08-19-2009, 05:24 PM
testing out a new computer

Microsoft dv not showing up in switcher

strange thing is it will show up one out of 20 times or so

any ideas?

Jim_C
08-20-2009, 11:12 AM
Check cable of course... but

The system I use VT4 on at work has an onboard firewire hook up that does the exact same thing. I trouble shot it for about a month, but finally gave up and bought a FW card.

The system and every other program sees the DV camera hooked up to the onboard, but VT flakes on and off. Add in card gives VT no problem at all.

I gather VT just has issues with certain FW chipsets because I have heard of others having the problem with various add in FW cards.

I 'think' the rule use to be in VT2 days to make sure and get a TI chipset for the FW, but not 100% sure.

billmi
08-20-2009, 02:02 PM
My memory's fuzzy on that, I thought it was to avoid the TI chipset...

ScorpioProd
08-20-2009, 11:21 PM
The rule used to be to use the TI chipset, but avoid the TI driver.

But realize, this was years ago. It's not as easy to get a TI chipset nowadays. The VIA ones sucked back then, I don't know about today. The chipset my more recent firewire card has is neither, it is an Agere firewire chipset. It works fine.

Though I would still go for a TI one if you can.

rbartlett
08-22-2009, 05:20 PM
I recommend TI. If Agere works then fine (they are post-AT&T Semiconductor divestment company). Some MacBook Pro owners had a loathing for at least one model or generation of TI chip (may have been the driver again).

Whatever you use, if you might have cable break-away situations or power interruptions that could be misconstrued as 'hot plugging' then from personal experience I'd recommend protecting your valuable FW peripherals with one of these (per chain):

http://www.markertek.com/Cables-Connectors-Adapters/Data-Connectors-Adapters/Firewire-Adapters-Repeaters/Kramer/PT-1FW.xhtml

Albeit that they may still not pick up the tab if something blows. It seems all too possible for FW to pop and whether consumer, semi pro or pro - a breakage hurts your pocket and can have a drastic impact on your productivity.

I've never gone from loving to hating an interface as fast as when I had issue with a FW link the once. I'm glad that IT formats have made it and really wish that Gigabit ethernet had made it into the mainstream for video transfer. Of course you care less until you get a knock yourself.

Oh, it is the TI with the native microsoft driver, just to confirm. If you can identify them then fine. I've been forced into using a VIA based firewire with no obvious failings in that time, fwiw. The TI driver was once a requirement for certain apps such as Matrox RT2000, but those days are long gone (while the VT hardware still continues to serve well past the days when these cards are mere ashes in the landfill of computerdom).