PDA

View Full Version : City Effect..Dpont nodes rock

H_Molla
08-14-2009, 03:42 PM
Well...this is early..but i was dreaming to do it, and now i have a project that need need.

this what i did achieve till now..still working, but node setup now is giving me the possibility to animate faster..
critics & opinions are more than welcome..

A VERY SPECIAL THANKS TO Gerardo :thumbsup:" thank you very very very much " although i am still trying to get into thing you told me & i am not able to understand..
by the way delete messages as i am not able to send you ant message..\i did through spin-quad.

thanks

Matt
08-14-2009, 04:47 PM
That's really cool! Be interested more in how this was done.

probiner
08-14-2009, 05:06 PM
Looks nice.

"Sounds" like a Part Move job to me =)

H_Molla
08-14-2009, 05:16 PM
That's really cool! Be interested more in how this was done.
Thanks matt,

it it my pleasure to explain the whole node setup, but forgive me this day as i am working on this project & i had to deliver everything Tuesday..
after that i will post every single step.

probiner, yes sure but you don't know how much i was suffering..

daforum
08-14-2009, 06:51 PM
Looks amazing. I too would like to know how you did this.
It would be incredible to see an entire city growing this way.

wacom
08-14-2009, 07:06 PM
Using a null's Y axis to control rotation and scaling of objects or something similar?

This looks really cool. If you put motion blur on it and some slow camera push the thing will be even easier to "sell". I've seen extensive use of blur do wonders for transformations that are 1/6th as believable!

Like to know more too and see the final!

caesar
08-14-2009, 09:38 PM
Wow, great wprk! And perfect previewed in layout!

geo_n
08-14-2009, 09:55 PM
Excellent. Playing it in reverse is equally interesting. Hmmm..could add smoke and explosion to that reverse version :D

Magnus81
08-14-2009, 11:07 PM
That's really cool! I would definitely like to know how to do this. Keep us posted!!

Mr Rid
08-14-2009, 11:59 PM
Reminds me of a timelapse city shot done back in 7.5 with Relativity for a Sim City spot. I recall that it was all set up so the user had only to drag a single null thru the environment and the buildings would grow as it passed by so the overall speed and direction of the city growth could be precisely controlled.

monovich
08-15-2009, 12:58 AM
very cool. would love to see more of how its set up as well.

shrox
08-15-2009, 01:29 AM
Reminds me of a timelapse city shot done back in 7.5 with Relativity for a Sim City spot. I recall that it was all set up so the user had only to drag a single null thru the environment and the buildings would grow as it passed by so the overall speed and direction of the city growth could be precisely controlled.

Hey Mr. Rid, did you work at Maxis too? I was there in 1996-1997.

Riff_Masteroff
08-15-2009, 07:08 AM
Sorry folks. Both anims look like irrelevant archviz to my eyes. That is: either is divorced from the reality of construction except for the fact that the flow is from the bottom to the top. Construction of a real project DOES NOT look like this.

geo_n
08-15-2009, 08:29 AM
Sorry folks. Both anims look like irrelevant archviz to my eyes. That is: either is divorced from the reality of construction except for the fact that the flow is from the bottom to the top. Construction of a real project DOES NOT look like this.

Yep they are irrelevant to constructing buildings. They are tricks for lw EFFECTS :D.

shrox
08-15-2009, 09:39 AM

Wow, I didn't know that...do you mean that real construction involves things like people, cranes and trucks? And surely no one would ever want to do something "irrelevant".

Mr Rid
08-15-2009, 11:22 AM
very cool. would love to see more of how its set up as well.

Yeah, I dont know. I did not work on that shot. I was boggled by what the guy had set up.

Hey Mr. Rid, did you work at Maxis too? I was there in 1996-1997.

No, dont know Maxis.

Sorry folks. ...Construction of a real project DOES NOT look like this.

They're obviously not intended to duplicate reality. The concept is more whimsical, and the point of interest is the technique.

Here's the whole Sim City spot (24mb).
http://www.box.net/shared/static/lrbroeu753.mov

Riff_Masteroff
08-15-2009, 12:41 PM
H_Molla: I do most certainly agree that dpont's nodes are incredible. In this thread, I guess I am off topic, but.....construction issues are simply an unwarranted sore point with me.
Mr. Rid: Yes, of course, its about technique not reality. My concern is about lightwave in world that increasingly uses 3d for real issues. In construction, arch viz's part of the 'pie' is getting much smaller even though, as an industry, arch viz is growing. Robertoortiz & exception also have posted similar concerns. Btw....I really enjoyed your recent exchange with Lightwolf over programming and rotate path.
Shrox: I wasn't thinking about such detail as ppl, cranes,trucks and formwork. For sure, Mr Rid's sim city clip was a bit better in that it clearly showed assembly of three components for each building (steel structure, concrete floors (slabs), and the facade or skin of the building.

The structure, be it steel, concrete or a mix of those, goes up in a ascending spiral movement. The logistics of having needed materials available dictate this. For safety reasons (in elevation) the structure must be topped out (complete) before the facade-skin goes on. Many times the structure is entirely complete before window walls or precast assembly is begun. The facade is many times assembled by elevation, that is, say the north side of the bldg first, then a second or third crew works on their particular elevation. If the skin is precast concrete, the windows go in last. etc.
Attached is an image from a LW forensic anim that I completed in 2002. It compared construction from an ideal vs actual point of view and resulted in my employer receiving about 22 million USD as a court resolution. I do wish to re-render the anim using sIBL, sanitize it and post it on robertoortiz's seeder thread (using LW for forensic anims).

I mostly work with 3d in construction in order to resolve problems before real construction begins.

shrox
08-15-2009, 01:32 PM
...No, dont know Maxis...

Maxis made SimCity and the Sims.

Tippsy
08-15-2009, 02:37 PM
RIff, this has nothing to do with construction real world as u should easily be able to see by the video so yes your way off topic here.

shrox
08-15-2009, 02:39 PM
RIff, this has nothing to do with construction real world as u should easily be able to see by the video so yes your way off topic here.

Yes, it's "artistic license"...

Mr Rid
08-15-2009, 05:37 PM
Maxis made SimCity and the Sims.

Ah. I worked at Rhythm and Hues commercial division where they did the commercial.

shrox
08-15-2009, 05:45 PM
Ah. I worked at Rhythm and Hues commercial division where they did the commercial.

It's funny. They didn't like my idea for it, but the commercial ended up being almost what I had pitched!

geo_n
08-17-2009, 12:15 AM
Here's the whole Sim City spot (24mb).
http://www.box.net/shared/static/lrbroeu753.mov

Wow! where's the guy who did that? :thumbsup:

adk
08-17-2009, 01:23 AM
Nice work H_Molla - would love to see how that was done as I've been mucking about with the DP displacement nodes lately as well (they do open up a world of possibilities - cheers Denis ) :thumbsup:

Thanks matt,

it it my pleasure to explain the whole node setup, but forgive me this day as i am working on this project & i had to deliver everything Tuesday..

erikals
08-18-2009, 03:49 PM
i must say, i somewhat agree with Riff_Masteroff...

if you work in the industry you might look at this animation as an annoying flaw,
if you try to impress architects with this animation you will likely fail.
...artistic or not!

for a Matrix sci-fi shot however this would be cool.

4dartist
08-18-2009, 04:42 PM
I think if you animated the growth of a city, this effect may work for buildings far off. :) Quick and dirty for the background, then do the accurate growth for the foreground buildings. Also kinda looks like a transformer going into building mode.

Pretty neat effect.

The Sim City video is awesome.

erikals
08-18-2009, 05:46 PM
Thanks matt,

BDD? http://forums.cgsociety.org/images/smilies/smile.gif

GraphXs
08-18-2009, 10:53 PM
MrRid, great reel, I've seen alot of your stuff on youtube. You don't have any tutorial or info on how you do your particles/hypervoxel work. Do you use sprites or volume? I am struggling with the look of Hypervoxels and want to make them look good. I have achieved a decent look with using sprites and multiple emitters that to give some varaition. I also use dissolve to get them to fade out smoothly. Any tips or trick on the stuff you have done to make them look like yours is very welcome!:thumbsup:

DrStrik9
08-19-2009, 12:22 AM
At first, it looked to me like the Near Clip Distance needed to be fixed. I've seen this kind of thing a thousand times, but never thought anything of it. Am I missing something?

Mr Rid
08-19-2009, 12:50 AM
...You don't have any tutorial or info on how you do your particles/hypervoxel work. ...

Some tips here-
http://www.newtek.com/forums/showthread.php?t=70370&highlight=fire+smoke+voxels
http://www.newtek.com/forums/showthread.php?t=73023&highlight=flamethrower&page=3
I rely on post processing a lot.

Karlieman made a fire tut, #18-
http://www.newtek.com/forums/showthread.php?t=99866&highlight=fire&page=2

GraphXs
08-19-2009, 11:57 AM
Great Thanks!

G-Man
08-19-2009, 10:16 PM
Really nice technique! Can't wait to see the setup.

archijam
08-20-2009, 03:18 AM
As an architect, I don't find the technique offensive, just abstract.

That said, I wonder also about the clipping effect, as the structure sees to appear first closer to the camera, instead of vertically.

The effect would be way more interesting with a stagger/delay IMHO, with at least. 2 steps, structure and facade.

H_Molla
08-20-2009, 03:53 AM
As an architect, I don't find the technique offensive, just abstract.

That said, I wonder also about the clipping effect, as the structure sees to appear first closer to the camera, instead of vertically.

The effect would be way more interesting with a stagger/delay IMHO, with at least. 2 steps, structure and facade.
you are right..that is what i did now with my project..
i will post the semi final shoot..i am just busy this day..but i will post everything,,

khan973
08-25-2009, 10:50 PM
Well...this is early..but i was dreaming to do it, and now i have a project that need need.

this what i did achieve till now..still working, but node setup now is giving me the possibility to animate faster..
critics & opinions are more than welcome..

A VERY SPECIAL THANKS TO Gerardo :thumbsup:" thank you very very very much " although i am still trying to get into thing you told me & i am not able to understand..
by the way delete messages as i am not able to send you ant message..\i did through spin-quad.

thanks

Hey, great effect! I'm looking forward to see how you got it!!!

H_Molla
09-03-2009, 02:46 PM
guys, what do u think ???

erikals
09-03-2009, 03:03 PM
http://forums.cgsociety.org/images/smilies/smile.gif

Buldings_A_extra_rgb
make the tall builings generate faster, as the floating mesh at the start looks confusing

Cairo_Render_Sequence
i love teh first second,
a building that is closer to the camera looks to look better for some reason,...

Close_up_shoot_rgb
the 3rd building to the right looks kind of "off", too simple.
the sky bkg is not all that, neither the ground.
but!
i must say other than that it totally rocks, very good work

cool stuff you made here! http://forums.cgsociety.org/images/smilies/smile.gif

archijam
09-03-2009, 03:07 PM
Really fantastic :thumbsup: - great technique, helped by some nice final render quality.

Actual real-world construction aside, a few individual buildings give the technique away, where elements hover in mid-air etc. The ones where the roof follows the construction up to the top are somehow more 'convincing' as an effect.

It is interesting that in teh closeup shot you can see that the objects disappear in 'triangles' - though it may simply be time for your BIG REVEAL of your technique ;) *hint* and I'll bite my tongue in the meantime ..

3DGFXStudios
09-03-2009, 03:25 PM
Really col animation!!!
How did you do this. Can you show a node setup? You say Dpont nodes rock (I know ;)) so I guess you used a lot of nodes for it.

monovich
09-03-2009, 03:52 PM
love the final renders. yes there are some strange glitches here and there, but the overall effect is eye candy, and sometimes that is all that matters. I still want to see how its done! :)

erikals
09-03-2009, 04:15 PM
hm, thinking about it, almost similar stuff can be made using dynamics with "on collision"
then bake the anim to a .mdd and then reverse the .mdd file using DPont's plug...

...though doesn't look like that is what you did, can't see anything revealing any dynamics...

edit: ah, maybe i know,... though i'm not that good with nodes... ;)

H_Molla
09-03-2009, 07:27 PM
edit: ah, maybe i know,... though i'm not that good with nodes... ;)

i swear my 2 :dance:

H_Molla
09-03-2009, 08:39 PM
" erikals " i love your avatar by the way..

erikals
09-03-2009, 09:38 PM
thanks Mister ;)
hope to make a CG anim of it one of these days... http://forums.cgsociety.org/images/smilies/smile.gif

3DGFXStudios
09-04-2009, 03:43 PM
Oooo never mind...I got it already ;)

H_Molla
09-04-2009, 05:04 PM
i will upload a sample scene tomorrow.

H_Molla
09-04-2009, 05:06 PM
Oooo never mind...I got it already ;)

cool...i hope u did something different than what i did so we have 2 different ways which open for us many doors..:thumbsup:

3DGFXStudios
09-05-2009, 05:17 AM
cool...i hope u did something different than what i did so we have 2 different ways which open for us many doors..:thumbsup:

I'll post a shot if the client is ok with that. :thumbsup: And a setup screenshot.

tyrot
09-05-2009, 06:16 AM
dear 3DGFX

waiting impatiently... you know what **** client you post that setup anyway we all trust ya :)

Molla....are you gonna post something in this century :) come on mate... you are building whole egypt from the ground still no setup to share :) come on come on

Best

3DGFXStudios
09-06-2009, 12:21 PM
Here's something else I made with the Dpkit nodes. The client thought the detail was to high so I came up with this setup.

I don't have time to explain it deeply but if you have questions feel free to ask. :hey:

gerardstrada
09-06-2009, 10:13 PM

thanks

Hey! nice results. Glad to see your project has gone well! :thumbsup:

Gerardo

erikals
09-06-2009, 11:45 PM
hehe :) cool....
thanks Mister,... hope to take a better look at it...

Very interesting :)

H_Molla
09-07-2009, 05:26 PM
sorry guys we were busy..here is a scene file & the node setup..
all of the motion is driven with the same image sequence map ( clones ) with different speed & starting points ( can be replaced with gradient )..
i will explain more in a 2nd post..
sorry again but we have WIP right now..:)

tyrot
09-07-2009, 05:50 PM
dear molla

wow...thanks mate..im checking your setup..and waiting for the 2nd post...thanks again..

BEST

erikals
09-07-2009, 08:03 PM
Cool stuff http://forums.cgsociety.org/images/smilies/smile.gif

hope to make some experiments later on using this... http://forums.cgsociety.org/images/smilies/smile.gif

thank you.

H_Molla
09-08-2009, 06:27 PM
Cool stuff http://forums.cgsociety.org/images/smilies/smile.gif

hope to make some experiments later on using this... http://forums.cgsociety.org/images/smilies/smile.gif

thank you.

you are welcome sir :-)

H_Molla
09-08-2009, 06:27 PM
dear molla

wow...thanks mate..im checking your setup..and waiting for the 2nd post...thanks again..

BEST

hope u find it useful...

Breed47
09-09-2009, 05:43 AM
Awesome man!
Waiting for your 2:nd post.

Julez4001
09-10-2009, 09:27 AM
Seems like it would help for doing a transformer robot with internal noodling and such.

H_Molla
09-10-2009, 08:52 PM
Seems like it would help for doing a transformer robot with internal noodling and such.

yep...wait & u will see more magic in the way :-) i wish i have some time to finsh what i am doing now..
but it will be fake..just eye candy shoot...

H_Molla
09-10-2009, 08:59 PM
never thought 1 a million that it will spread like that...:)

H_Molla
09-11-2009, 09:24 PM
Weird germans... :)
Nice effect, looking forward to dissecting the scene - thanks for sharing!

This was done at a company I worked at (though I worked on the less spectacular clips): SEW-Tradeshow (http://www.3dmadness.de/projects/sew_transformer/sew_ig_getriebe_wz_web_384k_unhinted.mov)
Guess this was also not done realistically accurate, right? ;)

it look fine, i guess with this new setup this work will look 180 different ( not sure better or keep it like that ), but i have a feeling it will be towards better...good job by the way..love the car part..really looking nice..
motion blur do miracles ;-)

erikals
09-12-2009, 05:43 AM
Oliver, is that Lightwave?... it kicks!... :)

H_Molla
09-13-2009, 09:11 PM
Nope, sorry :) - max and vray. I am convinced LW would be able to produce results like this though, but the company is a max facility. Freelanced there for this project. And as I said, don't want to boast - I worked on a different clip (we made 3 different ones for the same company - SEW). This one is the most spectacular, and it was 2-4 people in 6 weeks. I really like it...

6 weeks?? all the videos that u see is done in 4 days and not 24 hours working...this is the beauty of LW...

inakito
09-16-2009, 05:29 AM
Real impressive work. Your "Cairo render sequence" it is my winner in this case.

Thanks

geo_n
09-30-2009, 08:15 AM
Any chance this could be done without nodes?

H_Molla
09-30-2009, 09:50 AM
i don't think so..or it will take extra effort & time..but why you don't want 2 play with node..

geo_n
09-30-2009, 10:17 AM
i don't think so..or it will take extra effort & time..but why you don't want 2 play with node..

many are still using lw8 here especially freelancers. If the work is outsourced to them I have to use lw8 incase I do some edits in house that they're not paid to do so I avoid nodes. And it was done in max without nodes. And the sims video was done in lw6 posted by Mr.Rid?

biliousfrog
10-01-2009, 08:28 AM
A very quick and dirty way to approximate something like that is by using morphs to collapse the building. Create several morphs, break the object apart into smaller chunks and be sure to spread the parts as much as possible to that they arrive at different speeds. I've used that technique to remove sections of a gas platform so that a camera can look inside, it looks almost like an explosion in bullet time when the pieces move away...probably not the best thing for a gas platform but the client liked it. :D

jaxtone
10-04-2009, 02:24 AM
I see that you are announcing yourself as a top seller at TS. Can you answer my question because I am curious.

Which of all your items on TS have sold best including the "Herpes Virus"?

many are still using lw8 here especially freelancers. If the work is outsourced to them I have to use lw8 incase I do some edits in house that they're not paid to do so I avoid nodes. And it was done in max without nodes. And the sims video was done in lw6 posted by Mr.Rid?

geo_n
10-04-2009, 03:20 AM
I see that you are announcing yourself as a top seller at TS. Can you answer my question because I am curious.

Which of all your items on TS have sold best including the "Herpes Virus"?

Lol! Actually it said "top selling junk" before. Maybe I'll get more affiliate traffic with "top seller".:jester:
you can pm me if you need to ask about turbsquid so we won't be OT.

jaxtone
10-07-2009, 06:19 PM
I have now made a scene where the separate parts rotate around their own pivot points when the building grows, but which settings makes the pieces rotate around Y as a group as well as in the example from H Molla´s shared scene file...

jaxtone
10-08-2009, 04:36 PM
???

boarslight
10-12-2009, 08:18 AM
Is the 'Part Move' node available only for Windows? I have the DPkit downloaded, but it only has 'Poly Move' listed.

erikals
10-21-2009, 06:35 PM
???
don't know,...

-------

p.s.
i found it also somewhat worked with procedurals,
F6> processing> Textured filter

haven't tried with a UV map yet, though assume it should work...

Greenlaw
10-22-2009, 01:12 AM

Wow, that job brings back memories...or am I having a nightmarish flashback? (I have only myself to blame since I storyboarded that damned thing.) :)

Though it's difficult to make it out, if you step through the clip you can see our cg avatars walking around in the city. (Red shirt is me; Mr. Rid is in there too. We also made a horrific disco party clip using avatars of the whole crew, something I am NOT going to post here. Trust me, you don't want to see it.)

You can see the full spot (minus disco) at the R+H website (http://rhythm.com/commercials/index.shtml), though only in low res. It's not a direct link, but just click on Games, and then SimCity 4.

(I don't know why all these movies are still low res; in this day and age, this looks silly. I'll have to mention it to my boss tomorrow.)

Greenlaw

Greenlaw
10-22-2009, 01:29 AM
H_Molla, thanks for posting your nodes layout...this is very interesting. :thumbsup:

Greenlaw

H_Molla
12-14-2009, 06:53 PM
H_Molla, thanks for posting your nodes layout...this is very interesting. :thumbsup:

Greenlaw

you are welcome...i am a big fan of R+H, it was one of dreams...