PDA

View Full Version : Demo Reels

Andyjaggy
08-11-2009, 03:39 PM
I was just watching some peoples demo reels on you tube and I was wondering if anyone else shares my opinions on this subject.

I found myself much more interested in the reels that had lots of personal work, or at least smaller known projects in it, then the reels that had nothing but big feature film work.

I see someone reel that has a bunch of LOTR shots, 300 shots, and other big blockbusters and I think, so what, you did what, 1 percent of the work on that shot. You maybe animated that bird that flew across the screen or something? I like to see things that are done by that person alone, so you can really get a sense for what skills they have.

Anyone else feel the same way?

shrox
08-11-2009, 03:45 PM
I was just watching some peoples demo reels on you tube and I was wondering if anyone else shares my opinions on this subject.

I found myself much more interested in the reels that had lots of personal work, or at least smaller known projects in it, then the reels that had nothing but big feature film work.

I see someone reel that has a bunch of LOTR shots, 300 shots, and other big blockbusters and I think, so what, you did what, 1 percent of the work on that shot. You maybe animated that bird that flew across the screen or something? I like to see things that are done by that person alone, so you can really get a sense for what skills they have.

Anyone else feel the same way?

I know what you mean. I do everything myself, even when working a company like Sega. But then convincing people that I did everything myself in my reels can be challenging.

AdamAvenali
08-11-2009, 03:46 PM
i agree to a degree (rhyming not intentional haha). i like to see those big shots on reels, mostly because i'm curious how much one person is responsible for, but it either has to have a nice shot breakdown posted somewhere or more of a matte-painter/compositor-like reel, where they break down the shot element by element and clearly show what was done.

Andyjaggy
08-11-2009, 03:48 PM
yeah, it's cool when they break the shot down so you can see what they actually did, but otherwise it seems meaningless.

shrox
08-11-2009, 03:50 PM
I think I will start adding some breakdown in my reels. Probably a good idea.

Mike_RB
08-11-2009, 04:01 PM
haha, I'm working on my reel currently and it's just a bunch of cool stuff slammed together. No break downs. :) But then again, I was the lead 3d artist on most of it, in particular the Iron Man stuff so I don't care. :)

Andyjaggy
08-11-2009, 04:10 PM
haha, I'm working on my reel currently and it's just a bunch of cool stuff slammed together. No break downs. :) But then again, I was the lead 3d artist on most of it, in particular the Iron Man stuff so I don't care. :)

Well if you did most of it great! Be sure to say so though. Plus I doubt you are actually looking for work, so it's probably more for your own satisfaction I would guess?

Mike_RB
08-11-2009, 04:15 PM
Well if you did most of it great! Be sure to say so though. Plus I doubt you are actually looking for work, so it's probably more for your own satisfaction I would guess?

I'm working as a contractor for The Embassy right now, so I'm updating things so that if I want to search around or grab remote work I don't have a reel from 2005 on my site. :)

OnlineRender
08-13-2009, 08:16 AM
in our last year of uni we had to do shot breakdowns as part of the course , there actually difficult to do at times, more animating and masking then wireframe breakdowns blah blah blah .

http://www.vimeo.com/4616878 for example cheesy one did by me !
please NT admin enable vimeo direct streamming . .

Juancho00
08-13-2009, 11:00 AM
I think that having blockbuster stuff made by one of the lead VFX houses means that the person has enough skills to be at that company. That also means that the person probably was part of a team and probably knows how to work with people, under tight deadlines. A reel that contains personal projects is more dificult to evaluate, since the person probably had all the time in the world to make it, and may not be able to work in a team, which is very important.

I think that a balance is always good, and that, regardless of the content, people may or may not be as good for the company as the demo reel shows. there is alwaya a risk factor I guess. but if somebody has lord of the rings in his/her demo, probably I would choose them over somebody that shows equal skills with a pesronal project. And of course, it is always posible to check with the last company that the person worked on to get some references.