PDA

View Full Version : HD Projectors ? worth it ?

OnlineRender
08-20-2009, 09:40 AM
I want to buy a HD Projector nothing fancy just good enough for office , needs vga , pc/rgb ,hdmi ,scart , blah blah blah , ive been looking on FLEABAY and theres a mid range product,with USB and SD card input for 400 which does the job , but i dont know which would be the best to go for example LCD , DLP ect .
Also i just skimmed my walls " could i get away with just projecting it directly onto the flat wall " or do i need a motorized screen .

anybody have any experince or knowledge on this ?

Peace

OR (",)

EDIT : this is what i need it for .
INPUT XBOX / PS3 , PC and TV "Virgin Media" and showing off to mates !

Theres also another from USA "buy it now for " US $356.25 that looks t000000000 good to be true <

http://i7.ebayimg.com/03/i/001/12/08/952e_10.JPG

erikals
08-20-2009, 07:44 PM
a white wall works fine, though it will be better using a screen.
have a 1280x720p here, and it is quite good, i wish it had more contrast/light though.

$350 is likely just that, too good to be true. go by the brands, epson, sony, panasonic, barco

a good projector often have a lot of contrast and light, check and compare before you buy.

Titus
08-20-2009, 10:28 PM
Also check the estimate mean life for the lamp, not all last the same and they are expensive to replace.

kojean
08-21-2009, 12:45 AM
Projectors are great for HD movies and TV viewing, IF you have a light controlled (dark) room. Otherwise, you'll be limited to nighttime viewing, unless you can tolerate a washed out picture.

I don't have a console, but I've tried PC gaming a few times on my projector and I just couldn't get anywhere near the detail and contrast I get on my desktop monitor. Also I couldn't get comfortable with my screen position. It works great for movies, but not for games.

A flat white wall will work, but a decent screen material will improve your contrast and viewing experience, because of the way it reflects the projected image.

OnlineRender
08-21-2009, 02:24 AM
cheers much , for some reason my touchmouse on my laptop is going mental and randomly clicking on any item on the desktop for no appart reason " doing my head in " .
the brand i was looking at was NEC LCD 6000hrs lifetime on the bulb + Spare ...
the room lighting is controlled by dimmer switch / spot lights " and only one source for direct light " which tends to be on the opposite wall .
I dont want a flat screen TV on the wall mounted"have that in my house , 52 inch sony brava ",i would need to route the wall and then re-skim "cant be bothered " .
but i reckon i could get away with the HD projector . plus the room length is atleast 5 meters so i could effectivley go upto 110 inches (BEAST ) .

cheers guys think ill buy it today ,while the wife is away (",)

Jim_C
08-21-2009, 07:44 AM
could i get away with just projecting it directly onto the flat wall " or do i need a motorized screen .

If you go with the wall...

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/buy/Goo-Systems/ci/8564/N/4294546122

Titus
08-21-2009, 08:13 AM

I was going to comment about this, but couldn't find a link.

OnlineRender
08-21-2009, 11:32 AM

well in mate ,good thinking Batman ! nice linkage (",)

erikals
08-21-2009, 12:24 PM
...should the paint have a hint of reflection?
...isn't that what the white screens use?

Jim_C
08-21-2009, 12:35 PM
...should the paint have a hint of reflection?
...isn't that what the white screens use?

It would depend a few factors but mostly how well you can control the ambient lighting in the room.

With a decently strong projector and complete lighting control, you would usually want a non-reflective or diffusion screen (or matte paint). They diffuse the light evenly across the surface with the drawback of being a little less bright. So ambient lighting control if more critical.

Quiet1onTheSet
08-21-2009, 02:11 PM
Also check the estimate mean life for the lamp, not all last the same and they are expensive to replace.
I've been meaning to in investigate this cost-of-replacement lamp issue, for some time now:
1. Where on earth, can one purchase projector bulbs at reasonable cost?
2. Do those replacement bulbs really *have* to cost $300 - $400 USD?? Seems ridiculous. :devil:

Q1

erikals
08-21-2009, 02:56 PM
not many places
yep, but luckily prices are going down, so within that time, you'd concider buying a new better projector.

OnlineRender
08-21-2009, 03:08 PM
It would depend a few factors but mostly how well you can control the ambient lighting in the room.

With a decently strong projector and complete lighting control, you would usually want a non-reflective or diffusion screen (or matte paint). They diffuse the light evenly across the surface with the drawback of being a little less bright. So ambient lighting control if more critical.

"kinda like LW "
Does Global Illum have to be clicked aswell (",) :boogiedow

erikals
08-21-2009, 03:13 PM
it certainly helps,.. :p
hehe.. : )