PDA

View Full Version : LiveSet format - Can it be modified/exported?

Blue Screen Sam
08-13-2009, 11:56 AM
Hi -

Can you tell me what is actually included in the LiveSet file format?

If I don't have the original Lightwave file, can I export the LiveSet file into Lightwave and manipulate it? Is the LiveSet a 3D file, or is it simply a series of rendered images and overlays?

In terms of file size, how many MBs is an average LiveSet?

I know that I can change the graphics and videos in the virtual video screens. What do I have the ability to change within the LiveSet (within TriCaster and outside of TriCaster)?

Thanks for your help!

billmi
08-13-2009, 02:37 PM
Hi -
Can you tell me what is actually included in the LiveSet file format?

VSFX files (one for the PAL version, one for NTSC) and some additional support files (the icons and a text file that determines what order they are displayed in).

If I don't have the original Lightwave file, can I export the LiveSet file into Lightwave and manipulate it?

No. You could do something where you do a screen capture of the LiveSet, and use that in a plate to composite a new LiveSet, but you can't extract the original Lightwave scene and objects from the LiveSet, just like you can't export models and scenes from a rendered animation.

Is the LiveSet a 3D file, or is it simply a series of rendered images and overlays?

It is not a 3D file.

In terms of file size, how many MBs is an average LiveSet?

It varies, but the VSFX file for each shot is typically 2-3 Megs in size.

I know that I can change the graphics and videos in the virtual video screens. What do I have the ability to change within the LiveSet (within TriCaster and outside of TriCaster)?

Nothing, the LiveSet format is not an editable/modifiable format.

If you have the source materials from which the LiveSet is made (Aura project or Lightwave Scene) and the appropriate software, then you can change that source file and render out a new LiveSet.

Blue Screen Sam
08-14-2009, 08:55 AM
Thank you so much for the detailed answers! That really helps me understand much more about the LiveSet format.

I have a couple more questions...

How many virtual plasma screens can a LiveSet have? Can some be static graphics, others DDR sources, others live video inputs? Is there an overall limit?

In a news set, for example, is there any way to design a LiveSet in Lightwave so that the cityscape/skyline backdrop graphic can be changed quickly and easily without Lightwave? Preferably in TriCaster.

Thanks again for your help!

billmi
08-15-2009, 01:56 PM
Thank you so much for the detailed answers! That really helps me understand much more about the LiveSet format.

I have a couple more questions...

How many virtual plasma screens can a LiveSet have?[/quote]

There's not a limit that I know of. I'm sure there are practical limits at what will work on a given hardware configuration (TCBroadcast, TCPro, VT[5], etc.) I've made some with enough sources that my VT[5] would drop frames on them.

Can some be static graphics, others DDR sources, others live video inputs? Is there an overall limit?

The plugin for Lightwave can use 2 inputs, "Input" (the input to which the LiveSet is applied - in virtual set applications this is usually the camera feed of the talent) and FX (whatever is selected on the FX bus). The plugin for Aura can use 4 inputs - Input, FX, Preview (whatever is on the Preview bus) and DSK (whatever is selected on the Downstream Key / Overlay bus). Keep in mind, using all four inputs has limitations - for example if you are using the preview bus in the set, you can only do a DVE transition to whatever you have on that bus - otherwise you have to punch sources on the program bus to get into or out of your LiveSet shot.

In a news set, for example, is there any way to design a LiveSet in Lightwave so that the cityscape/skyline backdrop graphic can be changed quickly and easily without Lightwave? Preferably in TriCaster.

Easily done in Lightwave if you don't need any other sources (i.e. a flat screen in the shot). Otherwise you'd need to render still images of the set, then compile them into a LiveSet in Aura to be able to use more inputs.

biblebro
11-28-2011, 08:07 PM
Where do you purchase or find the lightwave plugin to create virtual sets?

billmi
11-29-2011, 05:14 AM
If you are a registered VT5 owner (or I believe the SD Tricasters, too) and Lightwave owner, it will be available on your downloads page at support.newtek.com. The plugin works with Lightwave versions 9.3, 9.5 and 9.6. I'm not sure if it works with LW 10.