PDA

View Full Version : importing acad files

plato
08-26-2003, 02:14 PM
Anybody out there know whether you can import dwg or dxf
files from autocad?

We are in the process of purchasing Lightwave 3d and
this question needs to be answered before we make the leap.

Thank you

Zafar Iqbal
08-26-2003, 08:34 PM
Import dxf directly into LW Modeler: DXF Import (http://www.dstorm.co.jp/dslib/objio.html)

This plugin works just fine, but if you really want something good, then i suggest CADGate (http://www.applicraft.com/English/CADgate_main.htm).

Unfortuanatly its not free (but you can download a trial version), and requires Adobe Illustrator (to convert and then import into LW using EPS importer).

Riff_Masteroff
08-26-2003, 08:50 PM
Sure, you can import *.dwg or *.dfx files into Lightwave 3d. I do it professionally on a daily basis.

You should have a separate program to use as a file converter. Some use Adobe Illustrator 10 - I use a drafting program (
Turbocad 7). Are your *.dwg files 2d or 3d? That is important: the file conversion program Polytrans will only work with 3d files consisting of polygons. I haven't been able to make another file conversion program, deep exploration work for me.

I use lightwave to analyze various .dwg files. Basically I check if they work in a real world environment. I do know not drafting programs very well. I have been using TurboCAD as a file converter. I bring the *.dwg file into TurboCAD and export as a *.3ds (sometimes dxf, but that usually doesn't work too well). I then open the .3ds in lightwave and a) cleanup the geometry b) put the building datum at lightwave 0,0,0 c) size the geometry to 1:1 scale and d)convert to *.lwo.

For me that method of file conversion is difficult, but worth it. It loads the puter up and is slow until I cleanup Autodesk's very messy geometry. Extremely sloppy geometry is common from acad drafting files. Usually I am able to reduce the both the point and line count by an order of magnitude (sometimes I achieve a two order of magnitude reduction) and STILL the basic information in the file remains unchanged.

I say 'worth it' because LW3D is a very accurate and powerful program. I have used it to 'humble' architects, structural engineers, mechanical designers and subcontrators. The idea is to get them to design without major conflicts in their 'vision'.

Professionally, using Lightwave 3d, I have been able to catch (and have the designers rectify) many errors (and repeated errors) early on in the construction process.

Riff