PDA

View Full Version : How to animate lights

Ryko
08-26-2003, 11:36 AM
So I have a red glowing spot light :D and I want it to blink. I mean to increace its glowing and then to decreace it to zero. If there is to much of explanation at leest tell me where is the meniu where I can create or edit such an animation.
Thanks in advance :)

gjjackson
08-26-2003, 11:48 AM
If you look under the properties for the lights (select light use 'p' key) you'll see the 'E' for color and intensity. You can create a curve to do what you want.

videobear
08-27-2003, 09:36 AM
Adding an envelope to the light will change its intensity as seen by its effect on other objects.

Adding an envelope to the light's lens flare properties will change the intensity of the light itself, as seen by someone looking at it.

You should add both envelopes for proper realism.

Ryko
08-27-2003, 10:27 AM
Thanks! But its a litle pity that i can't make light envelope (that falls on other objects) to be dependent on the envelope of lens flare. So I wouldn’t have to adjust bouth envelopes at exact precision.

trick
08-27-2003, 10:44 AM
Originally posted by Ryko
Thanks! But its a litle pity that i can't make light envelope (that falls on other objects) to be dependent on the envelope of lens flare. So I wouldn’t have to adjust bouth envelopes at exact precision.

If you want dependancy write an expression or buy Amelie (http://www.rayserver.com)

glassefx
08-27-2003, 11:07 AM
Originally posted by Ryko

Just copy the light(s) intensity envelope and paste it into the light(s) color envelope. Both envelopes "should" be directly or almost directly proportinate so not much tweeking should be required.

A note:

You will NOT want to have it like this.

Frame 00: off
Frame 01: on
Frame 02: off
Frame 03: on
etc,etc.

You will get a nasty looking thing when animated.

try (depending on speed of required flash) to stretch it out to 3 frames, like this.

Frame 00: off
Frame 01: 33% increase in strength of effect (color or strength)
Frame 02: 66%
Frame 03: 100%
Frame 04: 66%
Frame 05: 33%
Frame 06: 0ff (0%)
etc,etc.

That make sense?

You could even use more Frames Per Second to get the correct blinking speed.

skoal!

txbob
08-27-2003, 11:09 AM
I very often want to adjust then independently, and it's easy enough to copy and paste when you want them the same.