PDA

View Full Version : Hypnotized by history!

jaxtone
08-23-2009, 01:03 PM
Wow!

Almost forgot this sound track... but damn so many nights it occupied my ears when playing it.

Ghouls and Ghosts on Amiga!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z3jrCkq69rs

And this tutorial is really awesome... Paint de Luxe on Amiga!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5fF1OYaobPA

Same soft but with a soundtrack from hell!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=begE8dXzkN4&feature=related

What a commercial for Amiga! I actually never seen this before:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uXkYFqHyV98&feature=related

akademus
08-23-2009, 02:16 PM
Hah!

Sweet, sweet memories.

I started with Commodore 64 while I was 7 (1987 that was). After endless nights and days spent in front of tv, changing cassettes (YES!) and cranking up its Basic programming I sold it and worked my *** off whole summer to by myself Amiga 500.

God, those were the days (of floppy disks and wonders :D )

Thanks for these.

OnlineRender
08-23-2009, 02:19 PM
did you ever have the add on for commodore 64 "PIANO KEYBOARD Overlay slab of sheer plastic " lol

I remember the days of endless programming to make the keys into notes " .......

then theres the BBC MACRO !

ahh FLOPPY DISK = DANGER

COBRASoft
08-23-2009, 02:20 PM
Oh my... I started with a C64, followed by a C128 on which I learned all my BASIC programming. 2 years later... I bought the new big brother, the Amiga 1200 with 40MB HD. 1 year after, I put a 1230 in it, followed by an overclocked 1260-SCSI tower and a total of 128MB RAM in 1992. I also had the Picasso IV with all expansions availble. Why oh why did I do it away :(

Serious, my I7 is fast and nice, but will never give me the feeling of my beloved Amiga! The I7 is 'just' another PC :)

SplineGod
08-23-2009, 02:20 PM
Same here! I was a beta tester for EA on deluxe paint and Digital Creations Brilliance.
I remember watching Eric Graham at our Amiga users groups demoing wha would become scult 3d. I also got to see Brad Carvey demo a very early video toaster before before it was called that and still all wirewrapped :)

COBRASoft
08-23-2009, 02:25 PM
PageStream, LightWave, Blitz and AMOS Basic, MUI (still miss this in today programming), DPaint, Cloanto, ImageFX, ADPro, DirectoryOpus, DrawStudio, ... Those were programs made by developer artist. So little memory, slow processors and they made magic!

SplineGod
08-23-2009, 02:30 PM
Brillance was a better paint app but DPaint overall was better for animation. I did like the ability to store and reuse anim brushes in Brilliance.
The closest thing Ive seen to both Dpaint and Brilliance is PDPro by Dan Ritchie, a long time LW user and artist. Its got many of the same features and alot both of hem never had.
One very nice thing is its particle paint/animation system. :)

i actually stared off using Aegis Images and Aegis animator on an amiga 1000. DPaint was still called Graphicraft
and LW was still called Videoscape 3d :)

OnlineRender
08-23-2009, 02:35 PM
still got ma atari 2600 in its original box :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TYiZmCFyw64v vintage game footage

dont forget the Spectrum .........

akademus
08-23-2009, 02:46 PM
did you ever have the add on for commodore 64 "PIANO KEYBOARD Overlay slab of sheer plastic " lol

I remember the days of endless programming to make the keys into notes " .......

then theres the BBC MACRO !

ahh FLOPPY DISK = DANGER

Damn! I actually followed 1300 lines of code to figure how to make poker game and after 16 hours of typing and finding and fixing errors, it actually worked for a couple of minutes before the power cube melted!

The day I'll never forget!

OnlineRender
08-23-2009, 02:53 PM
i Followed 500 lines of code on BBC Macro " technicaly the first ever 3D i done " age 7 , to make coloured lines bounce around the screen in triangles " pretty much basic default ,windowmedia player skin.

Then it was too big to save
ahhh

REMEMBER THIS

10 " i am code ",
20 goto line 10
run
ahahahahah

i am code
i am code
i am code
i am code
i am code
i am code
i am code

so impressed the girls at school

PMSL

Mike_RB
08-23-2009, 02:55 PM
This forced me to go watch a c64 'the last ninja' longplay video. The music/gameplay in that game ate a lot of my childhood.

Mike_RB
08-23-2009, 03:03 PM
Ack, just found this. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g-ggBsSrd1c

That game broke my fragile little teenage mind, but I managed to get through it. I think I died eleventy billion times, but at least the deaths were beautifully animated and quite diverse.

Never had an amiga, I was always jealous when I saw stuff on them though... Shadow of the Beast....

akademus
08-23-2009, 04:17 PM
Yeah, I never thought about that.

What would I be if I wasn't touched by ray of light from Commodore and Newtek after that.

Probably selling furniture, PVC carpentry or god knows what ;)

COBRASoft
08-23-2009, 04:18 PM
Amiga was/is a way of living!

ivanze
08-23-2009, 04:57 PM
Amiga was the greatest computer I had. I bought the A1000 just months later it was released. I remember that I modified some sprite editor that came with Amiga and was made in AmigaBasic to make it a paint program with a bigger canvas before having deluxe paint. And the first time I saw Sublogic FlightSim in the amiga, it was amazing how it kicked pc ***. Electronic Arts Deluxe Video was kind of the After Effects for Amiga.

DiedonD
08-24-2009, 01:12 AM
Started with a ZX SPectrum here. The first time that the idea of tapes were used in downloading all the data for it to run afterwards. Be it for games or drawings.

And either the tape recorder was an old one or the cassetes got ol, so as in the middle of the cassete data download, should the table move, it would stop saying 'R TAPE LOADING ... ' and you had to restart all over again, and depending on the game or 'app' it would take another half an hour or so.

Then came Comodore 64. A mean game and app computer. Mostly games though.

Then if Comodore had its own player, and since it was so important for the player to play correct sounds, it had its own player installer program, where you would repair the lines making them finer so as it would play better.

Amstrad seemed way more professional, but not only did it had worse design, but you had to arrange for a fining of the player sound by using your ears only! In comodore you could do that by viewing its player fine tune app while watching it on the screen.

Then Comodre 128 was beeing mentioned, and I played an awsome game in Amiga once, that a girl and a boy twin were showing it at the Computer Exhibition that there was (funny story on that one, where the girl had the hots for me, and they seemed so alike :hey: ).

While I was hunting for the Amiga, it didnt took long for the PC to be a standard. First was the 286, then 386. I had another 486, but while I was trying to get a Pentium 586, words were beeing mentioned for a 'Sixtium' cause they were always going like that. Then P2 came instead and so on and so forth.

Deluxe animation was my first animation app to have used, and did a few cool stuff with it back then too :D

Rayek
08-24-2009, 02:11 AM
I STILL have my very first Amiga 1000 stored safely away in an Amiga 1200 box approximately 1 meter away while I am typing this. My parents got that for me and my brother after constant nagging them for a week in 1986(!) - it was/is a brilliant system. The toughest day of my life was having to give up my custom turbo-charged 1200 for a Pentium 90 and Windows...

The first 3d apps I ever worked with were TrueSpace, Sculpt3D and VideoScape - the car chase animation was SO awesome when I first watched it. I must have played it at least 30 times that day. It got me interested in 3d animation.

With Amiga Forever I nowadays run an Amiga on my current system. It's really worth the money, and allows you to run the Workbench at full resolution and 24bit (I could only dream about such graphics back in the old days - actually, I thought that 640*512 at 24bit would have been walhalla). And PPaint still rocks for pixeling. The speed the virtual Amiga is running at on my oc'ed 920 is ridiculous.

Get your officially supported Amiga system here:
http://www.amigaforever.com/

jaxtone
08-24-2009, 06:20 PM
Wow, I didnīt know that so many of you guys had so much compassion for these old machines, but I guess they were among the first to challenge the future, at least in the area of music, graphics and 3D.

So nice to hear so many stories about your personal memories!

Found this old article and it kind of funny to read what the reporter thinks about the future of Amiga and computer business in general:
http://www.atarimagazines.com/compute/issue89/The_Amiga_500.php

I also wonder if anyone remember if there were any other music softwares to Amiga than Electronic Arts' Deluxe Music Construction Set. Just canīt remember more than I gave up pretty quick on the Amiga music program I used and switched to a Pentium 286 with what I guess was 4MB Ram and a sequenser from Voyetra, for about $4000 in 1990 to be able to make it sound more realistic.

However this link are kind of sweet and makes me remember sounds that I forgot about: http://amigamusic.tripod.com/game.html

COBRASoft
08-25-2009, 02:03 AM
Octamed Pro?

cresshead
08-25-2009, 02:19 AM
nerver had an amiga either...i went for a proper workstation! atari 520stfm..mainly cos at that time i was writing music and wanted a pro music recording workstation, seeing as the atari came with midi ports.

I used Hollis Reasearch Trackman 32!

http://www.hollis.co.uk/john/trackman.gif

http://www.hollis.co.uk/john/screened.gif

also used the atari hi res 9" monitor! :D

jaxtone
08-25-2009, 05:01 AM
Wow! Those were the days of unsynced midi and loads of twisting and tweaking when trying to make things sound as real life instruments.

My first external sound module was an "EMU Proteus 1000" with an expanded Classic Orchestra section. I did run this through Voyetras external midi interface and a software Iīve forgot the name about but it looked almost the same as on your vintage picture, and a little bit like my attached menu picture.

The more I produced the more convinced of that this was the wrong way of creating music I became. At that time traders of computers and external soft- and hardwares became very advanced in blaming each others when stuff didnīt work as expected, and that was usually an exception that confirmed the rules...

So since ambience and sensitive fingers from real musicians couldnīt be replaced with digits and micro chips I started up a band with the best players I could find, and when I produce digital music as pre samples for rehearsals or as production sound scores I mostly use loops or samples from real instruments and musicians.

SplineGod
08-25-2009, 05:55 AM
Bars and Pipes was awsome. Microsoft bought it out and then killed it.

jaxtone
08-25-2009, 01:40 PM
Hmmm... Bars and Pipes might have been one of the programs I tried in Amiga before I bought my PC 286...

http://www.hansfaust.de/barsnpipes/bp/MAIN.html

Bars and Pipes was awsome. Microsoft bought it out and then killed it.

BeeVee
08-25-2009, 02:03 PM
I interviewed a Drum and Bass musician called Aphrodite for Amiga Format, who had dedicated sequencers and Akai samplers - thousands of Ģ-worth of kit and I asked him why he still used the Amiga, his reply, which I shall remember always was that nothing had the same sound, the Amiga's sound was "phat as phuck" (please excuse my french).

B

art
08-25-2009, 02:20 PM
As my avatar suggests, I started with an Atari (800XL -> 65XE -> 520ST). Then I moved to Amiga, amazed by its video/audio capabilities and games, of course. I wrote a dozen or so modules, but I lost them all. That's probably a good thing :). Does anyone remember oktalyzer? It allowed for 8 audio channels.

safetyman
08-26-2009, 05:56 AM
I remember in college I maxed out a credit card to buy an Amiga 1000 with a whopping 1MB of RAM. It had a 14" "hi-res" monitor and the whole thing weighed about 2500 lbs. Remember Sculpt/Animate 4d? You would wait 30 minutes to see a 320x240 256 color render of a cube!

I also had an Atari 400 with the flat keyboard (would've liked to have had the 800). It didn't have a hard disk so I would spent hours typing in code, fire it up, and watch a ball bounce around the screen. Amazing!

Ah, good days, good days.

OnlineRender
08-26-2009, 10:26 AM
i rememeber my dad buying a dual tape cassette recorder , just to copy games !
ahhh the good old days .

10 " i am code " ;
20 goto line 10 .

i am code
i am code
i am code
i am code

http://www.mapleridgeauction.com/images/2009-07/1/DSC00043.JPG

art
08-26-2009, 10:29 AM
i still remember POKE 82,0

OnlineRender
08-26-2009, 10:32 AM
theres one game on the commodor i just cant remember the name of ,

effectivley you had a jetpack and flew around a 2d scroller . and collected objects . played it for hours on end , and now i cant rememeber the name .

also rememeber waking up my little bro at 4am to tell him i had completed turtles on the NES " which has now been spanked up for xbox "

COBRASoft
08-26-2009, 11:07 AM
10 FOR I = 0 TO 15
20 POKE 53280, I
30 NEXT

This makes your background flash like crazy on a C64 :)

beverins
08-26-2009, 11:55 AM
Still have my Amiga 2000 with 10MB/'040 and an A1200 with 32mb/'040...

Still run Lightwave (v5.2) on them for old times sake. :-D

While not technically the same, Workbench had SPACES before Apple's OS X... True, on OS X its implemented far more fluidly, BUT the Amiga STILL outdoes it with the ability to have multiple desktops in MULTIPLE RESOLUTIONS.

I am not aware of ANY current OS that can actually do that, Linux included - i.e. switch from 1280 res to 320 res (and even on the same screen). Yes, granted, the question arises "why would you want to do that nowadays". :devil:

SBowie
08-28-2009, 06:26 AM
I'd certainly be working in a different industry were it not for AREXX.