PDA

View Full Version : Zshperes.... 2!

jin choung
08-12-2009, 02:13 AM
http://www.zbrushcentral.com/zbc/showthread.php?p=594634&posted=1#post594634

wow...

lets you paint zspheres.... and then mesh it! it's like adding strips of clay to an armature. takes the best aspects of zspheres, zb sculpting tools and the kind of additive meshing you find in things like metaballs.

great idea and looks like really awesome implementation.

jin

jin choung
08-12-2009, 02:39 AM
Pixologic is probably the single most influential company when it comes to pushing the boundaries of organic CG workflows and tools. Their innovations are amazing.

I can hardly wait to get 3.5... for free... again :) ZBrush is the investment that keeps on giving.

absolutely... sooooo glad i got mine a few siggies ago!

jin

akademus
08-12-2009, 03:32 AM
absolutely... sooooo glad i got mine a few siggies ago!

jin

Yep, make that two. With all the things involved in this update, they are sky rocketing above all other sculpting apps.

artstorm
08-12-2009, 03:33 AM
Woah! That's going to be so useful! I can't wait for the release of 3.5, to make this summer complete. :)

biliousfrog
08-12-2009, 03:42 AM
My flabber is totally gasted, at last a proper sculpting application.

DiedonD
08-12-2009, 04:18 AM
For a very good anatomy knowing person, going through the majour muscles in one stroke of a muscle brush, it should be a great feeling.

But probably Andrew will have something of the like if he hasnt already!

UnCommonGrafx
08-12-2009, 06:19 AM
I haven't updated to 3 because 2 has been serving my purpose quite well. But also, with Pixologics latest announcements, I'm using zb again and actually enjoying it. It's not so maddening when you come back to it after a bit of a lull. And it is quite silky in all of what it does.

Yeah, I'm waiting to see what they do on the animation side of 3d; they sure have all the underpinnings for a very cool posing system (we know that) if they had a timeline to go with it. And with this piece of the puzzle, the underpinnings just got pinned to the skin, as it were.

cresshead
08-12-2009, 08:28 AM
frak, they are so cool it just makes me giggle...awesome company that just get more awesome with each update they make to zbrush...and all free apdates!...draw dropping.
zsphere's II remind me of the max plugin metareyes for 3dsmax 3>> see the images below of how they create the muscles volume.
http://www.reyes-infografica.com/imagen/meta/images/rata_2a.jpg
http://www.reyes-infografica.com/imagen/meta/images/cerdo_1a.jpg
http://www.reyes-infografica.com/imagen/meta/images/goril_1a.jpg
http://www.reyes-infografica.com/imagen/meta/images/igua_1a.jpg

This is as close to physically building a maquette as your going to get on a pc.
Starting with the wire skeleton and slapping on the clay.
This is you very own Virtual Ray Harryhausen Digital Workshop!

http://www.newtek.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=76207&d=1250090582

other sculpting apps will have to take note, mudbox look's rather 1st gen now.

Newtek get that GoZ working!

IMI
08-12-2009, 08:53 AM
Holy sh1t!

I don't know what else to say, and that about covers it. :D

Nemoid
08-12-2009, 10:06 AM
its truely amazing how you can literally build up muscles over the structure and deform /pose it, and keep modelling. It is also of great help for artists knowing anatomy, and may be for rig purposes?

What I wonder is how the final mesh will result in terms of polyflow and resolution ? May be it should be retopologized afterwards.

BTW what i think is: That app needs a "fracking" timeline to do animation. :agree:

cresshead
08-12-2009, 10:23 AM
BTW what i think is: That app needs a "fracking" timeline to do animation. :agree:

i can see where this is going...much like houdini you mean?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h0szMFeJDu4&feature=related

AdamAvenali
08-12-2009, 10:42 AM
Holy sh1t!

:agree:

mouse_art
08-12-2009, 10:48 AM
Delicious!

Nemoid
08-12-2009, 10:51 AM

oh yeah something like this would be actually awesome ! build your armature, then muscle, skin , paint and animate it.

and/or also, be able to export armature as a skeleton rig into other applications.

however, have to say Pixologic is pushing some real innovation.:agree:

biliousfrog
08-12-2009, 11:21 AM

It has always seemed like a very logical step, even with the first Z-Spheres...think about it, you're grabbing and moving control handles just like any animation rig.

It would almost feel like virtual stop motion. Imagine being able to create animation poses and sculpting the fine details as you go without being completely dependant on complex rigs and weighting for every eventuality. I can see it being much more fun than the very technical approach we need to use currently.

pming
08-12-2009, 11:27 AM
*sniff*

I love you Pixologic.

...will you have my babies?

*sniff*

This company has NEVER stopped amazing me. Every step of the way. Friggin' awesome! They have my wallet for life...and my unending adoration of every person working there.

Go Pixologic!

PS: Netwek? Are you listening? Hint..."GoZ"...

^_^

Paul L. Ming

jin choung
08-12-2009, 11:27 AM
a while back, i sent in a feature request to pix about making the zspheres less constrained to branching - i.e. be able to make arbitrary strips of zspheres to build up volume and then have a good meshing algorithm over all that that's better than the alternate meshing method in zb that creates a less than desirable mesh....

i was hoping for a next gen ORGANICA (anyone remember that app?).

but it looks like this new zb version is all that and a bag of chips.... man, i love it when i get what i want!

jin

realgray
08-12-2009, 11:50 AM
I know Core is important, but I think this just reiterates the need for a GoZ connection with Lightwave 9.6 as long as it's possible with Lightwave's code.

lwaddict
08-12-2009, 02:48 PM
If it's not possible...
then they should make it possible.

Stuff like this will definitely make some wonder what app they should use as they base.

Pixologic, you guys ARE all that. Wow.

lwaddict
08-12-2009, 03:34 PM
jin...

ORAGANICA...oh man, that brings back memories.

That app was headed in the right direction but got run over just standing there... but yep, remember it well. Matter of fact, got the disc around here somewhere. LOL.

cresshead
08-12-2009, 04:56 PM
yeah looks likea mix of clay studio pro and metareyes but the creation method is that of a brush rather than a meta primative you stretchout and place and add cross sections in like the meta muscles.

Ernest
08-12-2009, 05:17 PM
I'm not sure if I just saw the most exciting and important development in the DCC world since... since... well, since ZBrush, or if I just saw something completely and utterly useless. What happens after you finish claying it?

cresshead
08-12-2009, 05:56 PM
What happens after you finish claying it?

you eat a pizza and drink a cup of tea :D

hrgiger
08-12-2009, 05:58 PM
Um, wow.

That's all I got.

jasonwestmas
08-12-2009, 06:11 PM
. . .and this is why Zbrush will remain to be competative, the best sculpting tools out there and getting better!

jasonwestmas
08-12-2009, 06:12 PM
What happens after you finish claying it?

You paint it in modo or 3DCoat?:D

BlueApple
08-12-2009, 07:02 PM
Two things that I hope it can do out of the box:

1- Export the ZSphere armature as bones.
2- Export the mesh with weights already assigned to those bones.

If it can't do this (with LightWave) then I'll be reading up on ZScripting 'til my face hurts.

Magnus81
08-12-2009, 07:09 PM
I just hope ZB 4 has better retop tools like 3dcoat.

UnCommonGrafx
08-12-2009, 11:03 PM
Jin, lwaddict,
Touched the organica disc this weekend as I was storing a whole bunch of old discs.

This is as close as I've seen anyone bother in the same vein as organica. Obviously, this is better. :::)))

jin choung
08-13-2009, 01:57 AM
jin...

ORAGANICA...oh man, that brings back memories.

That app was headed in the right direction but got run over just standing there... but yep, remember it well. Matter of fact, got the disc around here somewhere. LOL.

yah....

organica and amorphium and probably metaballs were ahead of their time.

the technology was cool but there was a dead end in that there was no way to get a mesh that was conventionally.... "usable".... you had to end in illustration or sculpture (not to mention the rudimentary editing tools)....

i'd say the advent of "difference mapping" was the revolutionary point... able to bake the high freq details from a mesh onto the limit surface of another with arbitrary (read: better) topology. and it happened almost simultaneously on multiple fronts too: doom3 and crytek for baking the diff onto normal maps and lord of the rings for baking into displacements (onto nurbs surfaces for some reason).

that was the key that changed the landscape. retopo helped.

it's also funny that zb went so far back as to embrace VERTEX COLORING! that was a tech before its time too.... the thing that turned it from real time toy to real useful asset was just..... millions and millions of polys... : )

really neat when new technology puts a completely new spin on really old ideas.

jin

jin choung
08-13-2009, 01:59 AM
You have a skinned mesh as usual. Ready for detail sculpting and painting. It is no different than skinning "old" ZSpheres.

yep, i was wanting to see the wireframe but if there is a brief moment in the video before they start sculpting on the mesh where you can see the meshed wireframe....

there's like 10 frames or something.

the mesh looks good for sculpting... regular, if not properly edgelooped (which it is not).

but a perfectly good base for sculpting and maquetting and then it's retopo and projection as usual.

jin

pooby
08-13-2009, 02:26 AM
This really IS exciting. Its the most innovative thing I've seen since Fprime.

I predict that within the next few years, (unless Pixologic go for animation themselves within Zbrush), They will make a plugin that sits inside Maya, XSI etc and utilises this skinning technique for animation. With a Go-Z type connection back to Zbrush for adding animated fine displacements.

It seems so tantalisingly close already.

IMI
08-13-2009, 04:10 AM
you eat a pizza and drink a cup of tea :D

Pizza and tea?

Man, you British take that tea thing way too far. You don't see Americans having coffee with a burger, do you? ;)

Pizza and Beer. :beerchug:

DiedonD
08-13-2009, 04:19 AM
Pizza with fruit juice here

ranhell
08-13-2009, 12:11 PM
That was so cool man Zbrush rocks.....:thumbsup:

Magnus81
08-13-2009, 04:40 PM
Man, you British take that tea thing way too far. You don't see Americans having coffee with a burger, do you?
That's a really good point. Any of our British brother-en care to retaliate?

cresshead
08-13-2009, 04:59 PM
That's a really good point. Any of our British brother-en care to retaliate?

no :D

jasonwestmas
08-13-2009, 06:12 PM
They like thur Teeeeeeah!

Magnus81
08-13-2009, 06:17 PM
Well I'm Norwegian, so I like my Lefsa.

Matt
08-13-2009, 06:19 PM
Pizza and tea?

Man, you British take that tea thing way too far. You don't see Americans having coffee with a burger, do you? ;)

Pizza and Beer. :beerchug:

Pizza and tea? Yuck, that must just be Cresshead!

Pizza can only go with a cool crisp beer!

:D

Oedo 808
08-13-2009, 06:26 PM

:eek:

Tea goes with anything and everything you heathen!

Burn the heretic!

Don't worry, the rain'll put thee out. ;)

cresshead
08-14-2009, 12:13 PM

pizza and red wine is okay as well...:thumbsup:

cresshead
08-14-2009, 06:12 PM
Meats Meier has put his zbrush 3 training videos up on his site for free to view

http://www.3dartspace.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=306

BlueApple
08-14-2009, 06:31 PM
Meats Meier has put his zbrush 3 training videos up on his site for free to view

http://www.3dartspace.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=306

Bookmarked- thanks for sharing.

dbigers
08-14-2009, 06:36 PM
Awesome is the only word I can think of, and that isn't enough!!

probiner
08-14-2009, 06:37 PM
o_O'

Looks like the hard job now is knowing to place the structure well.

cresshead
08-15-2009, 03:50 AM
Bookmarked- thanks for sharing.

also bookmark these too :thumbsup:
http://www.vimeo.com/album/60297