PDA

View Full Version : Modeler: error message on opening recent files

gpdesigner
08-21-2009, 06:09 PM
Having an issue with modeler opening files from the " Recent Files" Dialog menu. I have a few HD on my machine, one of them I use to store all of my project models and scenes . . . LW is on HD #1, the LWO content is on HD#2 . .
it seems LW can't open recent files from HD#2 but . . . . if I save a file on HD#3 and try to open it using Recent Files it opens just fine . . .
any ideas?
gp

Kuzey
08-22-2009, 02:50 AM
Not sure, but have you set your "content directory" to harddisk 3 by mistake....maybe within Layout?

Kuzey

gpdesigner
08-22-2009, 07:22 AM
Not sure, but have you set your "content directory" to harddisk 3 by mistake....maybe within Layout?

Kuzey

Thanks for the reply Kuzey, I don't think that would matter though, You should be able to load items or objects or projects from anywhere with either program without them being in sync to a content directory.

What I am seeing now is every time I load an object via 'load object' it is registering each load; in the Recent content directory . . .
So if I open model #A 5 times I have 5 instances of model #A in my Recent File directory.

I know what a possible solution to this issue is but I am trying to stay away from it. . . . . . dump my preferences and starting over is not what I am into at the moment.
gp

Lightwolf
08-22-2009, 07:25 AM
Thanks for the reply Kuzey, I don't think that would matter though, You should be able to load items or objects or projects from anywhere with either program without them being in sync to a content directory.
LW tries to handle paths relative to the content directory wherever possible (which is also why you can have objects with the same file name in different content directories).
So it would matter.
The content directory is quite a crucial concept for a lot of LW to function as expected.

Cheers,
Mike

gpdesigner
08-22-2009, 08:52 AM
LW tries to handle paths relative to the content directory wherever possible (which is also why you can have objects with the same file name in different content directories).
So it would matter.
The content directory is quite a crucial concept for a lot of LW to function as expected.

Cheers,
Mike

Thanks for the reply Lightwolf,
you are correct, content directories do matter as far as LW loading relative content files associated with an object or scene, and if you arenot in the correct directory when loading an object LW will ask you if you want to switch to the appropriate directory.
However this is not the issue at hand.
Modeler and Layout do not need to have the same content directory in order to work.
My last render in Layout could be in one content directory . . lets say it's my Battlestar Gallactica project . . . .
I can still open my Modeler and work on my Jupiter 2 model and be in that content directory . . . . This was Kuzey's reply . . . . I believe.

My issue is that Modeler doesn't see a complete HD on my machine.
The content directory for modeler is set to that HD but still will not load any objects from ANY content directory on that HD.

Unless I can find some small config solution to this issue I just may have to zap my preferences and start over again, and we all know what that means . . . . bummer . . . :cursin:
gp