PDA

View Full Version : ...more Sas, sorry...

nopictures
08-26-2003, 11:10 AM
First off, I'll admit it, I'm fairly new to the world of CGI. Before getting into Lightwave, I was using ElectricImage - and with that, I never got past version 2.9. Not that it has anything to do with my question/plea, I just thought I'd let anyone who answers know what kind of user I am. Or something. I guess.

Anyway, I'm sure everyone is super excited that there's another Sasquatch post out there! I'm sure if I went back through the posts I could eventually find an answer, but I'd much rather make another Sasquatch post to annoy everyone. Because I'm lazy and horrible. Sorry...

Anyway, I've just recently gotten into my first rounds of character animation. Never done it before. I've rendered out plenty of scenes using Sasquatch before simply creating grass on hills or a plain, but never hair on a head. Considering how easy grass seems to be, I figured, can't be too difficult. Well, apparently it is for me.

After three paragraphs, finally, here's my problem: I tried putting hair onto a head model. First, Sasquatch crashes. Apparently I had more than one layer, easy fix, my own stupid fault. Now, when I try to render with Sas, it hates my model - it says no, you can't use that model, sorry. I know you all know the message because I'm sure people have come on here saying "thing don't work i am stuck lolol!!1" or some such thing.

Okay, so Sasquatch doesn't like my model, whatever, let's try SasLite. Sure, I won't have shadows unless I composite, whatever, I don't have time. SasLite works fine... only on certain camera angles the hair dissapears. I'm thinking this has something to do with SasLite not liking transparencies - hell, that's the reason I bought Sasquatch in the first place. So, I'm thinking, once again, I need to use Sasquatch in order to actually attempt any form of animation. Still, I get that age old message:

"Sasquatch: I can't read this objects geometry. Maybe it's a special unsupported LW6 type. If it's a normal polygon object exported from modeler, you need to use LW's 'Save Object.'"

I did. It isn't LW6. I hate today. I hate Sasquatch.

I'm fairly certain there's something simple I'm missing. So if anyone actually read all this and wants to make me feel really stupid, by all means make me feel stupid. I want to feel stupid! It's the only way I'll learn!

Someone out there, help me out, make me feel stupid...

-N

Dodgy
08-26-2003, 12:50 PM
Would you be willing to email your model/scene? So I could check it out and see what you are doing wrong :)

nopictures
08-26-2003, 01:01 PM
I have absolutely no problem with that! Once I get your email address I'll send it right off :) Thank you!

-N

Mylenium
08-26-2003, 01:33 PM
Have you tripled your polys (at least the non-planar ones)? If you are working with SubDs there might also be a problem with the deformation order (it should be set to last). Just a few wild guesses after a long and tiresome day....

Mylenium

nopictures
08-26-2003, 02:04 PM
I haven't tripled my polys, though the deformation order is set to last... should I try to triple the polys?

-N

Mattoo
08-26-2003, 05:09 PM
I've read your question/essay twice and laughed each time. You have a unique way with words.

The second reason I read your message twice was because I couldn't make out what version of LW you are using other than to say it isn't version 6.

Lastly, I can't be of any help, I've used Sasquatch quite a bit and have never witnessed anything like you describe. You'll have to be more specific.
Could you post a picture of the scene/model without Sasquatch applied.

PS. you shouldn't need to triple your polys, nore should you worry about layers, Sasquatch supports both.

nopictures
08-27-2003, 02:05 AM
Hiya - thank you, I try to be both courteous and entertaining simultaneously :)

I'm using version 7 of Lightwave, but I think I may have found part of the problem... the version of Sasquatch I'm using, I believe, doesn't like SubPatches. I like hitting tab... it makes things pretty... is that so wrong?

Anyway, after seeing some of the models out there first hand, I'm beginning to think I don't know the first thing about modeling... I do read manuals! I swear! It's just that I learn better... when... you know... I teach... myself... err... I'm not sure what's going on...

I feel slightly embarassed to post pictures, of my particular model, after seeing some of the amazing things people have done... but then, I'm learning... right? ....riiiiight?? Anyway, I'll post them tomorrow, as fatigue seems to be overwhelming me.

Anyway, I think it's a subpatch problem for me... I dunno... nothing works for me ever! I do believe my method of modeling is completely inane and I would get rid of a lot of headaches with a couple of pointers. I suppose.

I'll post pics tomorrow. Thank you once again :)

-N

Mattoo
08-27-2003, 02:13 PM
No problem, no one knows everything - except for three people.

Regardless, I do remember that early versions of Sasquatch had trouble with sub-patch objects. I'd suggest upgrading both LW (it's now on 7.5) and Sasquatch - both are free upgrades.