PDA

View Full Version : import from illustrator issue

eljefeloco
08-12-2009, 11:59 PM
Sometimes when I import text (or other drawings) from illustrator the compound shapes appear closed, check it out:

http://www.droppinscience.com/pic2.png

Notice on the D,S, and C that there is a solid polygon making up the front face, where it should look like the "r" and appear like a thick outline. I get polygon "faces" for both the outer and inner curve of the letter, but the outer face is solid, not respecting the cut out of the inner face. Hopefully that makes sense.

Anyways, I've tried several attempts at fixing this, mostly trying to boolean out the outer face with an extruded version of the inner face, but it still appears solid.

Anyone had this problem? Any one have an idea of why some shapes import from Illustrator correctly and others do not? (I checked the ill files, it looks clean). And finally, anyone have an idea of how to fix this problem other than drawing from within LW?

thanks in advance.

Dexter2999
08-13-2009, 01:11 AM
When you were importing the shapes did you select the option about autodrilling?

Even then I get stuff like this all the time. I've just gotten used to taking the inner shape I want drilled out to the background layer and doing a boolean, drill, or stencil function to remove that area from the large solid outilined shape.

Good Luck

borkus
08-15-2009, 10:25 AM
Same here. Every once and a while I get lucky and it comes through intact. But, it's not very often. End up tweaking something or other. I just look at it that what does come through is at least that much less that I have to do in modeller.

eljefeloco
08-15-2009, 10:02 PM
OK, sounds like its a common problem then. I thought there was something that I was doing wrong. I'll give it another shot with the drill/boolean tools.

thanks

dwburman
08-22-2009, 05:18 PM
Yup, It's not you.

A couple more notes:

1) You probably know this already, but it's good practice to merge points after a boolean or drill.

2) Sometimes when a face has a complicated shape with a lot of points, the OpenGL can't display it properly and will show a filled polygon where there is none. Often, the poly will render fine (as long as it isn't non-planar) but you can fix the problem in OpenGL by splitting the poly at key areas or simply tripling it.