PDA

View Full Version : Chev In Motion

Nigel
08-17-2009, 10:03 AM
So there we were, going about our business, when a brief arrived. Large bold letters read: “Chev in Motion” The first few paragraphs produced a nervous laugh or two, but after checking the cupboards for hidden cameras, we knew we weren’t getting Punk’d.

The team at Clockwork Visual Effects were tasked with creating a mini Chevrolet universe, a self contained playground for the adventure seeker, businessman, speed freak, or just plain Joe in all of us. Eighteen cars were to be showcased over 6 interconnected environments, in a 5 minute extravaganza of tyre destroying burnouts, physics defying drifts on sand, and general spirited driving that would leave you sleeping on the couch that evening.

Using the talents at our disposal, we set about building this miniverse, crafting a desert environment that connects to a hangar housing Chevrolet’s currnet lineup, which leads out to a playground where Chev’s small cars are put through their paces on a skid pan, who hand over to the offroad team, who do what offroaders do best, who give way to some sanity in the luxury section, where we calm things down a bit … but only for a bit … because last but not least is a high performance dual around our racetrack.

Five artists, five months, 30 days of rendering and nearly 100 shots later, our miniverse was complete.

tried to embed the video, but it doesnt seem possible on this forum, sorry guys :)

http://vimeo.com/5799054

Thanks for taking the time to have a look.

shrox
08-17-2009, 10:39 AM
Looks great. I'm jealous, so it must be good. And these guys really do know how to do 3D animation.

Sarford
08-17-2009, 11:13 AM
Wow man, congrats on this incredible assignment and on this fantastic film. You guys realy did great!! Very fun to watch!!

waly
08-17-2009, 02:15 PM
Congrats.

I wonder the pipeline of the product if u don t mind to share,
and secondly how much is Lightwave involved in the animation.

nice animation overall, no great animation.

Its courageous the fact that it s made by only 5 artists, if I got that right.

monovich
08-17-2009, 11:12 PM
incredible work, guys. that seems like a mind-boggling assignment.

the cars looked delicious and the environments were very cool. the only thing I didn't love was the drivers themselves because the clothes for some reason just gave 'em away.

still... five months, five guys? crazy! keep it up!

Nigel
08-17-2009, 11:28 PM
Congrats.

I wonder the pipeline of the product if u don t mind to share,
and secondly how much is Lightwave involved in the animation.

nice animation overall, no great animation.

Its courageous the fact that it s made by only 5 artists, if I got that right.

Hey there Waly ... thanks for the comment. The pipeline was pretty simple, almost the entire job was done in Lightwave. The only external elements we had to import was the desert landscape, which was done in Zbrush, the water shot, which was done in Realwave, and a couple of trees, which were from Xfrog and Vue. There wasn't any going back and forth between multiple packages for the bulk of the production. We rendered the job via Deadline Repository, and did the final compositing in After Effects.

Wow man, congrats on this incredible assignment and on this fantastic film. You guys realy did great!! Very fun to watch!!

Thanks Sarford, glad you enjoyed watching it. We definitely didnt want viewers to be bored :)

Looks great. I'm jealous, so it must be good. And these guys really do know how to do 3D animation.

Thanks Shrox, much appreciated. I'll be sure to pass your comments along.

Thanks again guys, we appreciate the feedback.

M-X
08-17-2009, 11:31 PM
Fantastic. Brilliant job!

Nigel
08-17-2009, 11:33 PM
incredible work, guys. that seems like a mind-boggling assignment.

the cars looked delicious and the environments were very cool. the only thing I didn't love was the drivers themselves because the clothes for some reason just gave 'em away.

still... five months, five guys? crazy! keep it up!

Thanks man. It definitely was mind boggling. Imagine sitting there on day one, with a blank canvass. Where do you start? :)
The cars and environments were the "heros" on this job. The drivers were secondary, which is no excuse, but with a tight deadline, we had to put most of our focus where it was required.

Thanks for the comments, we'll definitely be keeping it up :)

archijam
08-18-2009, 01:57 AM
NT should do a spot on this. Fantastic stuff.

geo_n
08-18-2009, 02:48 AM
Excellent. The dirt sequence and helicopter sequence are my favorite. :thumbsup:
All lw? rigging, dirt, water effects?
Rendertime must be a killer with that photo gi animation.8/

Nigel
08-18-2009, 03:07 AM
Excellent. The dirt sequence and helicopter sequence are my favorite. :thumbsup:
All lw? rigging, dirt, water effects?
Rendertime must be a killer with that photo gi animation.8/

Thanks man.

The water effects were done with Realflow. Some water was done with LW particles too, like the spray on the skid pan, and the water drops running off the offroad car, when it comes out the pool. Dust and smoke were done with Dynamite.
The vehicle rigs were simple, just a hierarchy. The only automation we used was for the tyre rotations. The rest was all hand animated.

Rendertimes were average, around 20/30 minutes per frame at 1280x720. We did two main passes, vehicles, and the environment.

3DGFXStudios
08-18-2009, 03:19 AM
I think it's awesome!!! Really great shots in there.

Did you have to make the models yourself or did you get them somewhere?

Nigel
08-18-2009, 03:28 AM
I think it's awesome!!! Really great shots in there.

Did you have to make the models yourself or did you get them somewhere?

Thanks, glad you enjoyed it.

10 of the 18 cars were modeled by hand, the rest were CAD models supplied by the agency.
A mixed bag made up the environments, some buildings were done from scratch, others were pulled from a library.

3DGFXStudios
08-18-2009, 04:02 AM
How long did it take to finish one car model?

Nigel
08-18-2009, 04:11 AM
How long did it take to finish one car model?

I had already modeled the the cars for earlier jobs. On average, I spent about a week, sometimes more on a car, depending on its complexity, and the references I had at my disposal.

blam
08-18-2009, 06:05 AM
Brilliant as all in your portfolio.
Congratulation for this remarkable work.

jasonwestmas
08-18-2009, 11:04 AM
That is really outstanding work. The camera shots and visual cues reminded me of the final fantasy movies, not sure if that's good or bad but it seems to work for this.

GraphXs
08-18-2009, 10:42 PM
Great work! What king of GI settings did you use? It's nosie free! Also the lens fx was lat LW lens flares or post Fx flares? Amazing work!:thumbsup:

GraphXs
08-18-2009, 10:45 PM
Oh, and one other Q: What did you use to drift the cars, just a great rig? Did you use sticky to get the cars to stay on the ground? Or did you use expressions?

Thanks for sharing!

geo_n
08-18-2009, 11:06 PM
Thanks man.

The water effects were done with Realflow. Some water was done with LW particles too, like the spray on the skid pan, and the water drops running off the offroad car, when it comes out the pool. Dust and smoke were done with Dynamite.
The vehicle rigs were simple, just a hierarchy. The only automation we used was for the tyre rotations. The rest was all hand animated.

Rendertimes were average, around 20/30 minutes per frame at 1280x720. We did two main passes, vehicles, and the environment.

Nice. You must have a huge renderfarm. Our max limit is 10min per frame on 720p size with typical quadcore. Otherwise cheat cheat with lighting because they're no extension with a project no matter what.:bangwall:

Nigel
08-19-2009, 05:09 AM
Brilliant as all in your portfolio.
Congratulation for this remarkable work.

Awesome, thanks for the comments :)

That is really outstanding work. The camera shots and visual cues reminded me of the final fantasy movies, not sure if that's good or bad but it seems to work for this.

Cant say Final Fantasy was in any of our reference folders. That said, we'll take it as a compliment :) With almost 100 shots in there, I'm sure theres something to remind you of just about anything to be honest :) Thanks for the compliments. :thumbsup:

Great work! What king of GI settings did you use? It's nosie free! Also the lens fx was lat LW lens flares or post Fx flares? Amazing work!:thumbsup:

Thanks man. We used Fprime to render this, with 3 bounce Monte Carlo, and just let it cook on our renderfarm until refined enough. But basically 20 minutes a frame was sufficient. All lens flares were done in After Effects as post.
Thanks again :)

Oh, and one other Q: What did you use to drift the cars, just a great rig? Did you use sticky to get the cars to stay on the ground? Or did you use expressions?

Thanks for sharing!

Neither of the above :) its all hand animated. For total control, nothing else would work. The only automation we used was Relativity for the wheel rotation.

Nice. You must have a huge renderfarm. Our max limit is 10min per frame on 720p size with typical quadcore. Otherwise cheat cheat with lighting because they're no extension with a project no matter what.:bangwall:

Thanks :) We have 8 machines in our renderfarm, which worked 24/7, aswell as our BOXX workstations which we used at night to render passes.

monovich
08-19-2009, 06:06 PM
whoa. fprime? thats great. just when I thought I'd heard the last person declaring it obsolete (which I strongly disagree with, I love it) you go and prove that is still the bee's knees. :)

I've got people that come to me exclusively because my renders look extra real and I must have some black magic skills, but I just render in fprime with pretty basic settings.

jasonwestmas
08-19-2009, 06:31 PM
whoa. fprime? thats great. just when I thought I'd heard the last person declaring it obsolete (which I strongly disagree with, I love it) you go and prove that is still the bee's knees. :)

I've got people that come to me exclusively because my renders look extra real and I must have some black magic skills, but I just render in fprime with pretty basic settings.

That's how I feel about Fprime too and moreso after seeing this. I wouldn't use FP for every situation of course but it does what it does well and is more stable these days.

Bill Carey
08-19-2009, 06:43 PM
Very nice, nice work! Loved the water work particularly.

But, while you can drift with a Corvette, it's a crime against god and nature, it's wrong. :)

Matt
08-19-2009, 08:32 PM
Awesome work, loved the lighting and sunbursts.

And who said FPrime is a _preview_ renderer only, shame on you! It's saved my bacon many a project with its render speed.

ivanze
08-19-2009, 09:51 PM
This is amazing!!
Congratulations!!

ken_g9
08-19-2009, 11:28 PM
That's some wicked work!! :thumbsup:

bassmanjam
08-19-2009, 11:43 PM
Very impressive. I ended up forgetting why I was watching it and just enjoyed it.

Nigel
08-19-2009, 11:50 PM

Fprime is pretty central to our work, we held off on using 9.6 simply because Fprime 3.5 wasn't out yet. Fprime is the way to go when you're on a tight deadline. We pipe work from another package into LW just so we can take care of the lighting and rendering, cause rendering elsewhere is like watching grass grow in the desert :)

Very nice, nice work! Loved the water work particularly.

But, while you can drift with a Corvette, it's a crime against god and nature, it's wrong. :)

Hehe, thanks. About the drifting ... we plead the Fifth, it wasn't our fault :) The creative director of the agency has a C6, and is an avid performance car fan, there's no way we'd get away with a race track section without some sideways action :)

Awesome work, loved the lighting and sunbursts.

And who said FPrime is a _preview_ renderer only, shame on you! It's saved my bacon many a project with its render speed.

Thanks man, glad you liked that. Nothing fancy with the lighting though, in most cases, just 3 bounce MC with a gradient in the background, a sun light, and a specular light, thats it.

This is amazing!!
Congratulations!!

Awesome, thanks for the comment. The team, while not on the forum, are reading the comments, and thank you all for the kind words.

Consty
08-19-2009, 11:59 PM
That was pretty awesome!

Though, if I might make two comments, just from an aesthetic view (cos god knows I can't really critique it technically :) ) - I did think that everything looked a little bit too clean, and there was something about the way the cars moved that didn't quite look 100% realistic to me. Can't put my finger on what though - might be how the wheels were spinning, or the traction on the road...

But these are really minor quibbles. You guys did a really great job there, and it was great fun to watch - well done! :)

Nigel
08-20-2009, 12:04 AM
That's some wicked work!! :thumbsup:

Thanks man :thumbsup:

Very impressive. I ended up forgetting why I was watching it and just enjoyed it.

hehe, well thats a good thing. Thanks for the compliment.

Nigel
08-20-2009, 12:16 AM
That was pretty awesome!

Though, if I might make two comments, just from an aesthetic view (cos god knows I can't really critique it technically :) ) - I did think that everything looked a little bit too clean, and there was something about the way the cars moved that didn't quite look 100% realistic to me. Can't put my finger on what though - might be how the wheels were spinning, or the traction on the road...

But these are really minor quibbles. You guys did a really great job there, and it was great fun to watch - well done! :)

Thanks, glad you enjoyed it. All comments, even constructive criticism are welcome, its how we learn and grow. The overall clean look was a specific requirement on this job, no grit, no dirt, and clean textures.
I have to agree with you though, there are some shots, that if we had the time, we'd love to back and tweak the animation, but with the deadline looming, we had to move forward, going back for a do-over wasnt an option.
Thanks for the comments, always appreciated.

Consty
08-20-2009, 02:02 AM
Fair enough, I guess when it comes to cars I'm just spoiled by Top Gear ;). Still, great work though!

Matt
08-20-2009, 04:52 AM
Fair enough, I guess when it comes to cars I'm just spoiled by Top Gear ;). Still, great work though!

The way Top Gear film their cars is top notch, really quite arty!

The presenting style is becoming a bit of a parody of itself I find though.

biliousfrog
08-20-2009, 07:25 AM
Just finished watching it, great stuff.

On the whole I thought that it was brilliant, especially given the amount of animation work involved and the time it was done in. I particularly liked the cinematography which seemed to adjust to suit each segment of the piece.

I have a few minor crits which are more or less pointless mentioning because of the constraints you were under but here they are...

The car surfaces look far too 'gradienty'...which is a stupid word to use but I'm not sure how else to describe it. The blue ones are the worst culprits which look almost luminous in some shots.

The dark glass surfaces looked too dark and broke the realism making them look like toys in some shots. I can understand the reasons behind it but I'm curious why it was used when you have drivers in the cars?

I can see Chevvy getting a lot of complaints from people breaking their 4x4's by trying to drive through rivers without a snorkle fitted...not your problem but I'm surprised that it got through.

Overall I thought that it was very well done, congrats to all of the team.

BTW...why has the thread been tagged with prn?

shrox
08-20-2009, 09:21 AM
It should also be mentioned that retailers, company owners etc. like clean and shiny. A 4x4 in the mud is one thing, but they would most likely want their fleet of cars to be clean and presentable.

Nigel
08-20-2009, 10:26 AM
Just finished watching it, great stuff.

On the whole I thought that it was brilliant, especially given the amount of animation work involved and the time it was done in. I particularly liked the cinematography which seemed to adjust to suit each segment of the piece.

I have a few minor crits which are more or less pointless mentioning because of the constraints you were under but here they are...

The car surfaces look far too 'gradienty'...which is a stupid word to use but I'm not sure how else to describe it. The blue ones are the worst culprits which look almost luminous in some shots.

The dark glass surfaces looked too dark and broke the realism making them look like toys in some shots. I can understand the reasons behind it but I'm curious why it was used when you have drivers in the cars?

I can see Chevvy getting a lot of complaints from people breaking their 4x4's by trying to drive through rivers without a snorkle fitted...not your problem but I'm surprised that it got through.

Overall I thought that it was very well done, congrats to all of the team.

BTW...why has the thread been tagged with prn?

Hey there, thanks for taking the time to comment. I'll do my best to address your questions.

I dont think there was a concious decision to make the cars look "gradienty" (I learnt a new word today,hehe :P ) We weren't getting enough blue from the sky showing in the surfaces, so we added an additive gradient to try inject some artificially. For the most part it worked, but in the end, as you noticed, the blue cars didnt appreciate the gradient as much as the others did. I wasnt involved in the comp work, but I suspect that may have been where their fate was sealed.

Dark windows have been something we've always used. In our print campaigns, the client/agency never wanted to see more than a silhouette of the interior, so nothing more than a proxy interior was ever added to the cars. Making the windows more transparent would make this weakness a glaring problem, not to mention the additional character animation across 100 shots, because again, showing a static character would not help the production any. Sacrifices had to be made.

I dont think Chevrolet will be using this to advertise its cars, or uses there of. I cant speak for them, but if anybody is "clever" enough to take their SUV into a windshield deep pool of water, then I guess they deserve whats coming to them :) I think Chev is selling their brand in this production, not their products. Its not an ad to go buy a specific car, its just a fun, spirited showcase.

Finally, I have no idea what "prn" means, I've searched the forum and FAQ, but came up empty handed.

It should also be mentioned that retailers, company owners etc. like clean and shiny. A 4x4 in the mud is one thing, but they would most likely want their fleet of cars to be clean and presentable.

You're right on the money there, clean, shiny, and hyper real, larger than life. No dirt,grit or grime. The "clean" look needed to be exaggerated on this job.

badpineapple
08-20-2009, 01:10 PM
A little off topic, but the soundtrack is incredible, too. Fantastic work.

Eugeny
08-21-2009, 02:15 PM
Just wondering - did you guys modeled all these cars or used prebuild ?

Andyjaggy
08-21-2009, 02:30 PM
Great work. A bit long though, I lost interest about 3 minutes in.

Nigel
08-22-2009, 12:31 AM
Just wondering - did you guys modeled all these cars or used prebuild ?

12 of the 18 cars were built by hand, the remaining 6 were CAD models.

Thanks ... and uh ... sorry, I guess?!? :) We didnt have control over the length of the piece, we just had to fill it with visuals. Pity you lost interest 3 minutes in, think you might have enjoyed the last section.

biliousfrog
08-22-2009, 02:37 AM

I agree that it did seem quite long and the first part didn't quite have the same impact as the rest of it...but...I got the impression that it could easily be split into smaller chunks to 'sell' a particular model, in much the same way as a lot of commercials have a number of edits for cinema, TV, web, 15 seconds, 30 seconds, 45 seconds etc. I'm not sure whether that was the intention but I saw it as a collection of smaller pieces rather than a single one.

Iain
08-22-2009, 06:35 AM
Bloody hell-that's an amazing piece!

I wish I had more hands but......... :thumbsup::thumbsup:

Andyjaggy
08-22-2009, 04:38 PM
12 of the 18 cars were built by hand, the remaining 6 were CAD models.

Thanks ... and uh ... sorry, I guess?!? :) We didnt have control over the length of the piece, we just had to fill it with visuals. Pity you lost interest 3 minutes in, think you might have enjoyed the last section.

I know it's not your fault, just saying.

akademus
08-23-2009, 10:20 AM
Hey Nigel,
awesome work as ever! Like the clean look of it all.

I've been following what you guys are doing there for some time now. Amazing, simply amazing.

I hope you'll move soon ;)

Vojislav Milanovic

G-Man
08-23-2009, 01:53 PM
AWESOME! What a huge job. Did you use any vehicle dynamics plugins or was it all hand animated? I really liked the water and the close up Grill shots!

From 1:40 to 2:07 Amazing!

Nigel
08-24-2009, 08:53 AM
I know it's not your fault, just saying.

Cool, no worries man. I think in one sitting, it can get a bit much for some, especially if what you're seeing doesnt tickle your fancy. Its going to be looped on big screens in the dealerships, so if you think about it, the average customer might only catch a glimpse of it here and there.

Hey Nigel,
awesome work as ever! Like the clean look of it all.

I've been following what you guys are doing there for some time now. Amazing, simply amazing.

I hope you'll move soon ;)

Vojislav Milanovic

Thanks man, glad you like it, and the other work we do. I'll let the guys know they have a fan (or a stalker, just kidding :P )

Nigel
08-24-2009, 08:59 AM
AWESOME! What a huge job. Did you use any vehicle dynamics plugins or was it all hand animated? I really liked the water and the close up Grill shots!

From 1:40 to 2:07 Amazing!

Hey G-Man. No vehicle dynamics were used, we just used Relativity on the wheels to have them rotate accurately when we animated the cars moving about. That water shot is great, I must admit, when I first saw the edit where the static water plane was replaced with this effect, I was awestruck. Worked really well I though.

Thanks for the comments!

avkills
08-24-2009, 12:18 PM
Awesome stuff. Really impressive. Everything was top notch. The off road water was very nice.

-mark

Ckeri
08-25-2009, 02:30 PM
Awesome work!

adk
08-27-2009, 12:54 AM
stunning work guys :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup: and thanks for all the additional info

Lewis
08-27-2009, 01:12 AM
As I've said on Spinquad it's awesome piece of work/art so congrats to you and rest of team :).

wildr3d
08-27-2009, 01:00 PM
That's a good looking spot for the number people and time you had. Loved the effects work. Nice to see Dynamite in there. The realflow sim was excellent as well. You work with a talented crew for sure.

JeffrySG
09-10-2009, 11:25 AM
Wow, really great work! Congrats to your whole team!

I like the overall look of the animation too... not completely photo-realistic but not too CG also... it's a nice middle point. I love the water shots and the shots with all of the cars leaving tire marks and skidding on the pavement.

:thumbsup::thumbsup:

zxq12
09-13-2009, 05:11 PM
best 3d iv seen pretty much ever.
outdone transformers
so much work!!!!!!!!!!!

shrox
09-13-2009, 07:21 PM
We're still talking about this? Well, I guess good quality work gets talked about!