PDA

View Full Version : Scene will crash when loading any new object.

stoecklem
08-13-2009, 10:57 AM
i'm getting really tired of this stuff. I had a good day with lightwave yesterday. now every one of my saved scene files seems to be corrupted. whenever I try to load any object into layout the scene crashes. at this point i've lost five hours of yesterdays work. i'm not finished, i need to import more objects.

Does anyone have any idea how I might fix this. I know i've had to go into the scene text file and delete plugins before to salvage scenes. Is there anything I can delete in the text file?

any ideas would be much appreciated.

Thank you

Nicolas Jordan
08-13-2009, 11:11 AM
Are you using any non native plugins with your scene? What version of Lightwave are you using?

stoecklem
08-13-2009, 11:15 AM
hi, I'm using 9.6 and F-prime 3.5. I tried to go into the text file and delete all plugins, and it still did not help.

Nicolas Jordan
08-13-2009, 11:26 AM
Can you load the objects that cause a crash into a new blank scene without it causing a crash? Is there any surfacing applied using nodes on any of the objects you are trying to load?

I have had crashes with an older version of FPrime(3.2) because it didn't work with some nodes I had applied but as far as I know FPrime 3.5 should be ok with most nodes.

stoecklem
08-13-2009, 11:32 AM
I was able to start working again. It seemed to fix it if I just save a scene copy. this type of thing happens all the time for me, corrupted files and random crashes. I like lightwave a lot(especially with F-prime), but its got some serious bugs. and i have no alternative since I use it to create livesets for VT and tricaster. hopefully 9.61 will improve things for me.

(yes I can load the objects in a blank scene, and none of the objects were using nodes. its a very simple scene)

Nicolas Jordan
08-13-2009, 11:46 AM
It sounds like you might have some messed up Config files. I would suggest deleted them but back them up just in case you want to revert things. It's a bit of work to load all your plugins and customize things again but it may keep your Lightwave running smoother in the long run. Here is a link on how Configs can be set up better if you don't have them set up like this already.

http://www.lightwiki.com/Optimising_configs

You might want to wait until your done your project to do this unless things get really bad.

Sensei
08-13-2009, 01:25 PM
Do you have, or had, any other LW version installed on the system prior LW v9.6?
If so, did you used -c to redirect config file? Or uninstalled and deleted old LW config files?
Redirection of config dir is absolute must have if you're using couple LW versions parallel..

stoecklem
08-13-2009, 01:37 PM
I'm pretty sure I installed 9.6 straight to this computer, but
i could be wrong. Thanks for the info. I will surely reset my config files when I am done this project.