PDA

View Full Version : Placing a very long gate!

3DGFXStudios
08-18-2009, 08:13 AM
I'm making this landscape scene with nice wavy green field of grass. Now I want to place a gate on it and be able to bend it in layout so it matches the waves of the field. But how can I get it to stick to the ground easily. I tried bones but that was to much work so I tried displacement but since the grass fields aren't displacements there's no way to match it. And if it were displacements it wouldn't work with bones because you can't set the displacement order to last.

Does anyone have a quick solution for this?

jameswillmott
08-18-2009, 08:53 AM
Can you render a depth map using an orthographic camera looking straight down on your terrain, and use that depth map to displace your gate?

pnevai
08-18-2009, 09:01 AM
Sounds like the quickest solution might be to make the necessary modifications in modeler. And if animation is the goal the morph targets may be of use.

3DGFXStudios
08-18-2009, 09:12 AM
Can you render a depth map using an orthographic camera looking straight down on your terrain, and use that depth map to displace your gate?

That's a good idea. So I bend it first using bones then freeze it (because I will still have the hierarchy deformation problem) and apply the depth map to it. Going to try that first.
Thanks James!!!

Sounds like the quickest solution might be to make the necessary modifications in modeler. And if animation is the goal the morph targets may be of use.

What do I need to do in modeler? Can you explain you solution more clearly?

kosmodave
08-18-2009, 09:32 AM
I would give Spline Guide in modeler a go. I have recently discovered this very handy deform tool where it got me out of trouble when I needed to deform a very high poly mesh in a specific way.

Dave.

jameswillmott
08-18-2009, 09:39 AM
That's a good idea. So I bend it first using bones then freeze it (because I will still have the hierarchy deformation problem) and apply the depth map to it. Going to try that first.
Thanks James!!!

You shouldn't need bones on the gate at all, just the displacement map, unless I'm missing something...

3DGFXStudios
08-18-2009, 09:49 AM
I want to make it meander over the hills. so I need to bend it but I like to do it in layout because of the composition.

shrox
08-18-2009, 10:49 AM
Point clone maybe?

3DGFXStudios
08-18-2009, 02:12 PM
I almost got it to work (I hope) but I can't get it matched right. When I move the gate over the field it deforms but it doesn't do it exactly right. It's just a little off and sometime a lot.

Wade
08-18-2009, 02:26 PM
Modified tools
•Rail clone - redefined tool, additional two handles which defines which part of a rail curve is used
•Mass Offset - added support for polygonal objects
•Pipe - new offset modes which allows to drag pipes on objects with an offset
•Vector Clone - new fast mode option
•Fence - new adjust mode option allows to draw just last segment and new align to terrain option allows to project fence into 3d terrain•Pat3d Polygon - new lock offset option
•Move Snap - start-end point controls in numeric panel

LWCAD might be worth the price?

Wade
08-18-2009, 10:57 PM
Yep just did a fence over some hills works great in LWCAD.. Fence align to terrain.

cool stuff not native but really cool.

archijam
08-19-2009, 01:52 AM
How accurate is your terrain? if you use the same displacement map on the Y value of the terrain and the gate, that should work.

In some cases you may need to add a few more verticals (where the terrain is steep) to the fence - the same way you would make it in the real world.

http://keithramsey.co.uk/USERIMAGES/Fence%20and%20field.jpg

3DGFXStudios
08-19-2009, 03:53 AM
How accurate is your terrain? if you use the same displacement map on the Y value of the terrain and the gate, that should work.

In some cases you may need to add a few more verticals (where the terrain is steep) to the fence - the same way you would make it in the real world.

http://keithramsey.co.uk/USERIMAGES/Fence%20and%20field.jpg

Yes true. but I don't have a displacement on the terrain. I already started over to do it with a displacement so I can match the gate easily to the terrain.

3DGFXStudios
08-19-2009, 03:55 AM
Yep just did a fence over some hills works great in LWCAD.. Fence align to terrain.

cool stuff not native but really cool.

I knew LWCAD has a Fance tool. But I don't own LWCAD. :(

:D

oobievision
08-20-2009, 05:33 AM
perhaps a script for that tool out there somewhere? I know other apps have alighnment tools or like wrap to surface. I had issues with simmilar problem trying to get objects to conform to a sphere like a small planet I usually have to do it in 3dsmax but I wish I didnt have to jump to another app.