PDA

View Full Version : felxible hosed

Otterman
08-24-2009, 04:16 AM
Hi pips

Im having a few problems with this so im hoping for some suggestions. I know there are some tutts knocking about but i followed Spline Gods excellent 'dog leash' tutorial on rigging a flexible pipe...however its not behaving exactly the way i want it to. How do i influence and control where bending occurs? My Main concern is that the end of the bone chain seems to pivot around the goal instead of bend....(see pic)

Any pointers?

Otterman
08-24-2009, 04:40 AM
Link-to original tutt

http://www.3dtrainingonline.com/examples/dog_leash.mov

SplineGod
08-24-2009, 05:19 AM
Try using IK in one channel for those bones.

Otterman
08-24-2009, 06:00 AM
Yoohoo SplineGod himself.

Larry you mean within the motions options panel? Problem is switching these off completely still doesnt give me the required results. The reason why im not too clear on.

Ive followed your tut as close as possible but because my hose model needs to bend and conform in a certain way its proving to be a bit of a handful. Perhaps you might be able to point out if my approach is correct or not. Im given the model as positioned in the middle screen shot, from this i....

1.position hose pivot to one end (left of pic)
2. create 50 bones spanning the hose
3. press y then r to rest all bones.
4. pre-bend bones to follow correct shape.
5. IK all bones except last one
6. set up goal null at other end of hose
7. set the last bone to use this as a goal.

Vola!! a flexible hose that seems to bend correctly one end but the goal end pivot's too much on the other.

I dont know, ive tried several things with little success. I will post a scene and see if you larry or anybody else might be kind enough to tell me where i can improve on.

SplineGod
08-24-2009, 06:17 AM
Say the parts of the machine can only bend along their pitch. You might select all your bones and allow them to only have IK n the pitch channel. Also turn on match goal on your end effector (last bone) or use same as option.
Heres a quick example of using IKto make a hose:
http://www.3dtrainingonline.com/examples/simple_hose.zip

Otterman
08-24-2009, 08:04 AM
Heres a stripped down version of my scene....

There is a layer in there i use as a guide to make up the 'flexible hose' From this i can see the hose is a little short but should be suffice to yield the desired results*

*in the correct hands.

Any suggestion?

Otterman
08-24-2009, 09:37 AM
Ok-ive lengthened the hose and reversed the bone sequence....its much better. However im still having the same problem the other end of the bone chain. Ive tried turning IK off these bones and match the goal on the last bone just like Larry suggested but again-they still seem to be pivoting around the goal -Any suggestions?

SplineGod
08-25-2009, 06:04 AM
You might try two separate bone chains starting off in the middle of the hose.

Otterman
08-25-2009, 08:08 AM
You might try two separate bone chains starting off in the middle of the hose.

Hey Larry-i did actually think of doing that but dismissed it. I might give it a crack now you've suggested it. Im just playing around getting better results but still not quite there yet. Anyways, thanks again for all you advice-i gos without saying your an asset to the community :thumbsup:

SplineGod
08-25-2009, 03:39 PM
Thanks! Much appreciated. :)
Ill be interested in seeing what you come up with.

zapper1998
08-26-2009, 04:27 AM
Thanks! Much appreciated. :)
Ill be interested in seeing what you come up with.

me 2... :)
Been fitting the same kinda thing..

How do I get the Sliders to Work...
I Select the item ..
Try to move it and something else gets selected..
The Sliders worked a couple of times, but I just can't get the darn things to stay selected....

aarrgghhh... must be me ... fustrating ...

[LW 9.6 Win32&64]

Michael

Otterman
08-26-2009, 05:04 AM
Hey Zapper-You dont select the object. You need to be in slider mode....toggle this on in your modify tab-tools-sliders. Select that and you should be able to drag them.

However, i find sliders to be pretty buggy, sometimes they work, sometimes they dont.

Regarding the hoses i still dont have a solution im 100% happy with. Deadlines means i might have to come back to this...still open to futher suggestions.