PDA

View Full Version : Just an observation about 3D animation studios that don't know how to do 3D animation

shrox
08-15-2009, 02:38 PM
A bit of a rant...

I see many posts on here from "animation studios" that ask some of the most basic questions that a professional would know, and the answers are most often right in the manual. I wonder how they present themselves to clients? And I wonder what their clients think of the finished work.

Asking about pricing, how to avoid getting ripped off and such is understandable, but asking how to render when your sig says you are a studio just seems odd. Encountering a bug or tricky workaround is one thing, but asking how to do something every step of the way seems like a drain on our time.

Sure, I don't have to answer, but I'd like to see more effort from these "studios", a good part of the fun is figuring it out yourself. Like I said before, you can't really break it, so try to figure it out by reading and actually attempting things. You might even discover something new to share.

Rantatouille mode off...

cresshead
08-15-2009, 03:14 PM
everyone is constantly learning i guess from people who just start out and want to know how to make a box and put it in layout to seasoned pro's and some 'want' to become a studio and so ask questions from people who's been there and done it so to speak.

so yeah some basic Q's may come from 'studio's...that studio maybe doing it's first paying gig and wants to 'do it right'

yup i've seen some top artist's pose some Q's that 'i knew' an answer for and i'm just a 'wanna be' compared to them but if i have a possible solution to their query then i'll sure try n help them out.

no one's holding a gun to my head for me to answer, my choice!

i'd sure NOT wanting people to answer questions or just come back with RTFM...there's other forum's out there who activly promote such a awful attitude and that's why i find myself here more than any other 3d forum.

i get what your saying hrox but do don't have to anwer a Q....your not bound by law or owt eh!

toby
08-15-2009, 03:39 PM
A studio may be doing 3d, or lw, for the first time too.

But yea, if someone's asking "how do I make a box" or "how do I turn on reflection", that is lazy, and they certainly do need to RTFM.

probiner
08-15-2009, 04:43 PM
Read To Funny Manuel ?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o8DngrgIpS0#t=0m36s

shrox
08-15-2009, 05:23 PM
Like I said, a tricky problem, or a bug you don't about is one thing (and we have seen many posts by a newbie struggling with something until they asked, but they did try hard before asking, like the recent tank tread threads, and solutions were found). But when you can tell they are literailly asking for every step, we should start charging them.

probiner
08-15-2009, 05:43 PM
Shrox you can always make tutorials and sell them.

Unless you talking about a 555-LWHelp or subscription foruns or something.

shrox
08-15-2009, 05:49 PM
Shrox you can always make tutorials and sell them.

Unless you talking about a 555-LWHelp or subscription foruns or something.

Me? Teach? Maybe how to suck at tutorials...

THREEL
08-15-2009, 09:21 PM
Sometimes the manual is very cut-and-dry on a particular subjects, while other times a LW subject is covered in a very vague way, if at all. As for me, I'm a very visual learner, and lot's of times I've found that the manual either has absolutely no photos referring to how to use a command. or an extremely poor quality photo.

I must say that I believe that my own personal abilities have grown by leaps and bounds by asking questions here. Several people have helped me grow in LW, especially the modeling aspect. In turn, I have tried to share my insight with others.

Finally, there have been times when I have looked for something in the manual and couldn't find it at all. This, also, goes for F1 Help while you are in :lwicon:. On several occasions, I've had an extremely difficult, if not impossible, time trying to find what I've wanted to know when I hit F1.

shrox
08-15-2009, 09:56 PM
Sometimes the manual is very cut-and-dry on a particular subjects, while other times a LW subject is covered in a very vague way, if at all. As for me, I'm a very visual learner, and lot's of times I've found that the manual either has absolutely no photos referring to how to use a command. or an extremely poor quality photo.

I must say that I believe that my own personal abilities have grown by leaps and bounds by asking questions here. Several people have helped me grow in LW, especially the modeling aspect. In turn, I have tried to share my insight with others.

Finally, there have been times when I have looked for something in the manual and couldn't find it at all. This, also, goes for F1 Help while you are in :lwicon:. On several occasions, I've had an extremely difficult, if not impossible, time trying to find what I've wanted to know when I hit F1.

Yes, but that's the opposite of what I posted, I mean those that don't even seem to try, like "I managed to make a box, how do I texture it?" or "how do rotate an object" or "what is a polygon?"

jaxtone
08-16-2009, 05:30 AM
Personally I hate manuals cause they are so dead. In my production cycles I create so many different styles of art and music, and since 3D is just one of these, "I got a memory like a gold fish", sometimes even the most simple things fall out of my memory because sometimes it takes about half a year in between different 3D projects. When I look back on the past and how some forums acted with high rated members and no valued rookies it makes me wanna vomit since itīs no good environment for young flower buds to grow in.

I guess this wasnīt the specified group of users you meant but it feels good to have written it down here anyway. On the other hand I guess there could be a secret society for high skilled people as well but actually donīt see the point since almost any other part of the modern world is going for an open society. At least on top of that surface we are allowed to look at.

Proton and Ablan and anyone that can deliver information without a viewer like me fall asleep are like modern Gods in my eyes.

I admit I am not a white paper person and I am sorry if I have upset anyone by asking easy stuff time from time, but as a balanced input here are some tricky questions for you Shrox as well, if anyone else with an adequate answer respond Iīll of course listen to their opinion to:

How can I stop young beautiful womenīs invitations that put my marriage at a risk? :gotpics:

probiner
08-16-2009, 05:34 AM
Jeez, thats quite easy. You stay put and say no to the young girls and deliver all that tension to your wife. Win-win...

Oh that was not a real question was it?... Crap, i always fall.

Cheers

jaxtone
08-16-2009, 09:58 AM
Hehehe... yeah it was a joke right, but I take your advice with me anyway!

Most welcome!

Jeez, thats quite easy. You stay put and say no to the young girls and deliver all that tension to your wife. Win-win...

Oh that was not a real question was it?... Crap, i always fall.

Cheers