PDA

View Full Version : Cant aling bone pitch as I need :(

PAQUITO
08-21-2009, 02:13 AM
Ok, this is what I do. I make a skelegon chain in modeler, lets say 4 bones, 2 for each part of the arm.
What I want is change the pitch axis of the last two bones, to make the arm rotate the elbows in the correct axis. ok, I select the two bones I want to rotate, then "edit skelegons", then drag those blue nodes as needed. Everything correct, all aligned as I want.
Ok, save object, send to layout, convert to bones and... no rotation has been applied, the pitch axis is still the same for all the bones, or else only one bone is rotated, always unexpected and random like results :(
What am I missing? This is driving me crazy.

EDIT: Its solved. After adjust the rotation with the bone twist tool, just click "Record pivot rotation" to make the bone take the rotation indicated by the bone twist tool.

SplineGod
08-21-2009, 03:36 AM
Lightwaves coord system is parent based. This means that if you want to adjust the pitch of the selected skelegon in modeler you actually have to adjust the blue handle on its parent.

PAQUITO
08-21-2009, 04:42 AM
But I dont want the parent to be aligned, I want a specific bone to be aligned. Anyways, the simplest solution, as I mentioned, is in Layout, select bone, bone twist, record pivot rotation.

SplineGod
08-21-2009, 06:37 AM
I understand that. With skelegons if you want to adjust the pitch of the selected skelegon you have to do it by adjusting the blue handle on its parent.
You want to use record pivot rotation as sparingly as possible because it can mess up LWs expressions, modifiers and targetting if you need to use them on that bone.

PAQUITO
08-21-2009, 01:53 PM
Thanks so much for your tips. Im now in the stage of the very basics about rigging/animating, so I just need to make my way through the proccess.
I hope I can go refining my skills in time, and your advices will be, Im sure, very useful for more advanced works. :)

SplineGod
08-21-2009, 02:10 PM
Also the bone twist tool in layout works in a similar way.
If you twist the parent you are actually adjusting the pitch of the chiild.
You can also adjust the current bone directly and use record pivot rotation.

PAQUITO
08-21-2009, 04:49 PM
Mmmm... also Ive found if I use the bone twist/record rotation in Layout, the arm mesh also twist strangely, as if I actually twist the arm.

SplineGod
08-21-2009, 06:21 PM
Deactivate the bones, use bone twist, reselect the bones and hit the r key to rest them again.