PDA

View Full Version : Curious about CORE

FastFeet
08-11-2009, 11:34 AM
Hi

first there really is no tech info out there about core.

But I do remember that was said that app will use ALL cores.

So if i model and bevel or extrude 1 million polys at the same time will it use all cores?

if true wonderful.

Matt
08-11-2009, 12:45 PM
Technical information can be found here:

http://www.newtek.com/lightwave/core/techfaq.php

Not sure about the threaded modelling question, one of the developer team members would need to answer that.

jayroth
08-11-2009, 01:01 PM
CORE is a multi-processor, multi-threaded environment. Essentially, any operation that can be made multi-threaded typically is. In some cases, operations cannot be made multi-threaded, and thus will use only a single thread/node. Also, development is limited by the capabilities of the Integrated Development Environments, and the linkers and compilers used. As of today, it is assumed that most IDEs, etc., produce efficient results for up to 8 nodes, at which point those efficiencies become less as more nodes are added (still good results though.) As the industry moves forward, these efficiencies will likely improve over time.

FastFeet
08-12-2009, 03:21 AM
CORE is a multi-processor, multi-threaded environment. Essentially, any operation that can be made multi-threaded typically is. In some cases, operations cannot be made multi-threaded, and thus will use only a single thread/node. Also, development is limited by the capabilities of the Integrated Development Environments, and the linkers and compilers used. As of today, it is assumed that most IDEs, etc., produce efficient results for up to 8 nodes, at which point those efficiencies become less as more nodes are added (still good results though.) As the industry moves forward, these efficiencies will likely improve over time.

Thank you Jay, for taking the time to answer, that alone deserves praise, as most other companies just go into "ignore mode".

With VC or more so Intel's compiler, I believe that those restrictions have gone, it's now only limited by creative development and algorithm skills.

But I commend you for making as much as (hopefully all) multi-threaded, there is 'nothing' more pointless that some of the "big" apps, stating that you need a quad core to run it, but 99% of the program only uses 1 core. Pure and utter frustration.

What those "big" apps companies don't seem to be in touch with reality, they dont seem to understand you cant even buy a 1 core machine any more.

And what with today's ultra high poly requirements and needs, it is really good to know that someone out there has the vision and the guts to actually make the application that IS designed for today's hardware.

Congratulations on doing this, and do try for 100%, we need it, in the trenches, with production challenges every day demanding more and more.

I really am keen to see the final release, I'll definitely be one of the first to seriously take a look at this when the production release is out.