PDA

View Full Version : retopologize for LW - 3d-Coat or ZBrush?

3dWannabe
08-13-2009, 10:09 PM
I saw discussion on bringing complex models from Poser and other sources into LW where 3D-Coat was mentioned as a very good solution.

I notice that ZBrush also has retopologize capabilities.

Which makes it easier to do this?

If you had to choose one and price were not a consideration, which would you choose (keeping in mind the other features that would be useful when working with LW)?

Silkrooster
08-13-2009, 10:46 PM
To be honest (and that is with my limited knowledge) I would say that 3d-coat is the best for that at the moment. But Zbrush 3.5 and 4 will be coming out soon. The best part of Zbrush is once you buy in so far you don't have to pay for any upgrades. But how long that lasts, who knows.

SplineGod
08-14-2009, 03:24 AM
Then again I bought 3dcoat originally for 75 bucks and have only very recently had to pay a modest upgrade. :)
Sensei has a LW plugin thats 50 bucks that allows you to retopo meshes in LW.

borkus
08-15-2009, 09:42 AM
The Zbrush option wasn't very helpful to me. It is there, and some say they like it. But, I found it to be a lot of work and not very intuitive.

3dWannabe
08-15-2009, 10:23 AM
I spoke to zBrush pre-sales, and they said:

draw major poly loops on model with poly paint, then go into retopologize.

Might take a few hours for a detailed model.

Do you still have to do a lot of work by hand in 3d-Coat?

BTW - I could not believe zBrush's copy protection. Currently will NOT work with a RAID, and newer version coming out won't work with swapping out internal drives on MacPro (not the boot drive) - which I often swap out to a safety deposit box (without de-activating, and re-activating). What a bloody pain!

How is 3d-Coats protection, is it workable? Why can't they just be like Apple where FCS3 ($1000) has just a serial number? I dislike being treated like a criminal.

Sarford
08-18-2009, 07:22 AM
If its just for retopology and some basic sculpting you might wanna take a look at Silo, it has both and is (in my opinion) the sleekest modeler around.
And it just has a serial number for protection, no online activation skemes. You are alowed to install it on 5 computers and it runs on Mac and PC.

http://www.nevercenter.com

It has some minor bugs (which software hasn't) but no real showstoppers and there is rumour that there might be a bugfix in the works after all.

Rayek
08-18-2009, 12:30 PM
If you do not want to spend any money, you could try Blender's retopology tools...

http://www.cgcookie.com/articles/2008/11/29/retopology-tools-with-blender

3dWannabe
08-18-2009, 12:44 PM
Rayek - Price is really not that much of a consideration.

I'm really just after the best solution. I'd like to learn just one program, if I can get away with it. I own so many different pieces of software, and only have so much time.

I was thinking that zBrush could be used to actually create things, whereas 3d-Coat seems to excel in what I'd need it for at the moment.

But, as I get more into graphics, the rabbit hole just gets deeper, and I find I need more tools for things I didn't really know existed (I'm still trying to get my head around 'retopologize' even after watching a few videos on it from zBrush and 3d-Coat).

I'm just not sure how many different interfaces I can become even slightly proficient in, there has to be a limit?

Rayek
08-18-2009, 03:11 PM
True, the more you delve in 3d modeling/animation, the more software 'gems' are to be discovered. I started creating simple models/animations of space ships in Sculpt 3d (Amiga, long LONG time ago) and now use a veritable library of tools to get the job done. At the moment I use Lightwave, Cinema4d 8.5 and Blender. And at times Hexagon. Not to mention 3d Coat; I am getting into that myself at the moment.

I really like 3d coat - just make sure you have a CUDA supported video card and a fast 64 bit system: on my OC'd 3.6ghz I7 920 and gtx 280 the voxel sculpting mode flies; it's loads of fun and almost too easy to work in. Being a Wacom user, I have to say 3d Coat adds some brilliant small interface touches - such as rotating the view when you click in an empty spot in the view and easy brush control.

I tried getting to grips with zbrush for a while, but personally found it extremely 'irksome', to say the very least. 3d Coat was a breath of fresh air in that regard, with me up and running in an hour. The one thing I feel is missing in 3d Coat is diffusion channel support. That's the main reason why I still use BodyPaint for texture painting - more material channel control.

3dWannabe
08-18-2009, 03:17 PM
Rayek - hmmm. Unfortunately with 3D-Coat, you can't have both Mac & PC licensing.

I'll be running on an 8 Core Mac Pro with an ATI Radeon 3870 HD.

If I can ever get boot camp working, I guess I'll have to decide which platform to go with, OS X or PC?

The positive support on 3D-Coat is moving me in that direction.

Rayek
08-18-2009, 04:50 PM
Your mac is more than enough for 3d coat. CUDA is not required; I may have overstated its importance (it does really speed up sculpting, though!).

Yes, support is amazing.