PDA

View Full Version : Thinking about changing my name to John Connor...

shrox
08-13-2009, 02:17 PM
My boss sent me this. Once again, we are doomed by our own hand...

http://www.pddnet.com/column-robots-trained-to-fire-on-people-081209/

http://www.pddnet.com/video-future-of-combat-military-weapons-081309/

Like I have said before, it's not science fiction, it's science prophesy...and right now people are yelling and fighting about a health care bill, while real danger races on full steam ahead. Lucky I have a design for a simple, CO2 powered EMP generator.

calilifestyle
08-13-2009, 02:24 PM
Ilove how the headline says " robot trained to fire on people" I swear is not called training . isn't programed to shoot people. i guess .

shrox
08-13-2009, 02:51 PM
Ilove how the headline says " robot trained to fire on people" I swear is not called training . isn't programed to shoot people. i guess .

Like a robot has aversions or something. If it's not programmed in, it's not there. The moose-like robot that can't be kicked over is a pretty scary development I think.

Matt
08-13-2009, 06:30 PM
Not in our lifetime.

All these machines are still under our control. _Real_ A.I. would have to enter the fray before machines actually try and wipe us all out, otherwise it's still just dumb humans wiping each other out using robots as weapons.

cresshead
08-13-2009, 06:35 PM
if you change your name, they will hunt you down....

shrox
08-13-2009, 06:43 PM
if you change your name, they will hunt you down....

Yes, but in the movies I get my own Arnie to boss around, then I get a cute girl, after that I get to lead a war against the machines. Oh, but wait, in the end I get tricked and killed by my former Arnie buddy...darn!

Mike_RB
08-13-2009, 06:47 PM
meh, big deal. Mines, carpet bombing, atomic weapons, chemical weapons, guided missiles, camouflaged pit with sharp sticks, suicide bombers...

We been 'programming' technology to kill eachother for a long time. There's really no ethical difference to doing it in a lab and uploading the program to a flying/driving/walking? machine and letting them loose, or digging a hole and putting in sharp sticks smeared with excrement and then covering it up.

The difference will happen if we get to a much more advanced AI where we're essentially sending out thinking beings with a predisposition for enemy killing.... but is that any different than programming 16 year olds with visions of virgins and allah then strapping bombs/airplanes to them and sending them out? Still programming....

shrox
08-13-2009, 07:03 PM
meh, big deal. Mines, carpet bombing, atomic weapons, chemical weapons, guided missiles, camouflaged pit with sharp sticks, suicide bombers...

We been 'programming' technology to kill eachother for a long time. There's really no ethical difference to doing it in a lab and uploading the program to a flying/driving/walking? machine and letting them loose, or digging a hole and putting in sharp sticks smeared with excrement and then covering it up.

The difference will happen if we get to a much more advanced AI where we're essentially sending out thinking beings with a predisposition for enemy killing.... but is that any different than programming 16 year olds with visions of virgins and allah then strapping bombs/airplanes to them and sending them out? Still programming....

One thing about robots, droids, etc. I and many people would have no problem "killing" one send to out to enforce martial law, fight against us in war, etc.; but a living, breathing cop or soldier, that I and most would have a great difficulty with "dispatching" him or her. Using robots as cops and soldiers might backfire for the powers that be, since there is no moral taboo against smashing the machine.

cresshead
08-13-2009, 07:09 PM
the thing that will wipe out most of the population won't be a bomb or robot..
it'll be a virus or germ

..just finished watching the 70's bbc 'survivors' btw written by terry nation!

Mike_RB
08-13-2009, 07:09 PM
One thing about robots, droids, etc. I and many people would have no problem "killing" one send to out to enforce martial law, fight against us in war, etc.; but a living, breathing cop or soldier, that I and most would have a great difficulty with "dispatching" him or her. Using robots as cops and soldiers might backfire for the powers that be, since there is no moral taboo against smashing the machine.

What about photo-radar cameras? Red light Cameras? Magnetic Sensors at the Airport? The RFID chip in your passport? Your phone having a GSP tracker in it. Your ISP automatically collecting and sending your downloading habits to the government...

These machines wont look like walking metal skeletons. And they will come hand in hand with great benefits, every step from A to Z will be small, incremental, and beneficial. Polish up your luddite hat if you want out, I hear the Amish are accepting new members. :)

jameswillmott
08-13-2009, 07:12 PM
http://inapcache.boston.com/universal/site_graphics/blogs/bigpicture/robot_08_12/r30_18598577.jpg

Neat, fully automatic, mobile democracy!!!

(This would make a fine LW model btw!)

shrox
08-13-2009, 07:21 PM
What about photo-radar cameras? Red light Cameras? Magnetic Sensors at the Airport? The RFID chip in your passport? Your phone having a GSP tracker in it. Your ISP automatically collecting and sending your downloading habits to the government...

These machines wont look like walking metal skeletons. And they will come hand in hand with great benefits, every step from A to Z will be small, incremental, and beneficial. Polish up your luddite hat if you want out, I hear the Amish are accepting new members. :)

I do not like photo radar cameras, red light cameras I do like (you're supposed to stop at the red light, not run it).

I wonder why are we spending more money and resources to perfect something we are already pretty good at. And I don't worry about sentient robots coming after me, what might be a concern is a malfunction, or someone hacking in and creating havoc with a remotely controlled gun.

Tracking where someone goes has been done since before the Roman Empire, that is not new. A machine that is programmed to detect and kill people, that is new.

I have a robot in my house, it's just a vacuum cleaner, and it is a marvel. Unfortunately that same company is developing and building robotic guns for the military...

Amish? But I am already Quaker...maybe I'll just throw my sabots at the machines, that sure worked for stopping trains and jamming looms, thus "sabotage".

Mike_RB
08-13-2009, 07:52 PM
I do not like photo radar cameras, red light cameras I do like (you're supposed to stop at the red light, not run it).

You're not supposed to speed either. 5-6 miles an hour over makes for 25-33% more force on impact. It's no joke. Braking times, reactions times are also all effected.

shrox
08-13-2009, 08:16 PM
You're not supposed to speed either. 5-6 miles an hour over makes for 25-33% more force on impact. It's no joke. Braking times, reactions times are also all effected.

True, no argument there, I still don't like them though. But in places like Arizona between Phoenix and Flagstaff, they are literally standing out in the middle of nowhere on a straight line highway. I saw them just last week. Nothing more than an income source for the state. Of course I pay attention so I see them before I get to it, so I most likely pay attention the rest of the time too. In England, you don't just walk in on your 16th birthday and leave with a licence to "drive", here in the US most just herd the car around, having no idea or skills in evasive maneuvers, like actually steering around an unexpected obstacle rather than just slamming on the brakes, or even the right time to brake around a curve. I was impressed with the drivers in Cornwall, most are polite and know how to use a round about!

Those angry robotic rugby/football players were scary though. They must have been robots, no pads or pain that I could see...

borkus
08-13-2009, 08:32 PM
I think what shrox mentioned about the system being overtaken is what scares me about it. As Matt said, the a.i. that would be needed to make a "terminator" is very likely out of our lifetime. But, then again, how would we know that for sure? They do crazy things that we find out about decades later. We're still finding out about things from World War II now...

Silkrooster
08-13-2009, 10:38 PM
I don't think this is as far as you guys may think. I saw a news video a few days to a week ago(don't remember when) of a computer hooked up to a person and that person was able to move the cursor by thinking about where it should go.
That being said it would be easy to fool the news reporter. I don't recall what channel it was on either, probably PBS.
All I know is they will never use my brain as a guinea pig cause i can't remember anything. lol.

shrox
08-13-2009, 10:53 PM
I don't think this is as far as you guys may think. I saw a news video a few days to a week ago(don't remember when) of a computer hooked up to a person and that person was able to move the cursor by thinking about where it should go.
That being said it would be easy to fool the news reporter. I don't recall what channel it was on either, probably PBS.
All I know is they will never use my brain as a guinea pig cause i can't remember anything. lol.

That technology has been out for several years now, I even tried it at an expo. It takes some people only a few minutes to get it work, I think I took 3 minutes or something. At first the cursor jumps around wildly, then you figure it out, several people I saw got it to run quickly as well. It was set up through a construction helmet, inside were four sensors I think. It was pretty intuitive and easy to make it work. This one was actually a little white box on a black screen, not a Windows cursor.

Silkrooster
08-13-2009, 11:37 PM
Right the video showed a simple screen not an OS. I wouldn't be surprised if someone didn't donate a brain for this purpose. If they can keep it alive and active it could end up being a robot with intelligence. As far as growing brain tissue for AI, I think thats a whole other ball game.

DiedonD
08-14-2009, 01:22 AM
Just go right ahead! :thumbsup:

probiner
08-14-2009, 03:24 AM
So everyone agrees?

Human Race will end in a horrible way?

Wether by H5N1, A.I. Machines, Climate disorders, War, Starvation, oh well and why not? The so called Apocalypse. I thinks meteores fit in Apocalyse...

Do i hear "Everyone instantaneous dies while asleep"? Hmm... no...

Ok, case closed, expect the worse.

DiedonD
08-14-2009, 04:05 AM
No mate, i think we will have it difficult should we undergo such processes, but humanity is a great success story, and will prevail.

I was just pointing out to Shrox to go right ahead and change his name thats all ;) :D

hrgiger
08-14-2009, 04:33 AM
I would bet we'll see this kind of technology by 2025 or sooner - IMO.

That would take a quantum leap in technology which I don't see happening by 2025. They told us in the 80's that we'd all be in flying cars by the year 2000 too.
I welcome AI and robotic technology myself. Even if it means our ultimate destruction. Jeez, do you want to live forever or something? As long as it means hot fem bots, I'm in.

archijam
08-14-2009, 05:14 AM
This already exists:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v5YftEAbmMQ

Scary stuff, especially with the uplifting music.

THANKS SAMSUNG!

Matt
08-14-2009, 05:41 AM

Very true, they did that in Robocop! :D

akademus
08-14-2009, 05:44 AM
Samsung Techwin is specialized branch that produces military equipment as well as security systems, such as dome cameras and stuff.

I had a chance of taking in depth look inside such high speed cam which rotates and zooms around all axes at incredible speed and accuracy. These guys are making some mighty stuff.

I haven't seen any military stuff, but those devices work under heavy workload all day long without breaking for years and years.

Scary but true!

archijam
08-14-2009, 05:55 AM
Ak: We can only hope that they run out of bullets.

Remember 'Aliens'?

Nangleator
08-14-2009, 07:19 AM
I do not like photo radar cameras,
Me, neither. They seem unconstitutional to me.

It's sort of like a presumption of innocence/unwarranted search and seizure thing. Technology will eventually allow us to be monitored 24/7, and with a zero tolerance policy, every last person in the world will have to enter jail at some point in their lives, and likely never leave it.

So, my point is, yes you can catch lots of people doing the wrong thing, but you shouldn't assume they're going to do the wrong thing, and monitor them to prove their innocence. We'd catch all crime, if we all had a police officer following 2 steps behind us all our lives, but that would impinge a little on our privacy.

As for speeding being more dangerous, it's all a matter of what we as a society will accept. Car deaths are in the tens of thousands per year, but we accept it. It's not like 45 mph in a 40 zone is intrinsically bad, and 40 there is intrinsically good. Having and using cars simply has a risk and we accept it.

The same society freaks out when a couple aircraft collide and kill 8 people, and we talk about shutting down the VFR corridor or making private flying illegal, and while the investigation of the aircraft accident goes on, eighty thousand people will die in cars and we'll all just shrug.

akademus
08-14-2009, 07:23 AM
Ak: We can only hope that they run out of bullets.

Remember 'Aliens'?

Seems like :D

meshpig
08-14-2009, 07:50 AM
I welcome AI and robotic technology myself. Even if it means our ultimate destruction. Jeez, do you want to live forever or something?

Ha, beware scientific propaganda. AI means your Chess program will thrash you pretty much most of the time if you set it to think longer and harder.

The end of the world is nigh!!!!:D

meshpig
08-14-2009, 08:01 AM
Samsung Techwin is specialized branch that produces military equipment as well as security systems, such as dome cameras and stuff.

I had a chance of taking in depth look inside such high speed cam which rotates and zooms around all axes at incredible speed and accuracy. These guys are making some mighty stuff.

I haven't seen any military stuff, but those devices work under heavy workload all day long without breaking for years and years.

Scary but true!

Just like 800 ASA film was out of bounds in the 70's. Nothing new as they say.

Mike_RB
08-14-2009, 08:04 AM
As for speeding being more dangerous, it's all a matter of what we as a society will accept. Car deaths are in the tens of thousands per year, but we accept it. It's not like 45 mph in a 40 zone is intrinsically bad, and 40 there is intrinsically good. Having and using cars simply has a risk and we accept it.

A head-on with both parties going 5 over can be enough for to make the difference between a crash and a fatal crash. Especially vs things like motorcycles. They designate certain streets certain speeds for a reason.

akademus
08-14-2009, 08:09 AM
Just like 800 ASA film was out of bounds in the 70's. Nothing new as they say.

I guess it was a matter of time when someone figure they should put a gun rack on top of video surveillance camera! :D

meshpig
08-14-2009, 08:24 AM
I guess it was a matter of time when someone figure they should put a gun rack on top of video surveillance camera! :D

Yes, there's footage of the trenches in 1917 so it isn't such a great leap to stick a camera on the line of fire.

borkus
08-14-2009, 10:02 AM
The unfortunate thing about technology moving in this direction is that if we don't continue to develop it, others will and they will have that edge on us. There is a lot of area to discuss in the area of ethics in that. One topic that comes to mind from just a while back was the research into stem cells. We took a strong stand against it in the U.S., which I believe was the right thing to do in that I don't agree with. But, other countries have decided to continue on. Reaching even further back would be the decision to make the nuclear bomb. While staying away from exploring this, as it usually turns nasty in debate over ethics and the point of view that a military person would look at it, it can be simply summed up that in that given situation had we not developed and used it, someone else would have a used it against us. This momentum has been going on for decades and likely will not stop anytime soon. It has been the business of the military to create things that will kill quicker and more efficiently for the better part of 100 years... That is the business of war. To win. I just hope someone can come along and provide a "true" alternative in the ways we practice our policies of today. Otherwse, we will be, someday, watching the news and see a report of an unmanned craft of some sort breaching American territory and incurring casualties to us without having to lose a single person of their army, who ever that would be. That, scarily, would be the most efficient way to go about winning a war...

jasonwestmas
08-14-2009, 10:12 AM
So everyone agrees?

Human Race will end in a horrible way?

Wether by H5N1, A.I. Machines, Climate disorders, War, Starvation, oh well and why not? The so called Apocalypse. I thinks meteores fit in Apocalyse...

Do i hear "Everyone instantaneous dies while asleep"? Hmm... no...

Ok, case closed, expect the worse.

Now don't go saying things like that, your dark on dark thinking will make me argumentative. ;)

probiner
08-14-2009, 01:22 PM
One topic that comes to mind from just a while back was the research into stem cells. We took a strong stand against it in the U.S., which I believe was the right thing to do in that I don't agree with. But, other countries have decided to continue on.
Don't worry. When and if the technology is ready in those countries it will spread it will go worldwide. Cause if it makes a difference the moral values might just fall. Its when our children and grand children ask themselves... "whats wrong about it to begin with?" like we do today to other stuff.
Altough we know, we know... theres a lot of hipocracy. But if our parents had it, we have it too =/

Now don't go saying things like that, your dark on dark thinking will make me argumentative. ;)
Actually, im simply not confortable with the topic :P Its freaking scary and doesn't look that far or even impossible. Not A.I. techonoly rulling the world, no, but technology to enslave masses.

This already exists:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v5YftEAbmMQ
Scary stuff, especially with the uplifting music.
THANKS SAMSUNG!
It's a border surveilence weapon. I bet Israel might call it sweeeeettt stuff to put along the wall. (It does remind me a lot of Aliens. 3 things i would watch A2 over and over: the APC Tank and Dropship, the Turrets and.. the line:"Game over man, game over")

Oh well... why not?
Bottom line is, its a shame techonlogy many times is thaught to constrain people, to subdue in a mere extension of humanity darkest side, sometimes only by a matter of looking differently to it. ("Great, nowdays we have this bricks build houses... But wait... They look quite effective to crack that guys head that i fear..." *Throw*)

Cheers

shrox
08-14-2009, 01:43 PM
...There is a lot of area to discuss in the area of ethics in that. One topic that comes to mind from just a while back was the research into stem cells. We took a strong stand against it in the U.S., which I believe was the right thing to do in that I don't agree with...

Well, I believe that it is far more proper to grow new organs in a lab, factory, etc., than it is cut organs out of dead bodies then place them in living bodies. Sure the organ is still "alive" in that significant tissue breakdown has not set in, but it's very Frankenstein to me. For that reason I am not a donor, but I have donated blood. I can't explain why, but donating blood seems acceptable to me.

shrox
08-14-2009, 01:52 PM
...Actually, im simply not confortable with the topic :P Its freaking scary and doesn't look that far or even impossible. Not A.I. techonoly rulling the world, no, but technology to enslave masses...

Machines don't have to have "intelligence" or "sentience" to pick out specific targets. Programming in the right shape, mass and temperature is all that is really needed to target a human. Refine that with details about movement, scan for a dual pulsation effect, one being 15 to 45 (human breathing), the other 50 to 120 (heartbeat). Both pulsations follow a ratio (faster breathing coincides with faster heartbeat, and vice versa) and could be used to determine whether it's a deer or a human.

Oh, I hope the machines aren't reading this...I just told them how to identify us...

shrox
08-14-2009, 01:55 PM
But then would you turn down a donated heart, lung or kidney (etc.) to save your life?

Probably. I am one of those foolish Quakers that don't believe death is a treatable disease, and I have someplace to go after all this frakking mess.

probiner
08-14-2009, 01:56 PM
But then would you turn down a donated heart, lung or kidney (etc.) to save your life?

That was my point about the moral values that we have, that when it makes a difference we kinda let them down.

In this case i don't understand whats wrong with it shrox. Altough the organ harvesting picture aint preety specially when ppl steal.

shrox
08-14-2009, 02:19 PM
Then if that's the case and you would really turn it down, cudos to you for actually living your values! :thumbsup: You should also make up a living will to safeguard your wishes!

Here is a picture I mentioned a few weeks ago. The little boy in the front is my father, born in 1882, The old man to the right is my grandfather born in 1795? (with in a year or two). One reason I don't really worry about death and illness I guess. And my mother was born in 1925.

I absolutely realize that very few have this kind of thing to look back on, but it does make me feel very, very fortunate.

Bring on the machines! I don't require batteries...I did have a living will, but my exwife has it, so I should make a new one.

Silkrooster
08-14-2009, 10:51 PM
There will always be a some kind of story that tells the end of the world is near. If we all believed these stories we would all be living in fear. I don't know which is worse the fact that AI may one day rule the world or that there may be mass annihilation.
It wasn't that long ago there was fear that robots would take away all jobs in the factories. Well today that may be partly true but there are still jobs that can't be replaced by a robot and there are new jobs for operating the robots. There are jobs that can only be done with a robot where it needs to be sterile, or in hazardous conditions, etc. The point being we were able to adapt to the new technology. Seams like when ever there is new technology that we do not understand, we fear it.
I believe the same is true with AI. One day we will adapt to that technology and live on. Besides if the fear is that great wouldn't it seam likely there would be a way to disable it without their knowledge?
The thing is AI is a possibility that may never see light especially if the fear grows out of control. But the fact is one day we the people of this world will for a fact have to leave Earth and find another place to live. This is a known fact and will not happen in our life time or at least it shouldn't. The fact is one day the sun will engulf the Earth, or it will at least get hot enough from the Sun's expansion that it will kill all living things on Earth. Because this is so far away, time wise, nobody seams to fear this fact but they fear AI taking over the world. If AI did get out of control at that time it may be in our reach to live elsewhere.
In the end there are way too many unknowns for any of us to fear AI.

shrox
08-15-2009, 01:27 AM
There will always be a some kind of story that tells the end of the world is near. If we all believed these stories we would all be living in fear. I don't know which is worse the fact that AI may one day rule the world or that there may be mass annihilation.
It wasn't that long ago there was fear that robots would take away all jobs in the factories. Well today that may be partly true but there are still jobs that can't be replaced by a robot and there are new jobs for operating the robots. There are jobs that can only be done with a robot where it needs to be sterile, or in hazardous conditions, etc. The point being we were able to adapt to the new technology. Seams like when ever there is new technology that we do not understand, we fear it.
I believe the same is true with AI. One day we will adapt to that technology and live on. Besides if the fear is that great wouldn't it seam likely there would be a way to disable it without their knowledge?
The thing is AI is a possibility that may never see light especially if the fear grows out of control. But the fact is one day we the people of this world will for a fact have to leave Earth and find another place to live. This is a known fact and will not happen in our life time or at least it shouldn't. The fact is one day the sun will engulf the Earth, or it will at least get hot enough from the Sun's expansion that it will kill all living things on Earth. Because this is so far away, time wise, nobody seams to fear this fact but they fear AI taking over the world. If AI did get out of control at that time it may be in our reach to live elsewhere.
In the end there are way too many unknowns for any of us to fear AI.

This isn't about the end of the world, it's about machines designed to kill without human oversight. A machine doesn't need something as sophistcated as AI, just needs a few patterns that are exclusively human to search for. Heck, a Wii remote might be enough to do that.

DiedonD
08-15-2009, 01:38 AM
This isn't about the end of the world, it's about machines designed to kill without human oversight. A machine doesn't need something as sophistcated as AI, just needs a few patterns that are exclusively human to search for. Heck, a Wii remote might be enough to do that.

Well if we are that dumb to make a very sophisticated killing machine, and later on apply only a software that tells it what to kill, and that is us, then we are bringing it to ourselves literally!

Perhaps we want to have a common enemy! So as the world shall unite once more!

But wanting a single enemy and making one is completely different!

Silkrooster
08-15-2009, 03:19 AM

Sounds like you are describing some of the military's new toys.

meshpig
08-15-2009, 05:15 AM
Here is a picture I mentioned a few weeks ago. The little boy in the front is my father, born in 1882, The old man to the right is my grandfather born in 1795? (with in a year or two). One reason I don't really worry about death and illness I guess. And my mother was born in 1925.

I absolutely realize that very few have this kind of thing to look back on, but it does make me feel very, very fortunate.

Bring on the machines! I don't require batteries...I did have a living will, but my exwife has it, so I should make a new one.

They just look like everyone else's Fam shots from the C19 as in bourgeois Victorian folk.

Quakers wore this sort of thing no?

http://www.downingtownfriendsmeeting.org/wedding.gif

Quaker my a***!:D

shrox
08-15-2009, 10:01 AM
They just look like everyone else's Fam shots from the C19 as in bourgeois Victorian folk.

Quakers wore this sort of thing no?

http://www.downingtownfriendsmeeting.org/wedding.gif

Quaker my a***!:D

Why would you say that? I said I am Quaker, not them. Quaker is not genetic...

And did you read why I posted the picture? It's a picture from over 120 years ago with my father in it...

Ĺgrén
08-15-2009, 11:23 AM
Many people thought that military robots are so unrespectful to human life that they will be never put on enemy soil. Then the US echoed Hiroshima mentality with its Talon robot in Iraq... It has been so expensive to kill ~800 000 (no accurate/reliable info available) people with human soldiers that new techiques have to be researched. It's sometimes hard to maintain faith in man.

doimus
08-15-2009, 01:41 PM
Machines destroying humans is as probable as zombie invasion. Now, there are people who expect zombie invasion to happen (but I bet they don't expect the Spanish inquisition)....

So what if a machine can be programmed to detect humans? We'll just charge them on horseback whilst wearing radar-absorbing thermal suits. They will never know what hit 'em.

Then the machines will reprogram themselves.

Then we will send trained exploding bunnies at them.

Then they will reprogram themselves.

And then we will outsmart them again.

Than they will reprogram themselves.

And then Jeff Goldblum will upload a virus to their mainframe.
The End.

shrox
08-15-2009, 02:18 PM
Machines destroying humans is as probable as zombie invasion. Now, there are people who expect zombie invasion to happen (but I bet they don't expect the Spanish inquisition)....

So what if a machine can be programmed to detect humans? We'll just charge them on horseback whilst wearing radar-absorbing thermal suits. They will never know what hit 'em.

Then the machines will reprogram themselves.

Then we will send trained exploding bunnies at them.

Then they will reprogram themselves.

And then we will outsmart them again.

Than they will reprogram themselves.

And then Jeff Goldblum will upload a virus to their mainframe.
The End.

I think many missed the point of my post, and jumped to some silly conclusion about robots taking over the world. I'll just leave it at that. The post's title is a bit of wry sarcasm...

And yes, there will be dinosaurs chasing jeeps on the tour...

meshpig
08-15-2009, 04:56 PM
Why would you say that? I said I am Quaker, not them. Quaker is not genetic...

And did you read why I posted the picture? It's a picture from over 120 years ago with my father in it...

So you're father married a 20 year old in his 60's and was in his 80's when you were born and his father was 95 when he was born? Remarkable if true but doesn't sound right.

In any case I would have thought Quakerism is something you'd inherit rather than choose... I mean do you tremble and quake in the name of the lord? What's wrong with just being a pacifist or a peacenik?:)

shrox
08-15-2009, 05:22 PM
So you're father married a 20 year old in his 60's and was in his 80's when you were born and his father was 95 when he was born? Remarkable if true but doesn't sound right.

In any case I would have thought Quakerism is something you'd inherit rather than choose... I mean do you tremble and quake in the name of the lord? What's wrong with just being a pacifist or a peacenik?:)

I think you are confusing Quaker with Parkinson's...

The name "Quaker" apparently has a few origins, one of them being from the fact that they shook things up, defied the the prevailing authorities, and were actually banned from Europe for a while. It's a derogatory term, we are actually called "The Society of Friends". But hey, you know me, call me a name an I just might run with, being the "Prima Donna" that I am...

Stooch
08-15-2009, 06:30 PM
A head-on with both parties going 5 over can be enough for to make the difference between a crash and a fatal crash. Especially vs things like motorcycles. They designate certain streets certain speeds for a reason.

a head on with both parties going 10 under can be fatal too. hitting a pedestrian at 55 or 65 will both result in a dead pedestrian. running a pedestrian over at 5mph can result in a slower death. ask the old guy that drove through a crwoded street during a parade.

car control and driving education is far more important than an arbitrary number. as german autobahns have proven time and again. the most cost effective way to approach this is by emlpoying tougher licensing with more driving experience in a school insteasd of handing any retard with a car a license. speed limits are are a laughable, reactionary way. that is heavily slanted towards profit rather than public safety.

Cageman
08-15-2009, 08:26 PM
a head on with both parties going 10 under can be fatal too. hitting a pedestrian at 55 or 65 will both result in a dead pedestrian. running a pedestrian over at 5mph can result in a slower death. ask the old guy that drove through a crwoded street during a parade.

car control and driving education is far more important than an arbitrary number. as german autobahns have proven time and again. the most cost effective way to approach this is by emlpoying tougher licensing with more driving experience in a school insteasd of handing any retard with a car a license. speed limits are are a laughable, reactionary way. that is heavily slanted towards profit rather than public safety.

Quoted for 100% agreement. As you say, licenses today is a joke. There are too many morons behind the wheel, no doubt about that.

I'm all for really hard licensing and HUGE penalties for those that abuse their previlage of driving a car/truck/motorcycle (yes... it is a previlage, not a human right, to drive a car).

shrox
08-15-2009, 08:33 PM
Quoted for 100% agreement. As you say, licenses today is a joke. There are too many morons behind the wheel, no doubt about that.

I'm all for really hard licensing and HUGE penalties for those that abuse their previlage of driving a car/truck/motorcycle (yes... it is a previlage, not a human right, to drive a car).

In England, it's 6 months study, you drive around with a scarlett "L" on your car, and you even have to know your way around the engine! While I was there I lived with a few poeple that had just been allowed to remove the L from their car.

jaxtone
08-17-2009, 07:05 AM
I completely melted when seeing this. So nice!

Here is a picture I mentioned a few weeks ago. The little boy in the front is my father, born in 1882, The old man to the right is my grandfather born in 1795? (with in a year or two). One reason I don't really worry about death and illness I guess. And my mother was born in 1925. I absolutely realize that very few have this kind of thing to look back on, but it does make me feel very, very fortunate. Bring on the machines! I don't require batteries...I did have a living will, but my exwife has it, so I should make a new one.

jaxtone
08-17-2009, 07:09 AM
Give me a new body with chips, plastic and organic metal parts that can be replaced when needed! Who needs a heart anyway? It just will become ripped apart by love when you don´t want to!

Uh, who said sad cowboy!

shrox
08-19-2009, 06:58 PM
Well, here's reason to feel good about sentry robots. Not.

http://www.popsci.com/scitech/article/2009-08/evolving-robots-learn-lie-hide-resources-each-other

doimus
08-20-2009, 02:46 AM
On the contrary: I think lying S.O.B. sentry robots are a great thing. I guess you could then bribe them with bottle of Vodka, or split the gold with them, like in "Kelly's Heroes".

After all, corruption is a fantastic human virtue, which will bring robots close to us.... kind of.:o