PDA

View Full Version : Simple Skin rendering problems

Sarford
08-17-2009, 09:09 AM
I'm trying to test some textures I'm making for my model. I've plugged them into the simple skin node and put a distant light in front and behind the character, both at 100%.

When I render with just the lights everything is OK, but check the GI version and the GI+Lights version.
The GI version lost all its color and the GI+Lights version is totaly overblown. I don't get it, shouldn't the GI version be more or less the same as the version with only lights (excluding temperature, direction and intensity ofcourse)?

I'm puzzled mostly by the total absence of color in the GI version. Can someone tell me whats going on?

ps: In the GI version, the GI is set to 500%, in the other versions to 100%. Otherwise, FG is just switched on, no adjusting the GI parameters.

jasonwestmas
08-17-2009, 09:38 AM
How big is your model? That's the only thing I have had problems with using FS. That, or something needs to be turned on or off. I just never had this issue so I'm not sure.

jasonwestmas
08-17-2009, 09:40 AM
Did you try rendering with GI within a room? I rarely get good results with just a black background.

Sarford
08-17-2009, 11:02 AM
Thank for your help Jason.

I was trying to light my model with a HDRI only, which should be possible couse I used that methode on my car render. Maybe the Simple Skin shader needs a room...

I've now setup a room and the render is much beter (changed one light to area), but I guess that GI isn't the way to test textures :D (with all the sploches and all)

Thanks pal.

jasonwestmas
08-17-2009, 11:51 AM
Yeah that looks much better! Probably had something to do with the specular reflection that is imbeded in the material node. GI just enhanced that effect giving you an undesired reflection. Just a guess.

Sarford
08-18-2009, 07:45 AM
Yeah that looks much better! Probably had something to do with the specular reflection that is imbeded in the material node. GI just enhanced that effect giving you an undesired reflection. Just a guess.

Sadly no, I had thought of the same thing and had killed the spec before but then you just get something like the GI version, just without spec. 8/

Sarford
08-18-2009, 07:48 AM
I have found a new problem with the simple skin shader. My object is set to Smoothing, but the shader still renders facetet. Is there some setting that I don't know of or is this a bug? Working on a Mac btw.

It is not a subpatched model, it is a frozen mesh couse the subpatch brought LW to its knees.

toby
08-18-2009, 02:49 PM
I've seen what looks like faceting when the sss distance setting is too high.

One thing you can do to tweak this shader is make the diffuse black, and turn off visibility for all but one subsurface layer, then you can see what that layer looks like all by itself. So you could find out which layer is causing this problem.