PDA

View Full Version : Align to Path squirrelly?

Johnny
08-19-2009, 02:31 PM
I have about 40 spear-like shapes which are going to fly across a room.

they are all starting from different points, but headed to the same end-point, and I would like to have them follow the arc that I set up for them when I keyframe their motion.

I had been doing it by hand, which is tedious and inaccurate.

then I thot to use "align to path" which sounds great, but doesn't seem to be actually working!

Is there some extra trick to doing this? all I want is these spears to follow whatever path theyre on, and to align lengthwise to that path.

thanks for any hints!

j

dandeentremont
08-19-2009, 02:52 PM
2 things I know about align to path:

1) The object needs to be facing down the +Z axis for it to rotate correctly

B) It gets screwy if it reaches a point where it doesn't move. A way to get around this would be giving it an itty bitty drift forward, which may end up taking more time than keyframing the objects' rotation manually.

Johnny
08-19-2009, 02:57 PM
2 things I know about align to path:

1) The object needs to be facing down the +Z axis for it to rotate correctly

B) It gets screwy if it reaches a point where it doesn't move. A way to get around this would be giving it an itty bitty drift forward, which may end up taking more time than keyframing the objects' rotation manually.

hey, thanks for that! I believe that I have #1 fulfilled; all of these spear shapes are moving in the Z-axis primarily...some are changing on their Y and X axes, too.

whelp..I think I'm going to continue old-schooling it with manually-set keyframes..

the other option was to load them up as particles, but I need a bit more control and "choreography" over how these little shapes fly.

thanks at least for confirming that align to path might be a tad hinky..

J

evenflcw
08-19-2009, 03:18 PM
No trick. Align to path should work. But if you have a irresponsibly written motion modifier applied that might overwrite the effect. Follower for example seems to affect rotation even when you've set rotational channels to (none).

Johnny
08-19-2009, 03:22 PM
No trick. Align to path should work. But if you have a irresponsibly written motion modifier applied that might overwrite the effect. Follower for example seems to affect rotation even when you've set rotational channels to (none).

how do I know if I have "a irresponsibly written motion modifier?"

this is not a sophisticated animation, here. I'm literally positioning a spear, hitting a key, advancing in the timeline 15 frames, moving the spear, and hitting another key, making adjustments to HPB as needed to make these things appear to follow their arc of flight.

J

evenflcw
08-19-2009, 03:29 PM
Likely you haven't, if you are keyframing all spears. If you had a motion modifier applied you'd know if it was "irresponsibly" written by the cursing and spitting emanating from your mouth and from the items not moving the way you could reasonably expect.

Johnny
08-19-2009, 03:32 PM
..If you had a motion modifier applied you'd know if it was "irresponsibly" written by the cursing and spitting emanating from your mouth and from the items not moving the way you could reasonably expect.

heh..the acid test of 3D dev gone bad!

J

dwburman
08-19-2009, 10:46 PM
hey, thanks for that! I believe that I have #1 fulfilled; all of these spear shapes are moving in the Z-axis primarily...some are changing on their Y and X axes, too.

For the heading to align to path properly, the model has to set to the z axis in modeler.

Think of the pears as a vehicle. The front of the pear (it may be a side or the bottom or top depending how you want it to move) will be facing the front or back view (I don't recall if it's the -z or the +z direction without loading modeler).

toby
08-20-2009, 12:16 AM
*Anything that moves* should be facing Z+ in modeler - just like the camera in layout.

Axis3d
08-21-2009, 09:28 PM
Try using Align to Velocity instead.