PDA

View Full Version : Speed Modeling Challenge #51 - Communications

flakester
08-12-2009, 02:59 PM
Speed Modeling Challenge #51 - Communications
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Rules:

1: Every week there will be a subject for you to model along with a time limit. You should spend no longer than the allocated time, then post a render of your model. As in most challenges like this, your honesty on modelling times is essential.
How you interpret the brief is up to you as long as the final model conforms to what is asked for.

2: Post a render of your model (min 800x600 pixels) in this thread with a wireframe.

3: LightWave should be used for modelling. 3rd party Plug ins are allowed.

4: You can enter as many times as you like, posting each in this thread. If you run over the time, the model can still be posted but won't be subject to the judging.

5: Time spent on texturing, setting up a scene for a render and rendering is not included in the allocated period.

**Please mention whether or not you would be happy to share the model.**

Lightwave Speed Modeling Group
Subject - Communications

Verbal, aural, visual.... helping or hindering. Anything to do with communications.

Time Limit - 60 minutes

Deadline - Wednesday 19th August 2200 GMT

Oedo 808
08-12-2009, 03:17 PM
Ha, I was just about to post up "Oops, flakester has jumped the gun!" but it seems Oedo has lost a day, so no #50 entry from me. I can't see how the weeks go by so quickly, but to be honest the years seems to be lasting less and less each one that comes. Mid August already?

Let's see if I can not be dumb enough to miss this one.

flakester
08-12-2009, 03:33 PM
Ha, I was just about to post up "Oops, flakester has jumped the gun!" but it seems Oedo has lost a day, so no #50 entry from me. I can't see how the weeks go by so quickly, but to be honest the years seems to be lasting less and less each one that comes. Mid August already?

Let's see if I can not be dumb enough to miss this one.

No, you're kind of right....

Round #50 was started on a Thursday - so you still have till tomorrow night to get one in for that, just thought I'd bring it all back into line for Wednesdays; if only because I'll be too busy over the next few days due to workload and all to start the next one.

--
flakester

Oedo 808
08-12-2009, 03:37 PM
Well I think you've done right there, it's just me, I've not long turned thirty and so am taking every opportunity to bemoan the ever increasing passage of time.

Ernest
08-12-2009, 05:28 PM
Ha, I was just about to post up "Oops, flakester has jumped the gun!" but it seems Oedo has lost a day, so no #50 entry from me. I can't see how the weeks go by so quickly, but to be honest the years seems to be lasting less and less each one that comes. Mid August already?That is normal. As the universe expands constantly faster and faster, time will be pass faster and faster as well. Or we're being boring and we're getting fast forwarded to a more interesting time in history.

R.Feeney
08-14-2009, 08:17 AM
Good subject. I hope to see a fair few entries this week, communications could be interpreted in a lot of different ways

art
08-14-2009, 09:01 AM
...communications could be interpreted in a lot of different ways

This just gave me an idea. And an easy one too.

R.Feeney
08-14-2009, 11:15 AM
This just gave me an idea. And an easy one too.

Glad to hear it :)

art
08-14-2009, 12:02 PM
Direct communication device. Just add wife ;)
Negligible modeling time.

R.Feeney
08-14-2009, 12:08 PM
And where were you till this hour!:twak:
Good one:thumbsup:

flakester
08-14-2009, 12:31 PM
Direct communication device. Just add wife ;)
Negligible modeling time.
Ha! Brill! :thumbsup:

~ And where were you till this hour! :twak: ~
Brings back memories.... maybe not such good ones... ~8-S

--
flakester

R.Feeney
08-14-2009, 12:57 PM
Ha! Brill! :thumbsup:

Brings back memories.... maybe not such good ones... ~8-S

--
flakester

Aye :D
I`m fighting the urge to go nuts with a few entries for this challenge.

Nangleator
08-14-2009, 12:57 PM
Some wise guy had to do it!

About 25 minutes modeling, 40 minutes scene setup, including FiberFX.

I actually made the paper with thickness, so I tried to use a SSS surface to show off the cups a little better, but I failed to get anything good from it. It was very blotchy with the SSS node, which I attributed to the real world scale of the object and the probably sub-millimeter thickness of the paper. I tried Sigma, too, and ended up with something a bit too metallic for my simple, white cups.

I also ran into a problem with the real-world scale of the object trying to get short little hairs on my string. I had to scale the object up because my minimum hair length was about a centimeter.

The string was a simple quad stretched out with Rail Extrude. I didn't bother with the knots inside the cups.

R.Feeney
08-14-2009, 01:03 PM
Cool!
You could try with just translucency if the sss is not up to the job

AdamAvenali
08-14-2009, 01:21 PM

haha i was going to do the exact same thing. the composition i had in my head was almost exactly the same as well, freaky.

Nangleator
08-14-2009, 01:56 PM
Here's a little more detail. I liked the Fiber work, so I wanted a closeup.

Oh, I think the translucency worked for me.

shrox
08-14-2009, 02:54 PM
Someone communicated with me recently...

COBRASoft
08-14-2009, 04:11 PM

There goes my idea... Nice done :)

R.Feeney
08-14-2009, 04:53 PM
Here's a little more detail. I liked the Fiber work, so I wanted a closeup.

Oh, I think the translucency worked for me.

That came out nice:thumbsup:

RudySchneider
08-14-2009, 08:35 PM
I have really got to work on my speed! This is as far as I could get in an hour, UGH!

shrox
08-14-2009, 08:42 PM
Someone communicated with me recently...

Geez, I thought someone would have laughed by now, I hope I didn't offend anyone.

RudySchneider
08-14-2009, 10:13 PM
Geez, I thought someone would have laughed by now, I hope I didn't offend anyone.

I'd laugh, Shrox, but I think it's just that, like me, everyone has had similar experience(s).

jameswillmott
08-14-2009, 11:27 PM

I actually made the paper with thickness, so I tried to use a SSS surface to show off the cups a little better, but I failed to get anything good from it. It was very blotchy with the SSS node, which I attributed to the real world scale of the object and the probably sub-millimeter thickness of the paper. I tried Sigma, too, and ended up with something a bit too metallic for my simple, white cups.

I also ran into a problem with the real-world scale of the object trying to get short little hairs on my string. I had to scale the object up because my minimum hair length was about a centimeter.

The string was a simple quad stretched out with Rail Extrude. I didn't bother with the knots inside the cups.

Argh! There goes my idea! Serves me right for not doing it when I thought of it...

colkai
08-15-2009, 02:56 AM
direct communication device. Just add wife ;)

cough! - choke! :D :D

flakester
08-15-2009, 03:32 AM
Lovely stuff there from Nangleator and Rudy! :thumbsup:

And the classic international drivers sign language for "Excuse me Sir, it is my belief that you have performed a manoeuvre not in keeping with good road sense" from Shrox: you forgot to post the wires! :p

Great work so far folks.

--
flakester

R.Feeney
08-15-2009, 03:43 AM
Morse code key.
I left out some detail that I should have put in but I am too damn tired.

Nowhere Man
08-15-2009, 08:27 AM

Dang, was it really so obvious?:D

PS I did the knots (took almost twice as long as the cup itself, though;D).

R.Feeney
08-15-2009, 09:12 AM
Very neat work there:thumbsup:

Nowhere Man
08-15-2009, 12:25 PM
Made it (and discovered Multishift along the way, never supposed it is sooo useful), but the model is a hell of a mess.

Anyway, here it is - a megaphone - because sometimes people just don't get it :D

Well, I have to make something actually worth submitting next time :foreheads

Nangleator
08-15-2009, 02:51 PM
Hey, good megaphone! Yes, Multishift is your friend. Just fiddle around with it in subpatch mode and you can have a real blast.

R.Feeney
08-15-2009, 02:57 PM
Can You See The Future?!!
I was going to try a palantír (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Palantír) but decided on a regular Crystal Ball instead
A silly 10 min effort :D

shrox
08-15-2009, 03:15 PM
...And the classic international drivers sign language for "Excuse me Sir, it is my belief that you have performed a manoeuvre not in keeping with good road sense" from Shrox: you forgot to post the wires! :p

Great work so far folks.

--
flakester

It's actually just a Poser hand, I was going to do a Star Trek communicator, but I decided to go for funny instead. And I did the blurring myself in Photoshop!

R.Feeney
08-16-2009, 09:50 AM
A radio telescope, to be honest I didnt think I had a chance in hell of getting it done in one hour modeling. But this is what I ended up with at 59 min.

Radial array of various parts was the key

COBRASoft
08-16-2009, 10:04 AM
I think R. Feeney is the key :)

Nice!

Nangleator
08-16-2009, 12:04 PM
Well, the VLA was going to be my serious attempt, so now I'm on to another idea.

Very good, Feeney! I didn't know if I could break it down into 1/24 for a radial array, but I was going to try.

Waves of light
08-16-2009, 12:19 PM
OK, here's my entry, more attempted communication than actual:

Didn't take long to model, about 30-35mins, it is only a bottle and a backdrop. But it took me nearly an hour to texture (not my strong point as you can see from the procedural cork!)

Anyway, message in a bottle:

R.Feeney
08-16-2009, 01:14 PM
Well, the VLA was going to be my serious attempt, so now I'm on to another idea.

Very good, Feeney! I didn't know if I could break it down into 1/24 for a radial array, but I was going to try.
Have a go anyway:thumbsup:
It was a series of different arrays, one x40 for the struts that run right along the back of the dish, one x 8 for the biggest struts, then fill the gap between two of them and then array that filler x8 as well and it should all line up nicely.

OK, here's my entry, more attempted communication than actual:

Didn't take long to model, about 30-35mins, it is only a bottle and a backdrop. But it took me nearly an hour to texture (not my strong point as you can see from the procedural cork!)

Anyway, message in a bottle:

Good one, never even though of the possibility

flakester
08-16-2009, 02:58 PM
Great interpretations of the subject, and a good high level of quality so far. Lovely stuff folks! :thumbsup:

--
flakester

RudySchneider
08-16-2009, 07:02 PM
In case you're curious, that's "Too long, but done" in morse. Eons ago, or at least when I was 14, I started out in HAM Radio with one of these, and worked my way up to 30 words per minute (of course, that was with what they call an electonic keyer!).

Anyway, I couldn't let it go undone. So, after another two hours (UGH!), here's the result.

Nangleator
08-16-2009, 07:33 PM
Beautiful, RudySchneider! Beautiful wires and beautiful render.

Waves of light
08-17-2009, 01:08 AM
Man, I would love to be able to get my wires to be as clean as yours. Nice work RudySchneider.

COBRASoft
08-17-2009, 10:10 AM
Wow RudySchneider, very nice polyflow.

RudySchneider
08-17-2009, 12:00 PM
Gee, thanks guys! But don't forget, that took me three hours! Granted, it's just a hobby, but I'm still abysmally slow. It is fun, nonetheless. I'm always blown away by the quality of work from all the contributors to the Speed Modeling Competition. And R. Feeney seems like an imagination and modeling machine!

adamredwoods
08-18-2009, 12:31 AM
A radio telescope, to be honest I didnt think I had a chance in hell of getting it done in one hour modeling. But this is what I ended up with at 59 min.

Radial array of various parts was the key

Wow incredible detail! I like this one.

adamredwoods
08-18-2009, 12:35 AM
Here's my entry, very simple (but still just under 60 min). I won't count the letters as part of it, just there to add completion to the piece.

flakester
08-18-2009, 03:25 PM
More lovely stuff here.
One more day to go, keep em coming! :thumbsup:

--
flakester

Crossfire
08-19-2009, 06:49 AM
Very Nice Renders and Models From Everyone!:thumbsup:

I tried doing the Bat Signal but ran out of time to add all the detail I wanted. I'll have to wrap this one up later and post some renders.

Great Job All!!:thumbsup:

Nangleator
08-19-2009, 07:16 AM
Nice!

I thought about doing one of those shutter-light things you see in naval WW2 films, but the Bat Signal is so much cooler!

Oedo 808
08-19-2009, 03:33 PM
Nice work folks, great to see R.Feeney pushing the limits with the radio telescope, I love a bit of 'mission impossible' in the speed modelling challenges. Mr Schnieder's clean wires also very attractive, I've been trying to improve mine as time goes on.

Ok, well I just went over time with this, so I didn't worry about getting it in before 22:00. I had hoped it wouldn't give me too much grief, but alas it was more complicated than it looked. Sound the retreat!

R.Feeney
08-19-2009, 04:41 PM
Wow guys some great stuff:thumbsup:
Rudys morse code key, such clean lines
the mouth and ear in that time is cool
The bat signal cant but be cool :D
and the bugle great control of the mesh to get all those curves so smooth.

Tomorrow I will start Challenge #52
I was thinking to mark the year of challenges I would open it up to anything from all the previous challenges, a fairly broad choice.

But if anyone has a better Idea please, please speak up.

COBRASoft
08-19-2009, 05:04 PM
Hey guys,

This was a quicky one, less than 15 minutes to model, didn't have more time this week.

Greetings,
Sigurd

COBRASoft
08-19-2009, 05:06 PM
R. Feeney, why not a challenge to model something to celebrate the 1st year. The number 1 must be in the model... The rest is free.

flakester
08-20-2009, 02:29 AM
Righto.

A good turn out for this round, some wonderful work.

I'm going to go for real controversy here - I'm picking Nowhere Man and his Megaphone as the winning entry; for the different forms in the model... smooth curves, tighter edges and sharp angles too, very nice lines - all in what appears to be a seamless subpatch object. Well done that man! :thumbsup:

Of course, we have to pay some service to R.Feeney for the Morse key, and especially the radio telescope, shows what can be achieved with planning and knowing the tools.

Honourable mentiones to RudySchneider for his Morse key, Oedo for the bugle, Nangleator for the cups on a string, Art's excellent take on the subject with his rolling pin.... and COBRASoft's ace interpretation with the Binair letter!

Actually, I think I've covered everyone there!

Well done all, great stuff.

--
flakester

Nangleator
08-20-2009, 06:31 AM
Congrats, Nowhere Man! Very good megaphone!

RudySchneider
08-20-2009, 06:40 AM
I concur. Well done, Nowhere Man. Simple but effective.

Nangleator
08-20-2009, 06:53 AM
Hmm... I believe it's H.P. Lovecraft's birthday today. Could that be a modeling topic?

Crossfire
08-20-2009, 06:57 AM
Congrats Nowhere Man!:thumbsup:

Great Job Everyone Else!:D

AdamAvenali
08-20-2009, 07:52 AM
just to throw this out there, the traditional first year anniversary gift is paper :)

Nowhere Man
08-20-2009, 11:48 AM
Oh, emmm, thanks guys! :D

And congrats to all, who contributed, some really nice ideas and work here :thumbsup:

R.Feeney
08-20-2009, 11:57 AM
Well done Nowhere Man, dont forget you get to run next weeks challenge.

This weeks is posted http://www.newtek.com/forums/showthread.php?t=101290
sorry I`m a bit late.
Sharing a Birthday with H.P.Lovecraft will do that though:D