PDA

View Full Version : Modeler not exporting UV map along with meshes

cinciguy
08-23-2009, 06:38 PM
I'm trying to export a bathroom model for use with Unity, and though I've tried all of FBX, Collada, and obj, Modeler hasn't exported the UVs for any of them. The parts export with different materials, but no UV values!

I'm vexed!

Also, Blender doesn't seem to be reading the UVs, but then I haven't worked with Blender much.

Here's the object so you can see it in all it's lowpoly glory. All UVs are in one map because Unity is silly that way and doesn't let you choose different UV maps. The 4th layer is a simplified mesh for collision detection, so don't mind that one.

Is it just me? Is it just my install? Or did I somehow bork the object itself?

dwburman
08-23-2009, 11:30 PM
Try applying an image (just as a placeholder) to the UV map in modeler before exporting.

cinciguy
08-24-2009, 08:42 AM
Try applying an image (just as a placeholder) to the UV map in modeler before exporting.
Alas, no dice. Dang! Thanks, though.

gerry_g
08-24-2009, 09:55 AM
The zipped file contains three items_

RESTROOM_1.lwo _ How you would set the scene up for LW use only

RESTROOM_2.lwo _ How you would set the scene up for OBJ export, obj uv space is different to lw uv space

RESTROOM_1.obj_ A successful export of the scene and it's uv's

Go look in the texture editor of the LW version at how each surface has uv maps designated to them this is a must for obj export

cinciguy
08-24-2009, 11:13 AM

Go look in the texture editor of the LW version at how each surface has uv maps designated to them this is a must for obj export

That worked. Thanks!

jwiede
08-25-2009, 07:25 PM
Isn't that still a LW bug, though?

Is there a legitimate reason why LW should require all surfaces have associated UV maps before it'll export any UV maps at all? I'm having a hard time coming up with one, and can think of good reasons why you'd not want to give every surface UVs.

Or does this just get filed under "accepted LW idiosyncrasies"?

Since 9.6.1 is in process as we speak, we should get as many minor but annoying bugs reported and dealt with properly as we can (esp. in Modeler). We might wind up living with 9.6.1 for a long time, as it were.