PDA

View Full Version : Animating a Chain, but not a morph

symko
08-18-2009, 10:12 AM
Hey folks.

I have animated small chains before using a morph and it worked ok. The only issue I had was when the chain would round a corner it would stretch a little because of the morph. So is there another was to do this without a morph, or does anyone have a tip on prevent the stretching? I tried using the FOLLOWER motion plug and animated on link. then had the rest follow, but that seemed to be a pain and slow down layout. Thanks
-John

COBRASoft
08-18-2009, 11:14 AM
Yeah, would like to know this one too...

dandeentremont
08-18-2009, 02:19 PM
If you don't mind the extra steps, you can always animate a 2 point poly chain with bones. After that, you can save out it's motion into an MDD and then, use Hardlink with a high-poly chain.

symko
08-18-2009, 08:58 PM
Another option I explored was using Dr. Follower from Relativity. Worked nice, but I wasn't sure if there was a fast way to clone a bunch of chain links and make them follow one-another. This seems like it would be a common thing to animate from time-to-time, but I have yet to get a reasonable answer to make this happen.

COBRASoft
08-19-2009, 04:05 AM
If you don't mind the extra steps, you can always animate a 2 point poly chain with bones. After that, you can save out it's motion into an MDD and then, use Hardlink with a high-poly chain.

Won't the links stretch then where they cross each other?

dandeentremont
08-19-2009, 10:45 AM
HardLink by nature doesn't stretch geometry, but I'm not sure how the 2 point poly chain would behave when connected to a string of bones. In my imagination, they seemed to work correctly...

colkai
08-20-2009, 02:02 AM
Won't the links stretch then where they cross each other?

Don't think so, looking back at Proton's "monkey chain" example, each monkey stayed in it's correct shape.

symko
08-22-2009, 11:44 AM
Ok, so I started playing with FX Hard Link. I following William's Monkey tutorial. BUT... can I use Hard Link on a morph. When William does it he uses dynamics. I tried attaching the Hard Link to a 2point poly that was being deform by a morph. Nothing seem to happen. Once I used a dynamic effect, the Hard Link worked. Is there a trick to using it with a morph? This could solve my problem.

dandeentremont
08-22-2009, 12:11 PM
My bad, I didn't read the question thoroughly :)

dandeentremont
08-22-2009, 12:32 PM
I think what you need to do is scan the motion you create and save it as an MDD file. If you add cloth dynamics and just go to File> Scan Motion, you will scan the motion without calculating cloth dynamics and your hardlink should work as you like.

It's a bit annoying to have to scan every time you make an animation change, but at least it won't take very long.