PDA

View Full Version : Horrible banding effect using fall off for lights

pnevai
08-18-2009, 08:06 AM
I have area or linear light in a scene. They are using linear fall off to control the light distance. When the light is close to a wall the light effect that is thrown upon the wall is horrible. Instead of a smooth bright to dark transition. There are very noticeable circular banding rings, brightest in the center and gradually fading towards the limit of the fall off parameter assigned to the lights. The gradual fall off is noticable not gradual in the final render. This happens everywhere the light falls on objects.

Increasing the light quality does not help. Increasing the AA does not help.

I am simulating flourescent lighting so point, distant, and other lighting solutions are not going to cut it. Am I missing something or is the LW renderer not what it used to be?

Red_Oddity
08-18-2009, 08:09 AM
An image might help.

pnevai
08-18-2009, 08:14 AM
Never mind, I have two monitors running and the color depth on my render monitor was somehow set to 16 bit color depth, so the that was the cause of the horrible looking render. Funny thing is that I did not notice anything weird with the wallpaper image on the background. Or I would have save a lot of time tweaking and rendering over and over again.

A good thing to learn, if LW all of a sudden starts doing stuff that you never had happen before then it is probably not a problem with your work or LW. Look elsewhere first.