PDA

View Full Version : The Secret of Success: Suck Less

3dWannabe
08-13-2009, 08:57 AM
I found this article to be very interesting, and hopefully Newtek will find it interesting also. I'd certainly agree with it.

http://www.codesimplicity.com/archives/137

borkus
08-15-2009, 09:54 AM
Oh my... That had tears running down my face and my stomach hurts from laughing... It's nice to see that candid attitude that you mostly only ever see from open source projects.

3dWannabe
08-15-2009, 10:37 AM
I wish all the companies I buy from would read that article. It really does take work to lose a customer.

Red_Oddity
08-16-2009, 02:19 AM
I found this article to be very interesting, and hopefully Newtek will find it interesting also. I'd certainly agree with it.

http://www.codesimplicity.com/archives/137

I hope the folks who wrote SpeedEdit will read it thoroughly *ducks for cover*

jaxtone
08-16-2009, 05:23 AM
Great article... and you know what?

What the guy write is the traditional reality for almost any supplier of goods and services, "except for the software and computer business sector".

Craftsmen, doctors, producers and creative persons always have to deliver without errors, otherwise the customer close his accounts and shut down you business.

But the two last mentioned areas of business, (soft- & hardware), it has been a tradition to accuse the customer for any failure, bug or crash that the soft- or hardware causes.

If you bought a few computers and invested in softwares that are mentioned as compatible with each others you know that too well. :devil:

3dWannabe
08-16-2009, 08:54 AM
Curious - I don't think the point of the article was that users are unhappy about a product with errors.

User switch only when errors are not slowly corrected. When they just throw up their hands in frustration when the product they've invested in gets worse instead of better.

With LW 9.6.1 in beta, focused on just fixing bugs not providing new features, NewTek is heading down the correct path to make me happy. 9.6.1 should 'suck less' and have fewer problems.

I hope they continue - and even with the focus on CORE - bring out more bug fixes for 9.6.

I don't know about anyone else, but I'd gladly put $100 into just supporting 9.6 fixes and small increases in the feature set. It would only take 2000 users putting in $100 to maybe hire back Daisuke Ino (who apparently wrote IKB and many of the cool features of LW).

Then, they could make LW 9.6 an entry level program with a $250 price tag after CORE is released - bringing in a whole new cadre of LW users (price-demand elasticity) who will eventually upgrade to CORE. Everybody wins!

precedia
08-17-2009, 06:25 PM
The Blender folks are following this trajectory; each release sucks less.

Matt
08-18-2009, 06:52 AM
The Blender folks are following this trajectory; each release sucks less.

Same with CORE.