PDA

View Full Version : OT - Les Paul dies at 94

biliousfrog
08-13-2009, 02:59 PM
Les Paul, whose pioneering electric guitars were used by a legion of rock stars, has died at the age of 94.

Mr Paul died from complications of pneumonia in New York, according to Gibson, the firm that sold his guitars.

He is credited with developing one of the first solid-body electric guitars, which went on sale in 1952 and contributed to the birth of rock.

He also developed other influential recording innovations such as multi-track recording and overdubbing.

And he was credited with inventing the eight-track tape recorder.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/8200385.stm

biliousfrog
08-13-2009, 03:01 PM
Damn, why can't I edit the title? It sounds like a midget Les Paul impersonator

shrox
08-13-2009, 03:59 PM
Damn, why can't I edit the title? It sounds like a midget Les Paul impersonator

After you click edit, click "Go Advanced" in the lower right corner

cresshead
08-13-2009, 05:02 PM
wii paul??? :hammer:

jaxtone
08-14-2009, 01:56 AM
Is Small Paul bigger than Less Paul?

Sorry, I just couldnīt stop this from coming, but from one guitarist to another I know that Lester is hanging out with all the other cats in guitar heaven at the moment, and I bet heīs laughing to...

So please Mr Joe Pass, Django Reinhardt, Barney Kessel and all you guys up there, welcome the latest star upon that jazzy old sky.

R.I.P. Les

colkai
08-14-2009, 02:57 AM
Sad day. :(
I shall raise a glass to his memory tonight.

Tzan
08-14-2009, 08:48 AM
I dont go out to see bands at all.
But back around 1988 I went to see him at a small club in the Boston area. There was maybe 100 people.

Awesome!

CoryC
08-14-2009, 02:18 PM
Coincidentally, I was driving on Les Paul Highway in Waukesha, WI (his home town) when they announced it on the radio.

biliousfrog
08-15-2009, 03:07 AM
Coincidentally, I was driving on Les Paul Highway in Waukesha, WI (his home town) when they announced it on the radio.

spooky.

The morning after hearing about Michael Jackson's death I got in my car, started the engine and the stereo, which was set to randomly select songs from my MP3 library, started up with Alien Ant Farm's version of Smooth Criminal...the only MJ song I've ever owned and mixed with 8gb's of other songs.