PDA

View Full Version : OT: mouse for carpal tunnel?

Johnny
08-24-2009, 10:42 PM
I have been a trackball user for almost 20 years, with some conventional mousing in there too..lately changed to a new trackball with a definite "hump" in it, and I think it might be aggravating my hand and wrist.

to date, I've been lucky never to have had carpal tunnel, so I'd like to nip this in the bud.

any suggestions for a good mouse/trackball, and/or positioning which works well with hard-core graphics/3D mousing?

thank you!

Johnny

jin choung
08-24-2009, 10:47 PM
i don't worry about it but they say those mice that have a vertical form factor (like a mouse with a stick attached to the top and you hold the stick) helps some folk.

jin

Dexter2999
08-24-2009, 11:49 PM
If it aggravates, get rid of it. Don't think twice about it. Go to a store and try some if you have to. Don't just order something that looks cool off the internet.

I have long avoided carpal tunnel because I try switch up between the track ball on my 3D machine and use a mouse on my other machines as much as possible to keep down the repetitive stress factors.

To me, a trackball is a personal thing. I found a model I love had to order it online when the old one broke because there weren't any locally. Meanwhile I can't stand the $80 trackball my boss thought would be great for the edit station, but my friend who does other work on his computer has the optical version and LOVES it. So, to each his own.

Good Luck

Just re-read your post...You look into a wrist pad that will elevate your hand so it drops down over the trackball instead of letting it ride over the hump?

cresshead
08-25-2009, 01:19 AM
i swap between a mouse and a wacom pen..also it's important to sit at your desk at the correct height so your eblow and wrist at at a good angle and height

http://hubpages.com/hub/Proper_Posture_for_Computer_Use

http://z.hubpages.com/u/97894_f520.jpg

http://hotonblog.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/09/att00203.jpg

Matt
08-25-2009, 04:53 AM
I hold my mouse in a strange way, using my finger tips rather than resting my palm on it. I don't think this is correct, as after some time, I develop a stiff wrist.

I find switching to my Wacom pad and pen relieves this, feels more natural and comfortable. Only problem is, for precise work, when hovering, it's not as accurate due to the natural movement in your arm / hands.

UnCommonGrafx
08-25-2009, 06:11 AM
Get a Wacom. Saved my arm, literally.

I sign (as in ASL) and do a whole bunch of computer stuff. If I were using a mouse my right hand would be in a sling all the time. The symptoms of Carpal Tunnel kick in after a week of using a mouse for me.
Ergonomics go a long way, too.

colkai
08-25-2009, 06:38 AM
Must get used to using the tablet, though mine is only a tiny A5 graphire, it may stop me sat there holding the mouse when there is no need too as well.

probiner
08-25-2009, 06:58 AM
I hold my mouse in a strange way, using my finger tips rather than resting my palm on it.

Don't we all? And if you play some FPS then theres really no time to rest the palm on the mouse.
I use the thumb, the ring finger and the pinky to grab the mouse and the other two to operate. Thats why i don't like the thumb buttons, you "drop" the mouse to press them

Though cheap, my mouse have some cool features http://www.x7.cn/en/product.asp?id=40
It has a button right next to the left mouse button, by definition it comes with a macros for triple click.
All buttons (except the left one) can have macros on them.

I have mine with a macros that make it left click every 60 ms until i drop the button. Good for games and for repetitive clicking in programs (for example scaling a model 100,001% until it fits) :D

Matt
08-25-2009, 07:40 AM
Don't we all? And if you play some FPS then theres really no time to rest the palm on the mouse.

I thought it was just me!

Twisted_Pixel
08-25-2009, 08:05 AM
I thought it was just me!

I'm in the same boat too Matt.
I find mice to be too small in general as well.

Johnny
08-25-2009, 08:08 AM
thanks for the replies...I think I am going wacom at least for now... I'm used to doing fine maneuvers in LW using the former trackball, but I think I could adapt to doing those moves with a stylus...got the wacom right here but never really seriously tried using it with LW..

J

cresshead
08-25-2009, 08:50 AM
re mice..use ones that have a humped back NOT like the pooper mouse from apple which is just about THE worst designed mouse i've ever used...much worse than the old atari mouse.

examples of good ones are microsoft and logitech mice so the hump fits the contour of your palm area.
if you can TRY beore you buy.

also STAY AWAY from cordless mice..they make the mouse too heavy in my opinion

bjornkn
08-25-2009, 08:53 AM
I hate using a stylus in 3D. You often need both hands on the lkeyboard and it is just too much hassle when you have a stylus in your hand.
My best "mouse" ever is the trackball I've been using for at least the last 12 years (or something). It never wears out, and I've never had any wrist problems after starting using it. It has been out of production for many years, but both new and used ones are available at eBay: Logitech Marble FX.
Not cheap (BuyNow for $90 for the cheapeat atm), but worth every penny.

Johnny
08-25-2009, 08:54 AM
OK...what is a "pooper" mouse?

just curious..

j

kojean
08-27-2009, 05:32 AM
I've been using this for a few years:

http://www.evoluent.com/vm3.html

It's been a good improvement for me. The coating on the mouse surface isn't the greatest, but I can live with it. Extended long hours of use might give you some finger aches, but it's a different area than standard mice (not the wrist) and the effect doesn't seem to be cumulative like with a a standard mouse.

Lightwolf
08-27-2009, 05:46 AM
I hate using a stylus in 3D. You often need both hands on the lkeyboard and it is just too much hassle when you have a stylus in your hand.
I even prefer my wacom when I code... I just keep the stylus locked between the fingers (between the index and the middle finger, underneath the index finger and then on top of the upper part of the thumb... if that makes sense) as you'd hold a pen when needing both hands to handle something.

Cheers,
Mike

And just for the fun of it: 76599

ken_g9
08-27-2009, 08:31 AM
I agree with switching to a tablet. When my wrists started to hurt, I was hesitant to do 3d using a pen. When I gave it a try, there was no turning back. :D

probiner
08-27-2009, 08:41 AM
I like my tablet a lot, but how can you do 3D with a table? :S tablet is good for controling the screen rectangle perfectly, but many times you have to keep pushing your mouse beyond the screen limits and the tablet requires more effort to be operated than the mouse. I draw animations with it, so i know how it tires your back muscles.

Cheers

kyuzo
08-27-2009, 09:43 AM
Same as Kenji, my wrist was starting to ache, and I didn't want to wait until the problem got serious so I got a tablet at home and work. Never looked back. It's so much more natural to work with a pen.
And I don't really find it a hassle to type or use the keyboard when holding a stylus, and I've never had tired back muscles. (maybe I'm just not working hard enough! :D )

Derek