PDA

View Full Version : Intermediate Codec

Perch
08-13-2009, 02:25 PM
Hi! I'm trying to find a good intermediate codec to go out from VT4.6 that I can use in Adobe Media Encoder to send out different file types to clients, stations, and internally. I have about 4 different file types that may need be made from one VT project.

Of course, rtv files won't work. The DV files become to compressed after the second compression is added on, the Uncompressed BGR24 works well, but it looks like it converts to square pixels on render - which then AME softens and puts black at the top and bottom of files for stations that need to be non-square pixels.

So, is there a good intermediate codec that anyone has found that will work well? I had the AVID Meridien codec on and that rendered to a QT nicely, but when converting the file in AME it looked to have some weird 32 bit information still attached, even though the video had no alpha.
Any ideas?
Thanks! TC
:help:

Jim_C
08-13-2009, 02:53 PM
If you install the Newtek Codec pack, you could then render an NT25 file from VT4 and AME should be able to use it. It's a compressed file but MUCH better than DV and might do what you want quality wise.

Odd tho I've used BGR24 for several things also and have never had an aspect problem....

Perch
08-13-2009, 03:18 PM
Thanks Jim! I'll give that a shot.

Odd tho I've used BGR24 for several things also and have never had an aspect problem....

Yeah, the problem comes in when AME is set to render non-square pixels. I'm assuming that most stations want non-square (standard) rather than square pixels, otherwise their system will probably just end up rendering it to non-square when they place it in their playback systems. It's possible that I may just be overly critical about the whole thing though.
TC

ScorpioProd
08-13-2009, 03:22 PM
Also, if you have EDIUS, the Canopus HQ codec works well with VT.

Perch
08-13-2009, 03:39 PM
No Edius. I tried the NT25. Looks good! But when rendering it in AME, say for example an MPEG-2 with non-square pixels, it does the same thing. Looks great when rendered out as square pixels (same as BGR24), except the video/audio are out of sync :(
I may just have to deal with the DV Type II compression, or just send stations square pixels until I can figure something else out. Second option will probably be ruled out, since I don't know what will happen when stations recompress to a small mpeg-2 for their systems.

Jim_C
08-13-2009, 06:27 PM
No Edius. I tried the NT25. Looks good! But when rendering it in AME, say for example an MPEG-2 with non-square pixels, it does the same thing. Looks great when rendered out as square pixels (same as BGR24), except the video/audio are out of sync :(
I may just have to deal with the DV Type II compression, or just send stations square pixels until I can figure something else out. Second option will probably be ruled out, since I don't know what will happen when stations recompress to a small mpeg-2 for their systems.

I think I'm confused... you are converting the file from non-square to square in AME and this process junks it up? If so, what resolution are you converting to when you go square?

Perch
08-14-2009, 08:35 AM
No. I am trying to keep non-square (standard) pixels. But, when AME renders out one of the previously mentioned codecs (BGR24, NT25, MJPEG)to a non-square pixel file, it junks up. When I make AME convert to a square pixel file, it looks fine. But square pixels are not what is needed. Hope that is un-confusing. I don't want to be square... :hey:

I think I'm confused... you are converting the file from non-square to square in AME and this process junks it up? If so, what resolution are you converting to when you go square?

Jim_C
08-14-2009, 09:01 AM
No. I am trying to keep non-square (standard) pixels. But, when AME renders out one of the previously mentioned codecs (BGR24, NT25, MJPEG)to a non-square pixel file, it junks up. When I make AME convert to a square pixel file, it looks fine. But square pixels are not what is needed. Hope that is un-confusing. I don't want to be square... :hey:

Ahhh gotcha... weird..

Do you have any other encoders to work with? Shame all those nice looking codecs its the software that's causing you to jump thru these hoops.

Also thinking out loud... After conversion but keeping the non-square, are you viewing them on a display with non-square pixels? I mean could it be that you are viewing a non-square pixel file on a square pixel LCD display and that causes the junk, but if viewed on a non-square NTSC monitor it looks fine?

Wild guess really....

Perch
08-14-2009, 02:22 PM
Well, really, I'm guessing myself that the square/non-square pixels is the reason. The files themselves end up with some black top and bottom after AME renders to non-square, when it renders to square then it is fine. The black does show up on the LCD comp screen in WMP, and on an NTSC CRT monitor through VT.

Funny thing, the DV codec really has no issues at all, other than it is highly compressed, then I change the compression for mp2, QT, and wmv - which adds to the compression, but no weird problems with that codec.

I was just hoping there was someone else that had dealt with this before and had some options. Guess not. :stumped:
TC

Ahhh gotcha... weird..

Do you have any other encoders to work with? Shame all those nice looking codecs its the software that's causing you to jump thru these hoops.

Also thinking out loud... After conversion but keeping the non-square, are you viewing them on a display with non-square pixels? I mean could it be that you are viewing a non-square pixel file on a square pixel LCD display and that causes the junk, but if viewed on a non-square NTSC monitor it looks fine?

Wild guess really....