PDA

View Full Version : Particles follow MDD ?

jian12
08-19-2009, 03:34 AM
hi all!
I have a problem ?How to make particles follow the object-driven mdd?
Or give tips。(Forgive me for bad English)!

SplineGod
08-19-2009, 06:08 AM
Particles will emit from the object but wont follow once they are created. What exactlly are you trying to do since there may be other ways to get the same effect, for instance you could create an object consisting of only points that are metalinked to your mdd file.

tyrot
08-19-2009, 07:18 AM
dear larry

I dont think it is the same question but, I m trying to create an effect and i couldnt figure out yet..

I have a cigar model. I want it to create particles from top to bottom as it burns and fade away...How to achive this? ...

Or smoke is covering a dry branch from its end to beginning... I tried to use fertilizer plugin and use (second mesh = fertilizered mesh) as a particle object but It doesnt work. Any ideas?

BEST

NOTE: POLAS' FIRE - SMOKE working with LW 9.6 still?

stevecullum
08-19-2009, 07:57 AM
Personally I would use an animated map down the length of the Cigar to generate the particles and then use the same map to clip it away. If you will see the ash end, then you could use morphs and textures to create the illusion of ash forming.

Maybe Larry has a better option though...

stevecullum
08-19-2009, 08:05 AM
Also check out this...even if you don't have Fusion its something you can try to recreate in LW

http://www.anatomicaltravel.com/research/2009/04/download-polyline-unwrap/

SplineGod
08-19-2009, 09:03 AM
I think Steves on the right track; You can use the same textures to:
1. Blend two surfaces using the surfmix shader or nodes if youre up for a challenge :)
3. Activate a morph from the cigar state to the ash state.
A gradient or teture with falloff could be used to gnerate particles in between the cigar and ash.

MentalFish
08-19-2009, 05:22 PM
I have made an lscript MDD reader that assigns nulls to the animated points of the MDD. Will post it later when it has gotten an interface and some optimizations. It might help in this case and similar ones.

tyrot
08-19-2009, 08:07 PM
dear petterms

waiting impatiently !!! sounds very cool...

best

jian12
08-19-2009, 10:07 PM
Although not understand! But Thank you!

stevecullum
08-20-2009, 11:54 AM
I have made an lscript MDD reader that assigns nulls to the animated points of the MDD. Will post it later when it has gotten an interface and some optimizations. It might help in this case and similar ones.

Thanks - could come in handy. Talking of Nulls and MDD's I'm still looking for something that can emulate the old 'pull_toy' plugin - this would replay an MDD based on the direction of travel of a null. So you could assign a character walk cycle and have it keep pace with the null. It would even work along a curved path. If anyone knows of such a thing, please let me know!

dpont
08-20-2009, 12:19 PM
In Pulltoy, the motion covered distance is used
as frame/time input for reading MDD data,
something you can do with DPKit Motion Info node
and MDD Pointer node, I think.

Denis.

stevecullum
08-20-2009, 12:54 PM
In Pulltoy, the motion covered distance is used
as frame/time input for reading MDD data,
something you can do with DPKit Motion Info node
and MDD Pointer node, I think.

Denis.

I did try to hook this up once and while I got it to work partially, it wouldn't work when the null is in negative co-ordinates. Also when it was on a curve motion path, it wouldn't look right. I suspect with some proper nodal maths thrown in, the problems could have been fixed, but sadly that beyond my feeble node skills. :confused:

EDIT: Looks like something changed - because using the two nodes seem to work now! - Cheers Denis :)

dpont
08-20-2009, 01:00 PM
Did you retry recently?

Denis.

stevecullum
08-20-2009, 01:11 PM
Did you retry recently?

Denis.

See above! - :rock:

erikals
03-11-2010, 06:11 AM

this is very interesting, is this around?
if not, you should post it i think :)
sounds quite neat.

Julez4001
03-26-2011, 09:26 AM
Just bumping this up.

I wanted to grow some vines and baked out the mdd file of its animation.
Then I want some particles to fly off the animated vines .mdd file and use the particles as placement for leaves.

erikals
03-26-2011, 09:43 AM
use vine object as a particle emitter?

Julez4001
03-26-2011, 10:19 AM
The vines are growing and moving via Fertilizer.
The particles just shoot off the first frame and not along the vine surface.

H_Molla
03-28-2011, 04:18 PM

Hello, is this script around ?? i have an animated horse coming from maya & i want to attach hair guide to the Tail & mane area & i think you script will be great for this problem that i am facing..

MentalFish
03-28-2011, 04:21 PM
Sorry, I didn't finish it so its not around.

Cageman
03-28-2011, 04:24 PM
Sorry, I didn't finish it so its not around.

You should finish it off... even if it doesn't support rotation values correctly, there are alot of usage for it nontheless.

:)

MentalFish
03-29-2011, 04:36 PM
Ye I should... but... aaarg, so many things to do, too little time... :help: