronic movie like that in this CG dominated climate.

Either he was wrong, or that was a hoax in itself :D

I also notice they've re-released the soundtrack, so I'm glad I got mine under the hand-numbered limited edition run they produced about six years back!

adamredwoods
08-25-2009, 11:08 AM
I hope Michael Bay jumps in and helps this movie. Less puppets, more explosions! I mean, the whole chanting thing was boring! Megan Fox as the lead female would be so hot! And more explosions!

Actually, I have little expectations for remakes or reboots or whatever. I think Hollywood lost it's Sci-fi / Fantasy originality.

pumeco
08-26-2009, 05:47 AM
Adam,

If you mean they could have a herd of Garthim strip her from head to toe and then tie her up for public viewing, then yes, I totally agree :D

Other than that, I can think of no viable reason that Megan Fox should be allowed to break the Dark Crystal rule of having no humans visible in the movie. Unless of course you have a more pleasing role in mind for her than the one I just suggested.

archijam
08-26-2009, 02:21 PM
Here we see Megan at a casting trial (playing a Gelfling), attacking a Skeksis, (played by a teddy bear).

Pretty convincing.

http://img.ffffound.com/static-data/assets/6/62b431d3a39e68dd53de3d9ae46a334aed41cc5a_m.jpg

I am pretty much not looking forward to my wonderful memories of the Dark Crystal being dragged through the laundromat. Thanks, but no thanks.

pumeco
08-26-2009, 04:55 PM
As much as I like the pic, you still deserve a bashing!

Alright I'll admit that fluffy fizzgig thingummy wasn't very convincing, but the rest of it was damned good, and considering how long ago the original was made I think they made a fantastic job of it.

Makes you wonder what they'll achieve with the animatronics nowadays along with the advanced prosthetics they have available to them. But anyway, it wasn't the fact that they did it all with animatronics and puppets, there was just something about that film that never left my head ever since I saw it as a child.

You get these 'seasons' on TV where they show films to see before you die. I'm disgusted everytime that the Dark Crystal never get's among them. There's nothing else like that movie, it's one of a kind (for now).

I just think it's got a great atmosphere to it, a haunting darkness, I love the visuals and music, just works together really well. I'm not surprised it became a cult movie even though it flopped at the cinema.

aurora
08-26-2009, 06:50 PM
Some movies should not be remade and this is one of them. But I thought it was supposed to be a sequel to 'The Dark Crystal' not a remake.

Other movies that should never be remade, 2001, Gremlins (I mention that one because they are damn it), Poltergeist (again, DON'T! Yet they are), Star Wars, Alien, Aliens, umh, pretty much every other movie ever made. Well except maybe 'Dune' as I have yet to see a REALLY good version and no the current one getting underway won't do it for me either.

Either the movie was done right the first time and is classic as is. Or it just plain sucked and a remake just ain't going to make it better. Sorry liked the original Halloween better too! Still remember watching it when it was released as an under aged kid with a bunch of his under aged friends and a dark stormy night (no joke) and then walking through the old Sunset cemetery which we believed to be haunted afterwords and scaring the hell out of ourselves. LOVED IT!

pumeco
08-28-2009, 05:11 PM
I mostly agree with you regards your feelings over remakes, but just to point out that this isn't a remake, it's a sequel continued from the original. I'm glad it's not a remake.

aurora
08-28-2009, 06:44 PM
Ahh, thats what I thought and am happy about that too. Haven't watched it in years, the original of course, gotta go down and get a copy and watch it!

prometheus
08-30-2009, 06:32 PM
Umm..well yeah no more aliens, mostly because I donīt believe the casting will be good and not the story either, and some of the mysterious spooky feelings are already shown to the bones I would say.

However, there could be a story to follow up aliens anyway, at least in my mind, Ivé mentioned that before and itīs because the origin of the Aliens hasnīt been explored or the big creatures that was sending out the warnings from the beacon.
The true homeworld of the aliens has yet to be revealed and perhaps introducing even more horrible creatures never seen before.
But please no more predator fighting..

And casting..well sigourney weavers face are somewhat synonymous
with horror and aliens.
hard to find an actor matching that..hmm maybe jodie foster perhaps facing a different monster than hannibal the cannibal.

rocky vs aliens anyone?
rambo vs aliens?
:)

Michael