PDA

View Full Version : Procedural Procedure?

Richard Hebert
08-17-2009, 06:52 PM
Hi Guys and Gals,

Got a little problem with procedurals not showing up on the geometry. I've created a test box and assigned it a surface. I then put image textures on it with no problem. When I tried testing procedurals; however, They do not show up in modeler or layout in OGL. I'm using 9.6 on a Mac. Have there been any reports of an issue in this area?

Richard

SplineGod
08-17-2009, 07:48 PM
What opengl settings have you tried? Did you try applying the procedural by themselves to test that way?

toby
08-17-2009, 09:06 PM
You have to go to the OpenGL tab under display options and turn on GLSLshaders.

Richard Hebert
08-17-2009, 09:20 PM
Should this setting allow me to see procedurals in modeler as well? I've tested the object using procedurals only and then tested the same object using photo textures to make sure that I wasn't in smooth shade mode accidentally. I can render the procs in layout but I need to be able to see them in Modeler if possible. Thanks guys for all the help.

Richard Hebert
08-17-2009, 09:54 PM
OK, I found the GLSL shader mode in Modeler but still can't see procedurals in Texture mode. Any other thoughts? Thanks.

Richard

toby
08-18-2009, 04:15 AM
It works for me in the color channel but not nodes or much else. It works better in layout, and most 3D apps don't even have this feature so I don't tend to use it anyway. Why do you need to see it modeler?

Richard Hebert
08-18-2009, 08:47 AM
Still discovering differences of LightWave from other programs. I'm building a lighthouse scene and wanted to throw some textures onto the planks without going through the process of photo texture mapping just yet. Thought it would be simpler adding the procedurals in modeler (you know, one program open instead of both for the time being) during the surfacing phase and then do test renders in Layout. Layout still will not let me see the procedural textures in OGL to let me make adjustments to them there. They render fine but it's a lot of test rendering to change or adjust the temp textures. As mentioned before, in Layout I did activate GLSL and still not able to see procedurals. Here's some screen grabs, maybe they can indicate what I might be doing wrong.

Richard

dballesg
08-18-2009, 11:05 AM
They render fine but it's a lot of test rendering to change or adjust the temp textures. As mentioned before, in Layout I did activate GLSL and still not able to see procedurals. Here's some screen grabs, maybe they can indicate what I might be doing wrong.
Richard

Hi,

I just tried a box with a wood procedural on my 9.6 64 bits under Vista, and it works. Both in Modeler and Layout.

Yes I read that you are under MAC. What graphic card you have, and which drivers version?

Be aware as well that NOT ALL the procedurals can be shown on Modeler or Layout. Specially 3rd party ones like the IFW, WILL NOT WORK. And from the included ones in LW a set of them but not ALL. Smokey 1 to 3 for example can be shown on OpenGL.

The procedural needs to be added as a Layer on the Color channel, the little T near the color in the Surface Editor.

Nodes will not be shown on OpenGL either.

IF you are doing so much test renders, why do not use VIPER on Layout to adjust the textures more easily?

David

Richard Hebert
08-18-2009, 12:06 PM
I'm using the procedurals that ship with LightWave ( 'Wood' in particular) nothing fancy. I'm using an older Mac Mini so changing out a graphics card is a moot issue. As for drivers, not sure. It's not Universal Binary (it's a power PC) so not sure if that has anything to do with it.

dballesg
08-18-2009, 12:10 PM
I'm using the procedurals that ship with LightWave ( 'Wood' in particular) nothing fancy. I'm using an older Mac Mini so changing out a graphics card is a moot issue. As for drivers, not sure. It's not Universal Binary (it's a power PC) so not sure if that has anything to do with it.

I wasn't suggesting that you change the graphics card. Only to know the model so we can see if it supports OpenGL 2.0, that is the minimum to use the GLSL Shaders.

And I had problems before specially with ATI hardware with the drivers. And solved it many times updating them.

David

BeeVee
08-18-2009, 01:00 PM
You can't update the drivers on the Mac without updating the version of OSX. Richard, what version of OS X are you running and what graphics card is it? I have the feeling that it's going to be a not-very-good-for-3D laptop card since the Minis were all based around laptop chipsets originally.

B

toby
08-18-2009, 02:56 PM
Viper is the way to go if you have to tweak it quickly, but be aware that viper and OpenGL do not *always* look the same as the final render.

Richard Hebert
08-18-2009, 03:00 PM
I see what you mean, The card is an ATI Radeon 9200 and the OS version is Tiger 10.4. Didn't see any info. on drivers. I hope this is sufficient for you guys. I'll also check on updates online. Thanks for the help. I really do appreciate the insight.

Richard

dballesg
08-18-2009, 05:28 PM
I see what you mean, The card is an ATI Radeon 9200 and the OS version is Tiger 10.4. Didn't see any info. on drivers. I hope this is sufficient for you guys. I'll also check on updates online. Thanks for the help. I really do appreciate the insight.

Richard

It is an old card indeed. If I remember well, my old Fujitsu Laptop had a Radeon 9500. I always needed to use the Omega drivers (not the official ATI ones) to be able to use GLSL on LW.

I think your only solution here it is going with Viper. And as Toby said not always looks like the final render.

And i didn't know that about update the OS to update the graphic drivers Ben? Has been more than 6 years since I touched a MAC. That really sucks! :( Even on Ubuntu you can update the drivers more easily! :(

David

Richard Hebert
08-18-2009, 05:39 PM
Thanks for the heads up. Mac drivers can be updated in general. Mac Mini's weren't really designed to be used the way that I'm having to use it. I will get a more robust system in the future. Until then, I'll get the learning curve out of the way on the Mini. I realize to do any really serious work that the Mac Mini is just not going to give me everything I want or need. Beggars can't be choosers though. Thanks for all the assistance guys!

Richard