PDA

View Full Version : And the winner is - District 9!

aurora
08-14-2009, 01:15 PM
And the winner is - District 9!
Get used to hearing that because come next year and all the award shows you'll be hearing it A LOT!

Best Damn movie I have seen in a long time. Thank God that P.J. and his crew did not need Hollywood money to ruin this movie.

Plus if you want to know what all the hype about 2012 is all about, screw seeing '2012', District 9 tells the true story!

Sekhar
08-14-2009, 03:15 PM
In what sense? CG or other? The CG was incredible, except in a few places; but the story/movie, I have a lot to complain about.

warrenwc
08-14-2009, 03:15 PM
I could tell by the trailers!
Really looking forward to seeing this.:alien:

realgray
08-14-2009, 05:46 PM
I saw the midnight showing last night and I thought it was great! Very original.

thomascheng
08-14-2009, 08:30 PM
I enjoyed the movie a lot. CG was great, the Mech scene, I loved. The animation was only so so, but the CG overall is very good.

Snosrap
08-14-2009, 09:18 PM
There was CG in that movie? Just returned from watching it with my two sons and some friends from the office. We thought it was a true story.

biliousfrog
08-15-2009, 03:12 AM
It doesn't start here until 4th Sept :(

I've been waiting for that day since I first saw Neill's 'Joburg' short.

borkus
08-15-2009, 02:16 PM
I liked the movie as well. There was one character that I began to hate from about the middle of the movie on... And like any good movie should, I got the moment to think, "There, ya [email protected]!!!"...

warrenwc
08-15-2009, 02:33 PM
Just got back.
Amazing!
It's hard to believe how often people have done so much less with so many more resources.

realgray
08-15-2009, 11:47 PM
Saw that District 9 was shot on the RED ONE.

http://reduser.net/forum/showthread.php?t=33663

I wonder how hard it was do all that 3d tracking for the aliens?

realgray
08-15-2009, 11:50 PM
Some cool behind the scenes stuff too.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oHMvVxY79p0

Red_Oddity
08-16-2009, 02:15 AM
7 October over here...long wait.
Maybe the Blu-Ray will be released before it hits the cinemas over here (wouldn't be the first time) :rolleyes:

warrenwc
08-16-2009, 10:22 AM
Some cool behind the scenes stuff too.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oHMvVxY79p0

Hollywood has a lot to worry about.

Stooch
08-16-2009, 11:18 AM
I have to say that the best movie this year is NOT district 9, its definitelly hurt locker.

While the effects were pretty damn good, the movie dipped into tv quality in a few spots. also i feel that direction was bad with some very obvious plot mechanisms repeated, because of this repetition there was a resounding failure at building tension. I wont get into spoilers but i think people will see what i mean. The entire crux of the movie and the main characters transformation is also VERY VERY BADLY thought out. just idiotic imo. when you finally find out what that mysterious substance is and what its intention is, you will say WTF?????!???? really? cmon.... why are they landing on earth anyway? HUUUUUUGE plot hole that kind of defeats the entire movie.

you can do better than that mr Blomkamp, especially if you have the mighty Peter Jackson holding your hand. Also everyone saw the main character spray himself in the face with some substance in the trailer... just keep that in mind as you watch the movie.

There are additional, HUGE plot holes, the size of Wolverine. But if i go into them they will be spoilers. ill tear into it at a later date lol.

acting to me was also pretty mediocre. most endearing character was the little kid alien... lol.

the movie was enjoyable but far from the best this year. Although its originality really makes it stand out.

jin choung
08-16-2009, 09:24 PM
i liked district 9. the office + schindler's list + mecha = district 9. and they left open the possibility of a sequel beautifully without it feeling forced. wickus is totally michael scott in the american "the office" and he should be in the american version of district 9 - right after they do schindler's list in color.

awesome special effects that look really real - primarily because they don't try to shoot things in a way that is obviously "unfilmable" in real life. lots of compositing effects elements in bokeh and into handheld shots make it look very verite.

but there are some things that did not make sense:

1. why didn't the aliens defend themselves with their weapons? (answer has to do with the "hive mind" concept of the aliens but this is in no way explicated in the movie... you only get it in interviews)

2. the alien ship was rendered inoperative over earth... nothing changed and yet they were able to take off for home again? (again, the only solution is to appeal to the hive mind concept... that when a "queen" went awol, the aliens just lost all ability to act intelligently... but again, this is not part of the movie. in interviews, blommy talks about how over 20 years, christopher johnson developed into a queen like leader for the hive but this is completely missing in the movie... in actuality, the KID ALIEN should really have been the next generation queen that ended up delivering her peeps.... actually, in that sense it's interesting to interpret human cultures as being "hive minded" as well... every so often a "queen" is born like moses or mlk jr. or someting that leads the drones)

3. why does their FUEL cause a genetic reaction?! this is a bit understandable when you consider that their weapons have a genetic component that renders them inoperative to humans... but should have been made more explicit.

4. wickus' change of heart was a bit abrupt. could have been set up and paid off better. also, the extermination of their eggs is portrayed more cavalierly than is understandable. wickus is supposed to be an office drone - not a nazi.

(speaking of office "drone", it would have been a perfect kind of parallel to setup between the alien hive mind dronery to human dronery... missed opportunity)

5. the aliens would NEVER have been segregated after a period of time of trying to integrate with society at large! they would NEVER have been integrated in the first place!

this is not due to any kind of xenophobia or evilness in human nature... it's PRACTICAL! exobiology could be inadvertently lethal to humans (and our ecosystem in general) and/or viceversa. who knows what kind of micro organisms they would harbor or what ours would do to them.

they would be not just segregated but QUARANTINED. and probably left on their ship. i mean why in the world would you relocate them on planet? in johannesburg?!

in order to make a certain sociological analogy, blommy takes a TREMENDOUS leap in plot that would be absolutely show stopping if it were not glossed over so quickly.

6. unrealistic that south africa would have a monopoly on the fate of the aliens. the impact that actual alien contact would have on the world at large is unimaginable... even to the blommy.... cuz it's just not in there.

jin

jin choung
08-16-2009, 09:28 PM
I have to say that the best movie this year is NOT district 9, its definitelly hurt locker.

i thought hl was good but it didn't strike me as great. the particular peccadillo of the main character is kinda cool in concept but completely unrecognizable for most of us. a surprisingly muscular movie for a chick nonetheless.

jin

radams
08-16-2009, 09:45 PM
Hi all,

I completely enjoyed the movie..
This is a perfect example of what an independent production should be.
It also blows holes in the studio back films...

The CG, FX's, Comps, and camera actions were great!

If this was shot on a red one...I would have hated to do the tracking...but man it was done very well...I'm asuming that WETA did the FXs and Comps.

Wow is all I can say...does anyone here know the budget?

They did such an amazing job!!!

Even if it isn't the best movie of the year...it is really a break out movie..and one that any aspiring artist, director, or FX person should look at...

Congrats to the whole production and team!

Cheers,

cresshead
08-17-2009, 12:00 AM
i've heard the budget for D9 was from $30,000,000 to $50,000,000, i;ve seen both numbers so could be either or a totally new number...seems they are promoting this as a low budget film but 30million is alot in my book considering sunshine was $10million
though there's a ton of tracking and character animation in D9.

jin choung
08-17-2009, 12:14 AM
yeah.. not LOW budget.

and also, gotta wonder what the publicity budget was... probably another 30mil on top of that.

so yeah, it's being sold as a "small" movie but it's a solid middle of the line movie. but there are a lot of minutes of cgi for that budget though.

jin

radams
08-17-2009, 12:55 AM
Hi All,

That is why I was asking :)
But even if this was done for 30 mil...and promotion was 30...that is still a far cry less than GI Joe...etc. or Harry Potter, etc...

And yet still has a general appeal..and marketable project.

What I hope this helps to show...is that you can create a good story, with decent characters...including CG ones...add into this a good FXs...with a thrifty director/producer...add in inventive camera angles etc...and make an independent movie...that can rival the 100+ movies...but at half or less the price tag.

This also opens up more options and creativity for indepedent stories...

Cheers,

Stooch
08-17-2009, 10:16 AM
i thought hl was good but it didn't strike me as great. the particular peccadillo of the main character is kinda cool in concept but completely unrecognizable for most of us. a surprisingly muscular movie for a chick nonetheless.

jin

never the less it was far better than d9.

never said that hurt locker was great. just the best movie of the summer. no great movies this summer yet.

Sekhar
08-17-2009, 11:23 AM
What I hope this helps to show...is that you can create a good story, with decent characters...including CG ones...add into this a good FXs...with a thrifty director/producer...add in inventive camera angles etc...and make an independent movie...that can rival the 100+ movies...but at half or less the price tag.

I don't know. About the only thing I liked in this movie was the CG, which was more real than anything I've seen before. But while the fake characters were real, the real ones were fake. I've never seen anyone make a decision to end someone's life as easily as the guys made at the operating table.

The story had tons of holes, was meandering/aimless, and honestly quite boring. Everyone seemed to care only about themselves, I just could not root or care for anyone (may be a tad for the "Christopher" guy). No real character arcs of any sort.

The whole emphasis seemed to be in making the thing look real, which obviously they succeeded at. But imagine watching traffic in NYC all day. That's boring. Now imagine watching traffic in the 25th century - very real looking/credible and all. Sure, it'll be cool the first 5 minutes may be: look at that car! Cool traffic lights! But it's going to get tiresome real quick. This movie's like that: a credible depiction of a largely boring activity.

The saddest part is: every once in a while a movie comes along that destroys all the fun/interest/wonder/admiration/whatever we have in something. Brokeback Mountain did that to cowboys; D9 does it to aliens.

jin choung
08-17-2009, 11:29 AM
The saddest part is: every once in a while a movie comes along that destroys all the fun/interest/wonder/admiration/whatever we have in something. Brokeback Mountain did that to cowboys; D9 does it to aliens.

just to ask the obvious - how did brokeback mountain ruin cowboys?

jin

Sekhar
08-17-2009, 11:55 AM
just to ask the obvious - how did brokeback mountain ruin cowboys?

Let me put it this way: I have a feeling this Marlboro ad isn't going to have the same impact it originally did. Not that there's anything wrong with that. :)

http://home.honolulu.hawaii.edu/~pine/Book2/marlboro.jpg

realgray
08-17-2009, 01:22 PM
I'm no tracking expert (although I've tracked many times) and I ask this out of curiosity. If CMOS sensors are such a nightmare to track because of the distortion created with the rolling shutter. Then why are their so many VFX heavy movies coming out on the RED? District 9, Knowing, Jumper, Gamer, and I think second unit for Wanted are all RED productions. It would seem to me that tracking hand held footage for the aliens would be a sort of stress test for how trackable RED footage could be. Any thoughts?
The thing that impressed me the most about District 9 was the careful attention to the interaction between live and cgi. I got a kick out of seeing the aliens walk over the rubbish and sheets of metal and to see the metal crunch under their feet. Also, when the aliens feet hit the sand it spread apart. I would assume that was done with a man in a green screen outfit and then removed so the CG creatures foot could fit into the plate (with a little roto for the toes), but if anyone knows better, would love to hear it.

realgray
08-17-2009, 01:27 PM
Image Engine, The Embassey, Zoic, and Weta did the vfx for District 9.

http://vfxworld.com/?atype=articles&id=4032

OnlineRender
08-19-2009, 09:15 AM
just got an email from VFS about this " Still not seen it " it was one of there student who created / directed it .
whens it out in the UK

A Mejias
08-19-2009, 10:05 PM
In what sense? CG or other? The CG was incredible, except in a few places; but the story/movie, I have a lot to complain about.

OY! You got that right. D9 was a let down. Though it was very well made, visuals do not make a film. It was derivative and predictable. The exposition took too long. They could have cut out about 20min and you would not have missed much. And what was up with the cat food? I think it would have been a better short film or 1.5 hour TV movie. The posibility of a sequel is too depressing to think about. The more I look back on it the more I dislike it. :(

Sekhar
08-19-2009, 11:07 PM
Well... fortunately those who disliked it are WELL in the minority. ;)

How did you come to that conclusion? Not contesting, just curious. IMO most of the first weekend (37M) was from positive reviews; the drop-off this weekend will tell the real story.

Sekhar
08-19-2009, 11:56 PM
Wow, you like the movie too much it looks like to take even a hint of a crit. What I meant was whether the drop-off would be more than normal. If you do the math, 50% drop-off each week means 2x first week's revenue. Lee (http://leesmovieinfo.com/) is predicting only 43% drop, which would be good.

Tom Wood
08-21-2009, 12:06 PM
Saw it yesterday and had to think about it. I walked out knowing I'd been through something, I just didn't know what. So far, I've recommended it to three people, so I guess I liked it. :D

I accepted all the plot holes people complain about because I've learned that suspension of disbelief is a prerequisite for a good time.

Spoiler:

The only part that pulled me out of the movie was when the main character went knocking on the doors of what are obviously dangerous and unpredictable creatures. Nobody would be able to turn off their own instinct for self-preservation like that.

There's an interview with the director floating around where he says that he wanted the aliens to have a lust for something odd. Cat food was a totally random choice.

GregMalick
08-22-2009, 01:24 PM
I liked it.
This review (http://honoluluweekly.com/film/current-film/2009/08/illegal-aliens/) pretty much sums up what I felt about it.

OnlineRender
08-24-2009, 02:04 AM
i wanna be a PRAWN ......

Matt
09-06-2009, 04:29 PM
Just got back from seeing District 9. I thought it was pretty damn cool! Loved the fact it was set in South Africa, gave it a more 'real' setting, maybe because we're just so used to these types of films being American based.

The story I thought held up pretty well, a few things left me wondering, but nothing that spoiled the film.

The CG was excellent, I loved the design of the weapons and the robot sequence was fantastic, the part when it uses the gravity gun to capture the bullets was one of my favourite bits in the film!

Favourite line "don't point your fking tentacles at me" - brilliant!

Also spotted a reference to one of Neil Blomkamp's earlier shorts - when Wikus and the Prawn are breaking into MNU, on the wall before they enter the lab is a sign saying "Tetra Vaal Security". I'm sure they may have been more, but that was the only one I spotted.

This is one film I'd love to see a sequel for.

calilifestyle
09-06-2009, 04:40 PM
Sht yeah Matt. i cant wait for those 3 years. I'm ready for the invasion. This movie was great. When he captures the missile, bunch of in the the theater where like fck yeah.

Dexter2999
09-15-2009, 01:36 PM
Actually I saw this a couple of weeks ago.

The South Africa setting is really commentary on the segregation of it's history in a Sci Fi setting.

I thought th effects were well done.

I think my favorite thing was that the movie is testament to what can be done when you aren't paying the "above the line" half the budget. This is what can happen with a good story (I didn't say great story) and when the money is spent where it is important. A movie that competed with movies that mor than three times what this one cost to make.

csandy
09-15-2009, 01:47 PM
Jin,

interestingly enough, I asked the exact same questions and have come up with some answers. I think the movie was great. My brother thought it was only so-so, but I'm a fan waiting for the sequel. My biggest criticism is the flash cut in character development. I think the little Vancouver house that did the heavy lifting for special effect deserve at the very least an Oscar nod. The CG was on point.

but there are some things that did not make sense:

1. why didn't the aliens defend themselves with their weapons? (answer has to do with the "hive mind" concept of the aliens but this is in no way explicated in the movie... you only get it in interviews)

Reasonable explanation here: in addition to the loss of leadership, the aliens were emaciated. Hard to fight when you can't function. Difficult to walk when you can't stand. The aliens were extremely malnurished and likely would not have been able to put up much of a fight, despite their advanced weaponry. After settlement, the alien population was 1.8 million. That doesn't even give a strategic count of combat ready forces. Take the military from any single developed county on the planet, and while is would be a bloody battle, the aliens would likely lose. It's kind of like the old "boy, I wish I could go back in time and take modern weapons with me and wipe out opposing armies" fantasy. Sure, you'll get a lot of people, but eventually a rock or a spear or sharpened stone will end you.

2. the alien ship was rendered inoperative over earth... nothing changed and yet they were able to take off for home again? (again, the only solution is to appeal to the hive mind concept... that when a "queen" went awol, the aliens just lost all ability to act intelligently... but again, this is not part of the movie. in interviews, blommy talks about how over 20 years, christopher johnson developed into a queen like leader for the hive but this is completely missing in the movie... in actuality, the KID ALIEN should really have been the next generation queen that ended up delivering her peeps.... actually, in that sense it's interesting to interpret human cultures as being "hive minded" as well... every so often a "queen" is born like moses or mlk jr. or someting that leads the drones)

I'm actually glad there wasn't much narrative wasted on why the ship stopped. It could have only added technobabble. More realistic is that this ship, that clearly has the interstellar travel capability (either that or Rover didn't search Mars hard enough), would be beyond the analytical ability of our scientists, and we'd have no idea how or why the ship stopped. Besides, how far would you want to travel without food? Seems it would be best to stop at the nearest planet with nourishment and hope for the best.

Given the 20-year cycle to generate enough fuel, makes sense they would stop here to fill up instead of trying to hop to the next "station" on "E" or risk being stranded in empty space.

3. why does their FUEL cause a genetic reaction?! this is a bit understandable when you consider that their weapons have a genetic component that renders them inoperative to humans... but should have been made more explicit.

You answered you own question here. If it was a novel, yeah, I could see having a long drawn-out explanation on why the fuel spawns some biological reaction. But why? I think it's actually a bit of mature story telling. Why does the "allspark" a la Transformers fame change a can of Mountain Dew into a sentient transforming little killer alien? Does tha really make sense? I like suspending disbelief for the black goop a lot better.

4. wickus' change of heart was a bit abrupt. could have been set up and paid off better. also, the extermination of their eggs is portrayed more cavalierly than is understandable. wickus is supposed to be an office drone - not a nazi.

(speaking of office "drone", it would have been a perfect kind of parallel to setup between the alien hive mind dronery to human dronery... missed opportunity)

I can't agree with you more here. I think this is the weakest part of the film, and you hit the nail on the head - the transformation was way too quick. I've heard the argument that the trauma of the alien recombination/near vivisection/loss of familly turned him into a darker more brooding character in a flash, but as you said does not explain the cavalier nature with which he handled the eggs. I also think there was some brilliant acting on the part of the lead - but it just didn't make sense half the time - almost like the middle of the movie was chopped out.

BUT, let's not have short memories. This of course is fiction, but how much more horrible is it that actual people threw other people off of slave ships in the middle passage? Or that scores were marched to gas chambers? Or than pregnant women were given radioactive doses in the name of national security? Or than scores were sterilized in Eugenics programs?

I think it's a mistake to view the movie as "a movie with interviews interspersed" then ignore the interviews as an integral part of the movie. The interviews and interstitials were essential to the plot and part of the overall cinema verite device.

It has happened time and again in human history where "aliens" were treated as less than human, and we're only talking about extra-national aliens. Imagine the lessening degrees of empathy for an extra-terrestrial?

Were the minority white South Africans any less cavalier when subjugating their black countrymen in the real District 6?

I think the cavalier nature of snuffing out the unborn aliens were nothing less than a sad commentary on human nature.

5. the aliens would NEVER have been segregated after a period of time of trying to integrate with society at large! they would NEVER have been integrated in the first place!

this is not due to any kind of xenophobia or evilness in human nature... it's PRACTICAL! exobiology could be inadvertently lethal to humans (and our ecosystem in general) and/or viceversa. who knows what kind of micro organisms they would harbor or what ours would do to them.

they would be not just segregated but QUARANTINED. and probably left on their ship. i mean why in the world would you relocate them on planet? in johannesburg?!

in order to make a certain sociological analogy, blommy takes a TREMENDOUS leap in plot that would be absolutely show stopping if it were not glossed over so quickly.

See my response to number 4. I agree with you more on the sociological front than on the epidimiological front. I just don't think people would tolerate the integration of extra-terestrials - no matter how clean there were, unless they were led by a guy named Jesus and they had wings.

6. unrealistic that south africa would have a monopoly on the fate of the aliens. the impact that actual alien contact would have on the world at large is unimaginable... even to the blommy.... cuz it's just not in there.

Why? I think it's a brilliant bit of story telling that doesn't have the same old passe "every alien lands in central park" theme. American's generally can't fathom that every significant world event wouldn't happen on their soil - even a fictitious one. To a civilization capable of interstellar travel, are we not all ants? When I look down at the sidewalk, I make little distinction between one ant and the next - they are all insignificant, relatively speaking. Sure, if there were enough of them they could sting or bite me to death, but generally one colony of ants will not get more respect than another.

archijam
09-15-2009, 02:03 PM
Fantastic film. A can of Feldschlossen (local beer) made all plot holes that little bit smaller.

I can't remember the last time I had a 'hell yeah' moment in a film theater .. it's been ages.

That one 'mech' scene made transformers look like shiny, motionblurred garbage (and I liked transformers) ...

BeeVee
09-16-2009, 02:06 PM
(it's very funny ;))

B

Andrewstopheles
09-16-2009, 03:32 PM
I loved it. Movie of the year. Added to my all time favorites list.
If you want another Hollywood Americana blockbuster there's already a gazillion of em on DVD, they're all the same. This is not one of those, so don't expect the same old same old.

tyrot
09-16-2009, 04:05 PM
dear stooch

I am 100 percent agree with you on this one... Nicholas is a very confused director. I never see a director NEEDS to explain the story before-or-after watching the movie. " Ahh yes...elders died...then... bla bla" Damn you man, if you that much cool why do you ANSWER this question? Why do i need to ask hey wait a minute WHAT is the story here ? Why those aliens looks like f**ked up in the head..

Moreover... IF the Director wanna explain story...WELL man let me give you an idea..for the next movie..

"how about putting yourself in one of your interviewing shots.."

Cut to interview...
"Those aliens...bla bla"
Cut to real action ...
Cut to Director
"Ahh yes..the aliens are ...f**ked up because i wanna make something totally different...even i KNOW there is hole in my head..doesnt matter.."
Cut to action
Cut to interviewer
Cut to Director
"Ahh yes aliens..are like bugs you know..came from the "sky" because queen is dead"
Cut to stooch
"I wanna kill myself"
Cut to interviewer
"Aliens are you know...weird"
Cut to Stooch
"If he cuts one more time to director i will really shoot myself"
Cut to Editor
"I really do not know why I m cutting this movie...really ...They forced me to do...It is not my fault"
Cut to Crying Hero
"Baby..I will call you after turning into Alien and send you roses from trash..I promise"
Cut to Helicopter pilot
"I feel like in Bay Movie.."
Cut to Matte Painter
"In this movie they also forced me to put that giant aircraft in EVERY BG panel...I mean come on...People UNDERSTOOD that there is a alien aircraft in the sky.."
Cut to Editor
"But Matte Painter..If i dont put that shot people can get more confused...You know I am confused, director confused, Pilot Confused, Hero confused, Even aliens are confused, nigerians confused...what if they ask the obvious"
Cut to director
"Well Aliens...are you know came from the sky...you know...that s why i wanted to show the "SKY". ..you know im COOL.. I love Handheld.."
Cut to Stooch
"........i can not bare anymore!!!!"
Cut to Peter Jackson
"Don't blame me if Alien's queen dead..No...No that is totally lie..No..Alien Queen is not an elf queen..There is no virus in elf world"
Cut to Mr.Rid
"Well we know in Elf world's bla bla happens if bla bla does bla bla with bla bla spell.."
Cut to SplineGod
"You can animate the aliens with IKBooster. It needs a bit work but fantastic result you can get.."
Cut to Director
"We used IKBooster for Dead Queen..You know.IKBooster is really good with dead poses..You didn't see it..but it was in the script..We didnt bother to show"
Cut to Stooch
"......IK B o o "
Cut to MatchMoving Artist
"I ..I ...I I ...I ......too much handheld"

to be continued...

BEST

shrox
09-17-2009, 10:36 PM
I just saw District 9. Fun movie, the near vivisection scene makes me not want to be taken alive though...

The alien metamorphosis I didn't care for. As always, real science gets tossed out the hatch. A genetic change that happens that fast would create a lot of heat as there would be so much molecular motion going on the human would probably die of heat stroke first.

I didn't like the alien ship design, it almost seemed like they were trying to save polys or something. The alien weapons looked like Space 1999 retreads. But I did like the alien mech.

Overall, I'd say the movie is worth a look.

archijam
09-18-2009, 01:55 AM
Oliver: But here, you have to ask for a FeldschlössLI of course ;) ..

csandy
09-18-2009, 05:10 AM
I didn't like the alien ship design, it almost seemed like they were trying to save polys or something. The alien weapons looked like Space 1999 retreads. But I did like the alien mech.

I thought the mother ship looked like a piece of junk as well. Interestingly enough, it one of the two elements of the movie that Oscar winner Weta Digital produced (the other element being the drop ship).

Looking at the 6 minute shor, "Alive in Joberg," I'm lead to believe the mothership was made to look like a piece of junk on purpose.

Regarding the weapons, I'd say more 1989 than 1999. They'd been on Earth 20 years so I can imagine a lot of their equipment should be designed to appear dated to us.

Burchigb
09-18-2009, 05:24 AM
Special Effects were top form. Plot ....

Matt
09-18-2009, 08:30 AM
The alien weapons looked like Space 1999 retreads.

I loved the weapon designs

shrox
09-18-2009, 08:35 AM
...Looking at the 6 minute short, "Alive in Joberg," I'm lead to believe the mothership was made to look like a piece of junk on purpose.

Regarding the weapons, I'd say more 1989 than 1999. They'd been on Earth 20 years so I can imagine a lot of their equipment should be designed to appear dated to us.

I can understand the "piece of junk" look, but the model just seemed pieced together to me, rather than designed by an artist.

The weapons literally looked like the took old props from Space 1999, especially with the white and orange colors. And the handles didn't fit the aliens hands really.

But the movie itself was good.

csandy
09-18-2009, 08:45 AM
I can understand the "piece of junk" look, but the model just seemed pieced together to me, rather than designed by an artist.

Not surprising, Weta is working on Avatar and didn't have time to do the CG on District 9. People on this forum can easily ascertain that truth - that it's unfinished work.

I can't remember the little company out of Vancouver's name, but they did a bang-up job on the rest of the CG throughout the movie, don't you think?

shrox
09-18-2009, 09:01 AM
Not surprising, Weta is working on Avatar and didn't have time to do the CG on District 9. People on this forum can easily ascertain that truth - that it's unfinished work.?

Oh, I see now, lots of stuff just seemed stuck on.

I can't remember the little company out of Vancouver's name, but they did a bang-up job on the rest of the CG throughout the movie, don't you think?

The aliens were done very well, I thought the child alien was very convincing as a child.

Mike_RB
09-18-2009, 09:04 AM
The ship was designed to look like that. Even in concept form. So you're incorrect.

And all the weapons were designed and built for d9.

shrox
09-18-2009, 09:08 AM
The ship was designed to look like that. Even in concept form. So you're incorrect.

And all the weapons were designed and built for d9.

I'm incorrect in my opinion that the design of the model just didn't work for me?

I only said the weapons "looked" like they were from Space 1999. Of course I know they were designed for the movie. Geez...

Mike_RB
09-18-2009, 09:24 AM
I'm incorrect in my opinion that the design of the model just didn't work for me?

I only said the weapons "looked" like they were from Space 1999. Of course I know they were designed for the movie. Geez...

nope but you are wrong if you think it was due to any other reason than the directors vision. His design is what ended up on screen.

shrox
09-18-2009, 09:29 AM
nope but you are wrong if you think it was due to any other reason than the directors vision. His design is what ended up on screen.

Where did the perception of "wrong" come from? And why does that have anything to do with my opinion of the aesthetics?

Mike_RB
09-18-2009, 09:40 AM
I'm posting in response to the unfinished work comment above

shrox
09-18-2009, 10:16 AM
I'm posting in response to the unfinished work comment above

Oh OK, got it. So Mike, what did you think of it? Good movie certianly, just playing "what I would have done" with it.

Andyjaggy
09-18-2009, 11:27 AM
I agree not my favorite 'concept' for a ship, but the execution was excellent. I guess if you hate it that much let's see your concept. :)

shrox
09-18-2009, 11:35 AM
I agree not my favorite 'concept' for a ship, but the execution was excellent. I guess if you hate it that much let's see your concept. :)

For some reason, I did not like this particular structure as seen in this grab. It seems out of scale or something, and the little rods sticking inward just seem tacked on.

Cageman
09-18-2009, 12:38 PM
For some reason, I did not like this particular structure as seen in this grab. It seems out of scale or something, and the little rods sticking inward just seem tacked on.

To me the background in that shot looks alot like an advanced conceptpainting. It doesn't look like a finished mattepainting at all. It certanly doesn't look "real" to me.

shrox
09-18-2009, 12:51 PM
To me the background in that shot looks alot like an advanced conceptpainting. It doesn't look like a finished mattepainting at all. It certanly doesn't look "real" to me.

It's a screen grab from the trailer, and the shot was in the movie too, or a very similar shot.

Cageman
09-18-2009, 01:12 PM
It's a screen grab from the trailer, and the shot was in the movie too, or a very similar shot.

I've seen the movie, but can't remember if that shot was in it or not and I certanly can not remember if this shot looked better in the final movie. :)

With that said though, the exact same shot in 1080p (apple trailers) has the same feeling of "painted" all over the place, so it is certanly not a quality issue regarding Youtube.

cresshead
09-18-2009, 01:43 PM
district 9 is "okay'..looks abit 80's Robocop to me..nothing new really...but nice to see the hollywood actors were nowhere near this..a tom cruise lead role would be just stupid.

shrox
09-18-2009, 01:49 PM
district 9 is "okay'..looks abit 80's Robocop to me..nothing new really...but nice to see the hollywood actors were nowhere near this..a tom cruise lead role would be just stupid.

Agreed, the casting was excellent. I only recognised one actor, the jerk leader of the team dispatched to get the "half breed".

shrox
09-18-2009, 01:53 PM
I've seen the movie, but can't remember if that shot was in it or not and I certanly can not remember if this shot looked better in the final movie. :)

With that said though, the exact same shot in 1080p (apple trailers) has the same feeling of "painted" all over the place, so it is certanly not a quality issue regarding Youtube.

For me it was just the lack of convincing detail on the ship. That spot especially. I did like the dropship though.

One thing, were the white helicopters real? I didn't recognize the design.

JeffrySG
09-18-2009, 04:37 PM
Just saw it today. Really enjoyed the film. Best I've seen in a while.

Intuition
09-18-2009, 06:11 PM

Well those little rods are like whale baleen, they filter in tiny space krill which the prawns can eat when on an intergalactic cruise.

cresshead
09-18-2009, 06:32 PM
Well those little rods are like whale baleen, they filter in tiny space krill which the prawns can eat when on an intergalactic cruise.

looks like you've been working on the extendeed feature portions of the DVD version...backstory and prop designs

:cat:

BeeVee
09-21-2009, 12:16 PM
I saw it last night and thought it excellent. The first half is a little slow, building up backstory, etc. but once Wikus starts changing it gets frantic indeed.

B

zardoz
10-16-2009, 11:10 AM
Mike_RB: I have this friend that has been trying to make change from lw to xsi and recently he told me that the embassy is changing their pipeline to modo and xsi, can you shed some light on this?

tx

Mike_RB
10-16-2009, 11:37 AM
we haven't used LW since Iron Man. It's been modo>xsi>MR for 2 years now?

Titus
10-17-2009, 12:06 AM
I saw it last night and thought it excellent. The first half is a little slow, building up backstory, etc. but once Wikus starts changing it gets frantic indeed.

B

What he said :D. Since English is not my first language I'm not sure on how natural they sound, but for me the acting was engaging, you end liking this guy Wikus van der wathever.

zardoz
10-17-2009, 01:43 AM
ok Mike tx for answering.

Mike_RB
10-17-2009, 07:15 AM
ok Mike tx for answering.

No problem.

archijam
10-17-2009, 02:10 PM
Mike: Just to wind this OT up -

Saw IRONMAN in cinemas, but just this week finally got the DVD, and at the extras.

Really liked how well your spot was shown, and talked about. ILM is .. ILM, but the other guys? OK, the heads up display looked great, but how long can you bang on about it, and yourselves?

Keep it up guys :thumbsup:

Mike_RB
10-17-2009, 02:15 PM
Mike: Just to wind this OT up -

Saw IRONMAN in cinemas, but just this week finally got the DVD, and at the extras.

Really liked how well your spot was shown, and talked about. ILM is .. ILM, but the other guys? OK, the heads up display looked great, but how long can you bang on about it, and yourselves?

Keep it up guys :thumbsup:

Yeah, the Orphanage's section for Iron Man's "making of" was a little weird, the rumor was that production was less than satisfied with their "timely" deliveries and reduced their presence on the making of stuff accordingly... not sure if that's true.. The only guys they focus on is the dude from PLF that went there to keep working on the HUD.

Glad you liked our piece. The workflow of going from XSI to LW was not a happy place.... However, the renders you see in the final are mostly a killer beauty pass with a couple addons and a matte pass for color correcting selectively. It looked pretty right out of the render.

Eagle66
11-14-2009, 09:35 AM
a very detailed 'making of' VFX from DISTRICT 9 on fxguidetv #071 is online

http://media.fxguide.com/fxguidetv/fxguidetv-ep071.mov (Quicktime)

Maya and Nuke 3D seems are very cool and fast workflow :)

manasa
11-24-2009, 01:53 AM
about Article fxguidetv # 071,
anyone knows how to make a point position pass to relighting in Nuke...

a lightwave pass...

thanks

archijam
11-24-2009, 02:01 AM
a very detailed 'making of' VFX from DISTRICT 9 on fxguidetv #071 is online

http://media.fxguide.com/fxguidetv/fxguidetv-ep071.mov (Quicktime)

Maya and Nuke 3D seems are very cool and fast workflow :)

Nice find! Great interview.